C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Costco Gas is Top Tier?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:34 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Costco Gas is Top Tier?

I recently got a Costco membership about a month ago. I have been filling up my daily drivers with Costco gas. While filling up I see these signs for 5x Detergent in their gas, improved performance, etc. Stuff you would see boasted about with Top Tier gas. So I came home and looked it up online. Costco's website prominently shows the Top Tier logo
http://www.costco.com/gasoline.html

And you can see here they are on the list of TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

When did this happen?

EDIT: I just found the answer to my question. Looks like it just happened according to their website. At 10 to 20 cents less per gallon than the local Chevron here, the Corvette is getting Costco gas going forward.

As of March 2014 Costco is listed as a TOP TIER™ gasoline retailer. Find out more at toptiergas.com/retailers.html.

Last edited by Homer3D; 03-27-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: http://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-gasoline.html
Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM
Neil Baker
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default top tier gas

I don't see Sunoco on the list. Why?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:53 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Maybe top tier is an advertising/marketing program? And that's why Sunoco doesn't participate? As to Costco, up until just a short while ago, they never wrote on their gas receipts about all the additives they were adding which could mean many things. Such as, previously, they were adding the bare minimum required. Now, there's all this mumbo-jumbo at the bottom of each receipt. I'm fairly certain it's a good thing. Maybe.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe costco uses 10% ethanol in their gas. When i use their premium gas in infiniti g35, i get 1-2 mpg less than when i fill at Chevron. I guess my driving pattern is more or less the same as it is used for commute. I am still gonna stick to Chevron/Shell for corvette.

Anyone is aware if Chevron/Shell uses 10% ethanol too?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes indeed, Costco gas has 10% ethanol. I never do a full fill up there, just a top off of 3 to 5 gallons. I do believe I get better mileage with another brand of premium fuel.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I can tell you this, I have an Evo X in the garage with a custom turbo and tune. This car is VERY PICKY in what fuel it'll take before it'll start showing knock. I use Sam's Club gas in it and it runs like a champ. Since then, I've been using Sam's fuel in my Vette. Cheaper and works.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 PM
zero11
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure they all use a blend of ethanol in their gas ,I will stick to big name brands in my area.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

I typically fill my DD (2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv) with shell, but the first time I used costco gas, I noticed my average fuel economy went from ~37.5 to 39. Thought it must have been good traffic or I was easier on the throttle than normal, so I went back to shell and saw my normal 37-38 average. Last week I went by costco and filled up, and once again, I'm seeing <39 mpg.

I'm starting to think this may not be just a coincidence.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by TRSCobra
I typically fill my DD (2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv) with shell, but the first time I used costco gas, I noticed my average fuel economy went from ~37.5 to 39. Thought it must have been good traffic or I was easier on the throttle than normal, so I went back to shell and saw my normal 37-38 average. Last week I went by costco and filled up, and once again, I'm seeing <39 mpg.

I'm starting to think this may not be just a coincidence.
This is about the time of year when refiners are switching from winter blend to summer blend gas. The difference is vapor pressure, and the thing that is manipulated is percent added butane. Butane isn’t very dense and thus doesn’t contain as much energy. All other things being equal, winter gas with more butane for higher vapor pressure will give about 3-5% lower mileage. So it is possible that you are still getting winter blend gas at Shell, while your Costco station has switched to summer blend. Of course, that explanation wouldn’t make sense if you are still seeing the difference in another month when all will be on summer blend.

To forestall a couple of added questions, the reason most people probably don’t notice this difference is that air conditioners don’t run much in the winter, and they also cost some mileage. So the inherently lower mileage of winter blend gas is not noticed because air conditioners are not robbing mileage in winter. And no, this is not an oil company conspiracy to rob consumers in the winter. Cars need higher vapor pressure gas in winter to compensate for lower temperatures when the engine is started from cold. Without the extra butane, cold engines wouldn’t run very smoothly for the first few miles on cold mornings.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 PM
TRSCobra
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 239 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
This is about the time of year when refiners are switching from winter blend to summer blend gas. The difference is vapor pressure, and the thing that is manipulated is percent added butane. Butane isn’t very dense and thus doesn’t contain as much energy. All other things being equal, winter gas with more butane for higher vapor pressure will give about 3-5% lower mileage. So it is possible that you are still getting winter blend gas at Shell, while your Costco station has switched to summer blend. Of course, that explanation wouldn’t make sense if you are still seeing the difference in another month when all will be on summer blend.

To forestall a couple of added questions, the reason most people probably don’t notice this difference is that air conditioners don’t run much in the winter, and they also cost some mileage. So the inherently lower mileage of winter blend gas is not noticed because air conditioners are not robbing mileage in winter. And no, this is not an oil company conspiracy to rob consumers in the winter. Cars need higher vapor pressure gas in winter to compensate for lower temperatures when the engine is started from cold. Without the extra butane, cold engines wouldn’t run very smoothly for the first few miles on cold mornings.
Had the first costco tank been recently, I would agree with you, but my first tank was in early January, so I doubt they were running summer blend. I won't be regularly using costco gas anyway, as it is farther out of my way than my usual shell station. It is something I will continue to keep an eye on when I do make costco runs, though.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:56 PM
seong
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB

Thanks for the good info. I heard there was difference between winter gas and summer gas, but didn't know what the differences were. Now I do, thanks to you!!

About Costco gas: I never went to Costco gas station, because someone told me their gas wasn't as good as name brands like Shell. After reading this thread, I may give it a try. (not with my vette, but with my DD)
Old 03-27-2014, 06:43 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeeze....Been using Costco for years (08) in my Z since new....no problems....almost 40,000 miles....That was before I "got educated" on using the correct gas...Hmmmm, Now that I am educated... Think I will switch to Costco....Ha
I am waiting for the guys who "always put regular gas in their Vettes" cause ....well it is cheaper and they are saving money....to chime in.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Yeah that extra 2.00 per tankful oughta bankrupt a person
Old 07-18-2015, 05:13 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriotZ
Jeeze....Been using Costco for years (08) in my Z since new....no problems....almost 40,000 miles....That was before I "got educated" on using the correct gas...Hmmmm, Now that I am educated... Think I will switch to Costco....Ha
I am waiting for the guys who "always put regular gas in their Vettes" cause ....well it is cheaper and they are saving money....to chime in.
I'll bite. I get a kick out of statements exclaiming "no problems...almost 40,000 miles." How scientific is that? What then does it mean for someone who has used regular and hasn't had any problems in 40,000 miles?

This reminds me of my snowmobile ownership and breaking it in. Several state that doing it the Motoman Method has given them no problems and their sled is fast. Who's to say that following the owner's manual break-in method wouldn't provide the same result? Unless you have two identical cars/vehicles/whatevers... and drive them exactly the same while altering only the item(s) being tested, one cannot conclude that doing it this way over that way was better.

(Yes, I know this is a revived thread)

Jon
Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Manual said to pump premium but didn't say which brand.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_6
Manual said to pump premium but didn't say which brand.
Any of the Top Tier brands are just fine for the car. The site lists all brands that qualify. They also explain what it takes for a brand to be listed, which is more than just the level of detergent.

http://www.toptiergas.com
Old 07-18-2015, 06:44 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I'm surprised citgo and Sunoco aren't on the list.

Get notified of new replies

To Costco Gas is Top Tier?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:51 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm sure different station use different blends all the time to make there gas "better" in some way to advertise it that way.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Zero_6
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks Lisa. I'll be pumping Shell and BP.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:32 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

http://pure-gas.org/

I used this site to plan my trip to Bowling Green and South Carolina.

I'm more for using non-ethanol, low sulfur gas.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Costco Gas is Top Tier?