C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recycle air button

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
pk5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recycle air button

Does the c6 recycle air button let in air or no? Every other car I've owned let noticeable (through the vents) air in so that when I didn't want the A/C on but was a little hot that would cool it down.

I bought a used c6 and haven't noticed any air coming in so I'm wondering if it's an issue or that's just the way it is
Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

If you're talking about the recirculation button, 2nd button from the left, while it's lit, no outside air is coming in.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 PM
pk5
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
If you're talking about the recirculation button, 2nd button from the left, while it's lit, no outside air is coming in.
Yeah, that button. I'm referring to when it's not lit
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by pk5
Yeah, that button. I'm referring to when it's not lit
Yes, it's supposed to let fresh air in when the light's not on. I'm pretty sure even when it's on recycle, it still lets some fresh air in for safety.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:39 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

When you press that button and it lights up, it not only keeps the outside air out, it also turns the fan up a notch (if the system is on). If the system is off it will effectively keep any air from moving into the cabin. When that button is not lit, it allows the outside air to be force -fed (at a verrrrry small amount) into the cabin depending on the speed of the car, even when the system is off. When the system is on, it allows fresh air into the cabin at the fan speed.

lisa
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 PM
pk5
Advanced

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
Yes, it's supposed to let fresh air in when the light's not on. I'm pretty sure even when it's on recycle, it still lets some fresh air in for safety.
Originally Posted by owc6
When you press that button and it lights up, it not only keeps the outside air out, it also turns the fan up a notch (if the system is on). If the system is off it will effectively keep any air from moving into the cabin. When that button is not lit, it allows the outside air to be force -fed (at a verrrrry small amount) into the cabin depending on the speed of the car, even when the system is off. When the system is on, it allows fresh air into the cabin at the fan speed.

lisa
So is the air that's coming in noticeable/feel-able through the vents?

I've only had cars with manual A/C controls before and those would let the air in at whatever temperature the controls were set at. Not sure how it works with digital/electronic controls
Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Correct, if the recycle button is not lit, it still lets some outside air in. Usually at the temp that was set when the system was shut down. For example: if the temp inside was set at 90 and you turned it off, it will still feed hot air, and when you find that your feet are burning up, even though the system is turned off, you will need to turn it on and turn the temp down. Let it engage enough that the fans start and then you can turn it off at the new set temp. It will then feed the new cooler air to your feet, or wherever you have it turned to, at a force that is dependent on the speed of the car.

lisa
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

The C6 climate controls will not let you just draw in outside air without adding either heat or cooling to it. Very few cars now days will let you pull in untreated outside air.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 PM
pk5
Advanced

Originally Posted by owc6
Correct, if the recycle button is not lit, it still lets some outside air in. Usually at the temp that was set when the system was shut down. For example: if the temp inside was set at 90 and you turned it off, it will still feed hot air, and when you find that your feet are burning up, even though the system is turned off, you will need to turn it on and turn the temp down. Let it engage enough that the fans start and then you can turn it off at the new set temp. It will then feed the new cooler air to your feet, or wherever you have it turned to, at a force that is dependent on the speed of the car.

lisa
Hmm if I can't feel any air at all coming through when the light is not lit, something's probably wrong?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 PM
pk5
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimTN
The C6 climate controls will not let you just draw in outside air without adding either heat or cooling to it. Very few cars now days will let you pull in untreated outside air.
Got ya. That's what I want - outside air coming in at whatever temperature it's set at (so I don't always have to turn the A/C on) - but it seems to be not working
Old 03-30-2014, 11:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

You aren't going to get noticeable airflow through the vents with the system off, if that is the question you are really asking.
Which doesn't negate what I said earlier. lol

lisa
Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Regardless of the recirculating button, you can still get nasty smells like skunks and cars that over pollute.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Gaskill
Instructor

Originally Posted by pk5
Got ya. That's what I want - outside air coming in at whatever temperature it's set at (so I don't always have to turn the A/C on) - but it seems to be not working
You could have a clogged up cabin filter. I bought my car with 60k miles, and it looked as if it had never been changed. New filter made big difference in air flow.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gaskill
You could have a clogged up cabin filter. I bought my car with 60k miles, and it looked as if it had never been changed. New filter made big difference in air flow.

A friend changed his for the first time at 45k miles, and said "now my heater works again!"
Old 03-31-2014, 10:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

A friend changed his for the first time at 45k miles, and said "now my heater works again!"
OK, so now that convinced me it needs changed. I changed it the first and only time around the 30K mark and now I'm at 116K.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
OK, so now that convinced me it needs changed. I changed it the first and only time around the 30K mark and now I'm at 116K.
Wow, with that many miles, it's probably bad!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:53 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
By "safety," we will all assume you mean "as a way to offset the burrito supreme I just consumed."
Old 04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Another important function of the RECIRC button is to prevent warm air from coming out of the vents in the footwells in the summer. This is very noticeable when it is warm outside and the top is down or the roof panel is out.

Get notified of new replies

To Recycle air button

Quick Reply: Recycle air button