Black wheels, I dont get it - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Black wheels, I dont get it

Closed Thread
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
donwil
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Nov 2008
Location: omaha nebraska
Posts: 1,446
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Black wheels, I dont get it

I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
donwil is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwil View Post
I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
black wheels look good on some cars,but not all cars.if you are going with the mean modern look,then black wheels are the ticket.gm put black wheels on my 2012 gs ce edition for a reason.with the carbon flash paint,which is really black metalflake,and 2 big flat black racing stripes from front to back gives it that modern mean look.i saw a 2012 gs centennial edition car like mine at a car show.the owner had replaced the black wheels with chrome ones.i did not know it was a ce edition until I got real close to look at it.did it look bad with chrome wheels?,not really.what it did was make it look like any other black vette with chrome wheels.i bought my car because it was the meanest looking vette I had ever seen,and it still holds true today for me.



Last edited by lordofwar; 04-08-2014 at 08:21 PM.
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
RODXL1200
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '13
 
RODXL1200's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2003
Location: Santa clarita Ca
Posts: 480
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I am 55 years old and love the blacked out look!
Attached Images
 
RODXL1200 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
z edge
CF Senior Member
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: BOOMER SOONER
Posts: 8,547
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I have chrome gumbys on my cyber gray coupe. I like them but was considering getting comp gray or black wheels to give it a meaner look. I cant decide which to go with but will keep the chromes also in case I want to switch back. I think it just depends on the car and the color, black wheels look mean but chrome still looks good. The only thing I don't like is the base silver wheels, those look plain imho.
z edge is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
saplumr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Albans, WV
Posts: 10,532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by z edge View Post
I have chrome gumbys on my cyber gray coupe. I like them but was considering getting comp gray or black wheels to give it a meaner look. I cant decide which to go with but will keep the chromes also in case I want to switch back. I think it just depends on the car and the color, black wheels look mean but chrome still looks good. The only thing I don't like is the base silver wheels, those look plain imho.
Unlike chrome it's impossible to see detail on black from any distance.
saplumr is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
z06clif
CF Senior Member
 
z06clif's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Location: Mt. Sinai NY
Posts: 3,457
Thanked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Definitely nasty(as in I like) looking. Although I would like them with the red stripe around the rim. When I was younger there were "red lined" tires on certain models that I fell in love with but they don't make them now or if they do they would be cost preventative. Its all in the eye of the beholder. ive seen some things done to cars that make me crazy but its not for me to judge.

Clif
z06clif is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
96GS#007
Tech Contributor
 
96GS#007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 7,515
Thanked 76 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwil View Post
I know Im going to get torched for this but to me black wheels are the worst thing ever. You cant see the design very well unless your close,they do nothing to enhance the cars color and basically look like your driving on 4 spares. How can people like these wheels and pay for them? you couldn't give me a set. But what do I know? I'm the old "get off my lawn "guy. Ok let the destruction begin!
Been discussed a million times. Don't like 'em, don't buy 'em. Maybe time for a vision test.

Obviously a slow day for the :
96GS#007 is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
SUB VETTE
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
SUB VETTE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego CA
Posts: 3,549
Thanked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Default

I'm with the OP. Black wheels do nothing for me

But then that's me and not you
SUB VETTE is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #9
C5A
CF Senior Member
 
C5A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Area California
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes, I am biased cause I think my 2011 black GS looks fantastic with chrome wheels.
C5A is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #10
z edge
CF Senior Member
 
z edge's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: BOOMER SOONER
Posts: 8,547
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
Unlike chrome it's impossible to see detail on black from any distance.
was even thinking about something like this instead of comp gray



not sure if I want the spyder wheels or the cup wheels though

these would look good too


Last edited by z edge; 04-08-2014 at 08:57 PM.
z edge is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
su8pack1
CF Senior Member
 
su8pack1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 36,906
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Default

The same with carbon fiber, it just looks unfinished.
su8pack1 is online now  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #12
tomtoro
CF Senior Member
 
tomtoro's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2013
Posts: 239
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Beautiful Car!!!!

Black wheels for me and will plasti dip mine this spring to see if I want it permanent. Then powder coat.

I don't have that awesome metal flake paint, but black on black with black(rims) is good with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofwar View Post
black wheels look good on some cars,but not all cars.if you are going with the mean modern look,then black wheels are the ticket.gm put black wheels on my 2012 gs ce edition for a reason.with the carbon flash paint,which is really black metalflake,and 2 big flat black racing stripes from front to back gives it that modern mean look.i saw a 2012 gs centennial edition car like mine at a car show.the owner had replaced the black wheels with chrome ones.i did not know it was a ce edition until I got real close to look at it.did it look bad with chrome wheels?,not really.what it did was make it look like any other black vette with chrome wheels.i bought my car because it was the meanest looking vette I had ever seen,and it still holds true today for me.


tomtoro is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Posts: 27,422
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

I'm not a fan of black wheels.
VET4LES is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
I'm not a fan of black wheels.
if that is your red vette in your avatar,then I say it looks better with chrome wheels.like I stated black wheels look good on certain cars.
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
hdkeno
CF Senior Member
 
hdkeno's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Enfield CT
Posts: 1,969
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I personally am not a big fan of black wheels,but if you like them go for it. When i had my c5 and spent time on c5 general, Ive noticed a lot more guys (and gals) put the black wheels on their c5's. Much more so then with the c6's...
hdkeno is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #16
not08crmanymore
CF Senior Member
 
not08crmanymore's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2008
Posts: 19,444
Thanks: 0
Thanked 64 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Black wheels,comp gray wheels etc change the whole look of the car.I was a chrome wheels guy,then tried black one day and comp gray on my 05. Simply fell in love with the look.Would never go back to the 60's,70's, 80's era chrome look! I like my car looking sinister and the dark wheels do that for it. Oh and those comp gray wheels on the 05??300 buck option...the black ones on my '13 GS?495...CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!For the record..I'm a guy from the era when CADDY'S were luxury cars and everybody had whitewall tires!!I can't understand why no one use whitewalls anymore,young kids don't know what they are,and everybody seems to think Caddy's are race cars!!

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 04-08-2014 at 08:50 PM.
not08crmanymore is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
lordofwar
CF Senior Member
 
lordofwar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,633
Thanked 72 Times in 53 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by not08crmanymore View Post
Black wheels,comp gray wheels etc change the whole look of the car.I was a chrome wheels guy,then tried black one day and comp gray on my 05. Simply fell in love with the look.Would never go back to the 60's,70's, 80's era chrome look! I like my car looking sinister and the dark wheels do that for it. Oh and those comp gray wheels on the 05??300 buck option...the black ones on my '13 GS?495...CAN'T BEAT THAT WITH A STICK!
lordofwar is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #18
Markallamerican
CF Senior Member
 
Markallamerican's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Flagstaff Az.
Posts: 182
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm not a fan either, looks cheap, but I try to keep an open mind. Black chrome does look pretty good tho
Markallamerican is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
saplumr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Saint Albans, WV
Posts: 10,532
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Standard mode of operation goes like this. Black wheel people say chrome is out of date and for old people with gold chains....chrome wheel people say black is best on LEO vehicles or temporary tire. Nobody should care one bit what one or the other thinks or says.
saplumr is offline  
Old 04-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #20
slosh123
CF Member
 
slosh123's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2013
Location: Cherry Valley Illinois
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5A View Post
Yes, I am biased cause I think my 2011 black GS looks fantastic with chrome wheels.


Mine is a 2010 and black wheels are not my thing. But if you like them, enjoy. That is why Baskin Robbins makes 32 flavors!
Attached Images
 
slosh123 is offline  
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Black wheels, I dont get it
  •  
     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Aftermarket spyder wheels Tennis_pr0 C6 Corvette General Discussion 23 02-08-2016 10:13 PM
    Black OEM Z06 wheels junkpatrol C7 General Discussion 1 07-17-2015 04:05 PM
    For those of you with black wheels... ShockwaveGT Wheels & Tires 4 01-22-2015 11:48 AM
    Black Chrome Wheels - Issues? Quick99 C7 General Discussion 6 12-20-2014 02:06 AM
    Calling All Black Vettes. SCZ51 C6 Corvette General Discussion 73 04-12-2007 11:39 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.