C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Way to get light scratches out of LeMans Blue Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Corvettes_Rock
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Way to get light scratches out of LeMans Blue Paint?

Best Way to get light scratches out of LeMans Blue Paint? First LeMans Blue Vette I've had....

Prior owner put light scratches on back area around truck area by obviously putting things in trunk with no protection as to the paint.
1) Best product to buff it out?
2) Preferred method to buff?

Thanks for any info you can give me, just bought it 2 months ago and light scratches all around trunk area driving me crazy.

Thanks so much. Sherry
Old 04-12-2014, 11:17 AM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Really depends on how "light" they are. A light polishing with a random orbital polisher and a swirl/scratch remover polish would be a good start. If that doesn't sound like something you'd like to do, a detailer or body shop could do it for not too much money.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:19 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Are the scratches through the clear as well as the base coat? If it is in the clear coat only, can you feel the scratches with your finger nail? If not they most likely can be buffed out, if you can, it will take a professional to correct it,

I recommend an random orbital buffer unless you have experience with a circular buffer. Most of the top brand swirl and haze removers and polishes have the cutting ability to remove light scratches, but you will need to work at it, as the clear coat on Corvette is very hard, but also very thin.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Corvettes_Rock
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the responses....

I found Scratch Away, clear coat Paint Restore at Corvette Central, for $15...thinking of trying this?????

Guard Dad, where would I find the swirl/scratch remover polish???? Thanks, Sherry
Old 04-12-2014, 11:39 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

I had the same on my 08 black vette.I wet sanded with 2000 grit & used my flex DA & WolfGang stuff...
Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Sherry,
This kind of paint correction is extremely difficult to do by hand, you really need a dual-action buffer and all the associated pads and product that go with it. If you are willing to lay out the money to buy everything and learn to detail your car(s) yourself there is a lot of advise in the Car Care Discussion forum. If you don't plan on doing that, I suggest you have a professional detailer evaluate your Corvette's needs.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Corvettes_Rock
Heel & Toe

Advice well taken...
Old 04-12-2014, 12:37 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Sherry, you have not said how deep the scratches are. If you can fell them with you nail, they will be extremely difficult to remove. As mentioned in my earlier post and others have said you will need to invest in some supplies such as the orbital buffer and different pads as well as the polishes. Wet sanding is an option, but ift is also something that I would not suggest trying unless you have done it before.

I have used Adams products for many years and he also has a forum that is all about detailing. He is a forum vendor and his products carry the GM logo as they have been licensed by GM as the official car care product for new Corvette's and Camaro's. Here is a link to his site, http://www.adamsforums.com/index.php. The members can really help you out and you may find someone on there that is in your area and would be willing to help you out.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

My dad's red 3000GT has tons of hairline and swirl mark scratches. I used a clay bar, some McGuires polish of sorts and then their gold class wax and the car looked like a different car. Try it by hand first and expect to spend a whole day at it. It's a lot of work, but kinda fun seeing the changes. Unless your a pro with a buffer, I wouldn't do it. When that wax and polish ware off the track marks are worse than before. However, if your a pro go for it.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:04 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
My dad's red 3000GT has tons of hairline and swirl mark scratches. I used a clay bar, some McGuires polish of sorts and then their gold class wax and the car looked like a different car. Try it by hand first and expect to spend a whole day at it. It's a lot of work, but kinda fun seeing the changes. Unless your a pro with a buffer, I wouldn't do it. When that wax and polish ware off the track marks are worse than before. However, if your a pro go for it.
Actually a random orbit buffer will bot harm the clear coat or paint, it is the big circular buffers that do the damage unless you are well versed in the use of them. I use a Ports Cable at least twice a year on my '07 and I did on my '01 and never had an issue.

There is always the Glazing route to try. A good glaze will fillin the small scratches and swirls, but they will appear again when the glaze wears off. A good coat of glaze followed with a good wax will last a while. It is easier then the buffing, but then again you are not fixing the issue, only masking it and again it will only work on minor scratches and swirls.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Way to get light scratches out of LeMans Blue Paint?

Quick Reply: Best Way to get light scratches out of LeMans Blue Paint?