C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat blocking

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat blocking

SO i'm curious does BXT II RAAMmat or Peal and Stick Ensolite block heat? Texas summers are coming up and girlfriend has already voiced concerns about the heat in my car after long trips and my phone does get a bit toasty, so would like to block a bit of heat. Unsure if these products block much in the way of heat though, do claim to do so on the website but not really sure.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I cannot answer you about those specific products.

But I have tried two products (together) from Forum Vendors that were less than helpful. One was the pre-cut insulation that one puts on the bottom of the drink holder and the center console, and the other was the stick on stuff that goes external to the tunnel cover. Both were easy to install but had little (if any) impact.

I have not tried that forum vendor insulated tunnel plate as that is harder to install and requires the exhaust to be dropped.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:21 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

i'm very interested in addressing the heat in the tunnel since my exhaust is presently dropped due to my header and x-pipe install. so...what have most ppl used that works and is a noticeable improvement?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 PM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thyshallsmite
SO i'm curious does BXT II RAAMmat or Peal and Stick Ensolite block heat? Texas summers are coming up and girlfriend has already voiced concerns about the heat in my car after long trips and my phone does get a bit toasty, so would like to block a bit of heat. Unsure if these products block much in the way of heat though, do claim to do so on the website but not really sure.
I insulated my tunnel plate with the BER Z Cool Heat Shield. I didn't take any before/after temp readings to give actual data, but it used to feel like the seat heaters were on high setting after about a half hour drive. Seems to be ALOT better now. I don't know what the Texas Summer will bring, but for a reasonable price and less than an hour of effort, I would recommend this install.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
i'm very interested in addressing the heat in the tunnel since my exhaust is presently dropped due to my header and x-pipe install. so...what have most ppl used that works and is a noticeable improvement?
Elite Engineering Insulated Tunnel Plate is the best i've found in my research, however i'm not dropping my exahust anytime soon soo a bit of a pain to install for me. I've got the kit for ramm and ensolite though, course that was more for noise than heat blocking. Curious if these make a significant difference or do i need a 3rd material here.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette4Vet
I insulated my tunnel plate with the BER Z Cool Heat Shield. I didn't take any before/after temp readings to give actual data, but it used to feel like the seat heaters were on high setting after about a half hour drive. Seems to be ALOT better now. I don't know what the Texas Summer will bring, but for a reasonable price and less than an hour of effort, I would recommend this install.
just crawl under and stick it on? seems pretty great to me if it works, worth the $80 investment
Old 04-14-2014, 04:45 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette4Vet
thanks...where do i find this?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM
thyshallsmite
Instructor

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
thanks...where do i find this?
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...at-shield.html

this dude according to my googling
Old 04-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Vette4Vet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thyshallsmite
just crawl under and stick it on? seems pretty great to me if it works, worth the $80 investment
It's not quite that simple... There is very little room to work. There was another members post that had a nice trick with duct tape to peel the backing off once you get the insulation piece squeezed up there, I highly recommend finding that post and following what he did. Take your time and be patient, you can get it done in an hour... Much better than dropping the exhaust. There may be better solutions out there but when I saw this thing without the "Corvette tax" that a lot of things have, I figured I'd give it a shot. So far, I'm very glad I did.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:29 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I installed the tunnel plate but it didn't work like I expected it to work. I'm going to try some insulation under the interior panel.

Get notified of new replies

To Heat blocking

Quick Reply: Heat blocking