C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream of a liftime or POS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 PM
We R 60
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dream of a liftime or POS?

2012 with 16,000 miles. Taking it into the dealer for:

airbag light
targa top rattle
steering wheel squeak (for the second time)
brake pedal squeak
leather worn through on bolster

My '72 Mustang II had fewer squeaks and rattles.

Completing the quality experience, I just tried to arrange a service appointment on the dealer's website. It's down and I should try again later.

Seriously?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by We R 60

airbag light
targa top rattle
brake pedal squeak

Completing the quality experience, I just tried to arrange a service appointment on the dealer's website. It's down and I should try again later.

Seriously?

Sorry but bull on that statement lol... Not only did the Mustang epitomize rattle there wasn't a 72 Mustang II...

And if you've worn the seat out on a 2012 with the newer seats you're doing it wrong or weigh a metric sh$t ton...

Last edited by hawkgfr; 04-14-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

All minor stuff.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:43 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

airbag light
targa top rattle
brake pedal squeak

Seriously?
2012 gs

9000 miles.
no squeaks
no rattles
no interior problems
just a lot of fun.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:47 PM
Bradysdad
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by lordofwar
2012 gs

9000 miles.
no squeaks
no rattles
no interior problems
just a lot of fun.
Agreed. 2011 GS with 7500 miles. The only issue I have is the gas pedal seems to like living near the floor.... Took a while to get used to :-)
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Nothing like any of that on my 012 coupe. My only problem is the light white haze that I have to wipe off the upholstery once every 4 or 5 months from the outgassing. I have had it for a year and a half now.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:36 PM
whit1
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If that bolster is already worn, it is driver errors rubbing on it or wearing something that's ruining it.. A word of advice if you get it replaced, buy a under armour type shirt, cut the sleeves off and pull over the back of seat..well la rubbing problem solved. U can even use a woman's skirt, it'll slip right over and protect those bolsters
Old 04-14-2014, 09:47 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

airbag light
targa top rattle
brake pedal squeak

Seriously?
My 2005 with 35,000 miles has been relatively problem free. No rattles or squeaks. The leather still looks good. I do have the occasional check air bag light which I re-zip tie and is good for a few more months.

The dealer does not have a permanent fix for the air bag light so what ever they do it will probably be temporary. The Buick being recalled has the exact same problem as the C6 and they are removing the connector under the drivers seat and soldering the wires. The C6 does not warrant a recall.
Make sure to file a complaint about air bag light with the NHTSA. It's the only way we will get a recall.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

Last edited by VET4LES; 04-16-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

dealer is trying to register for BAMA care so find another dealer they could be down for weeks,

CANUCK healthcare, we pay too, 30 % of federal taxes go to healthcare so that was 15g last year, it is not free,

Jeffer2013
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Did he say a woman's skirt?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by EVRose
All minor stuff.
I agree, but it really doesn't matter if it is minor or not. The fact is that it should not happen.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'12 GS with 7,000 miles.

top makes more noise than popcorn popping; I'm not going to chase the fix on this, seems pointless.

usual clicks on pressing brake pedal and other places.

have had a few minor issues and one or two major that dealer addressed under warranty.

had to have an alignment, tires wearing unevenly.

lease ends in a year, and I may turn it in and say goodbye.

quality control didn't exist on these cars. no wonder they're so cheap compared with Ferraris.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:50 AM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
Sorry but bull on that statement lol... Not only did the Mustang epitomize rattle there wasn't a 72 Mustang II...

And if you've worn the seat out on a 2012 with the newer seats you're doing it wrong or weigh a metric sh$t ton...
Easy on the fat jokes... . I weigh quite a bit and have 10K miles on my 2013 and I have zero wear on my drivers seat bolster. I sit on the seat and spin my legs around to get in rather than sliding along the bolster.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:16 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by timd38
I agree, but it really doesn't matter if it is minor or not. The fact is that it should not happen.
Some people are just more sensitive to minor irritations in life and/or are more abusive to the equipment.

116,000 on my '08
no rattles
no squeaks
no wear on the seats
two drops of oil cured the targa top issue
the airbag light only comes on when I swap to the lightweight seat on the more serious race days.
still have the factory alignment and even wearing tires
Old 04-15-2014, 10:17 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Sound like a 2005. Other than the air-bag light showing, those other things seem subjective by the driver. Some of that stuff may sound normal to us. As for the leather, welcome to Corvette ownership. I cover my seats and they still wear, Corvette leather is complete garbage. I wish they came in cloth.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by blitzebill
'12 GS with 7,000 miles.

top makes more noise than popcorn popping; I'm not going to chase the fix on this, seems pointless.

usual clicks on pressing brake pedal and other places.

have had a few minor issues and one or two major that dealer addressed under warranty.

had to have an alignment, tires wearing unevenly.

lease ends in a year, and I may turn it in and say goodbye.

quality control didn't exist on these cars. no wonder they're so cheap compared with Ferraris.
The top is an easy fix.. there's tons of fixes if you do a search, or check out the c6 FAQ section.

The clicking is caused by a relay...apparently, you don't play your music loud enough if you hear it.

Get a Pfadt Performance Street Alignment, and that will fix your problems.

Front camber (-0.8)
Front Caster (8.0)
Total Toe (-1/16") or (-0.17")

Rear Camber (0.4)
Total Toe (-1/16") or (-0.17")

Good Luck with your Ferrari
Old 04-15-2014, 10:39 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Sound like a 2005. Other than the air-bag light showing, those other things seem subjective by the driver. Some of that stuff may sound normal to us. As for the leather, welcome to Corvette ownership. I cover my seats and they still wear, Corvette leather is complete garbage. I wish they came in cloth.
The wear on seats is directly related to the size and method of ingress/egress of the driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Dream of a liftime or POS?

Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
RAGGDOLL
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 53 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Seriously?

Buy a Mustang
Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 AM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkgfr

HAHAHA got 'em

Yeah if the seats are worn already you gotta stop doing the slide in and maybe consider a diet.

I too, like you, can't stand rattles. From my experience it is American build quality. None of my german cars have ever done that... some have had over 120k on them too
Old 04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

2010 AW coupe
23500 miles
Never less than 21 mpg
BUT, the right front tire pressure monitor sensor has been a POS since I purchased the car, new. The Service Tire Pressure System comes up RF XXX even though the tire is inflated properly. After a few miles, the Service Active Handling System message appears, and then a few miles later, the Service Engine icon lights up and the car starts to run rough. While under warranty, I took the car to the dealership and asked for the sensor to be replaced, but they would not - would only "relearn" the sensor. Also said they could not find any error codes in history, or, "could not duplicate the condition."

Had the plug wires replaced (no longer under warranty) last year and the problem still persists. Have an appointment to have the sensor replaced tomorrow to see if that solves the problem. It's always the RF that causes the problem.

This latest time, as the tire temperatures increased steadily, the RF front stayed at 29 PSI according to the DIC; finally, the scenario described above played out again. Very frustrating on an otherwise enjoyable, trouble free vehicle.

Chevy Customer Service reps have assisted me in obtaining partial refunds on repairs made 1 month out of warranty because the problem was noted multiple times while under warranty, but, I believe everyone's wasted time and money would have been alleviated if the sensor was replaced initially under warranty. Hope my theory is correct - will know shortly.

Quick Reply: Dream of a liftime or POS?