C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any downside to painting the wheel barrels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:16 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Is there any downside to painting the wheel barrels?

So I painted (G2) the calipers and detailed the wheels & wheel wells on my yellow vert last week. I taped one of the wheel barrels with black tape to see what it would look like on my car. The black barrels made the chrome wheels pop much more than the stock grey.

Due to my tiredness and soreness, I didn't paint them at that time. but I'm thinking about doing so. But I wondered if there is any negative aspects to painting them? Does the paint adhere well? Are they more problem in keeping clean? Do they look worse when dirty? I know that many have painted their barrels. What negative experience, if any, have you had? Would you recommend painting them?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever thought of stripping them? I did. It's so much easier to keep them clean now. They look nice too.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 PM
theblue
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would plastidip them so you can remove later. Tape it off well and then go right over the weights and everything.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:57 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-Vette
Ever thought of stripping them? I did. It's so much easier to keep them clean now. They look nice too.
Yes, I thought of stripping them but I thought they would be harder to maintain.

Originally Posted by theblue
I would plastidip them so you can remove later. Tape it off well and then go right over the weights and everything.
Thanks. I didn't think about using plastidip. Would that hold up to cleaning though?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
theblue
Racer

people use it on exhaust tips and wheels all the time.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:12 PM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J Vette
Yes, I thought of stripping them but I thought they would be harder to maintain.
Just the opposite. I stripped mine a month ago, Zaino'ed them and it's been great since. After polishing them, all I do now is to take a microfiber towel over a paint stir stick and wipe them out, and they look great again.

Twice a year previously, I would have to take acetone on a rag to really scrub them out to make them look new again, and that meant taking them off the car to do it.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:34 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also used the G2 on my calipers last year I striped my rear wheels put a good coat of wax on they are very easy to maintain this year when I did my calipers I striped the fronts and again put agood coat of wax on they clean real easy because You now have a smooth surface as opposed to the rough gray paint Jack
Old 04-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,837 Likes on 1,970 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I painted mine black with the Dupli-Color brake caliper paint. I rolled it on and use a brush....looks great with the chrome wheels and that's the look I was after.....Won't know how they hold up until after the season......should be easier to clean and touch up if needed....

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Other than the fact that they are already painted, there isn't any downside to it.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KC-Vette
How hard was the striping process?
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 PM
KC-Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Tom
How hard was the striping process?
Not all that tough. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation wherever you are using the stripper and acetone though. I purchased Kleen Strip brand Aircraft Paint Remover in a metal quart can from O'Reilly's and their rubber gloves. Kleen Strip brand Acetone from HD. One can each will do all four wheels. Less than $20 for both cans.

It took a second coat to really get them completely stripped and I spent about an hour on each wheel to strip it, and do the acetone wash as described in the DYI thread that I had followed.

I found the thread and re-posted it for you and other members thinking about doing it, and a BIG thanks to the member who created the thread...
Old 04-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

I paint mine black about two months ago and very happy with the results. The only down side is the black shows dust.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Mark H; 04-16-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:41 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I painted mine satin black months ago,what a difference.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

Thanks for reposting that thread KC Vette. That's a must do for anyone who polishes their own wheels..
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
MildBill
Advanced

My only issue is...it's too awesome!
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 PM
zrone90
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Painted mine black two years ago with engine paint. They still look great and I find them easy to clean
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is something I'm wanting to do - my barrels look horrible...and the gray paint is bubbled up in some spots. I'm wondering about the wheel balance. Would it be best to just pull the weights, strip, paint and then take them to the tire shop for a re-balance? Or something else entirely?

Get notified of new replies

To Is there any downside to painting the wheel barrels?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Big Tom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
This is something I'm wanting to do - my barrels look horrible...and the gray paint is bubbled up in some spots. I'm wondering about the wheel balance. Would it be best to just pull the weights, strip, paint and then take them to the tire shop for a re-balance? Or something else entirely?

I was thinking that I would wait until I needed tires and pull the weights off then, to strip under them. If the stripper weakened the paint you might lose a weight at speed.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:08 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

The factory paint looks like crap after you have to re balance the wheels so you need to paint them anyway.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I plastdip my barrels black and it has held up all winter. I plan on peeling and "dipping" them in a few weekends. I highly recommend it and if you don't like them you can just peel it off

Quick Reply: Is there any downside to painting the wheel barrels?