C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Mohave Milers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 05:28 PM
wam3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Mohave Milers out there?

Just returned from running the Mile this past weekend and I'm happy to say that I went. As the owner of a stock 2010 GS A6, I've always wondered what the car was capable of but I wanted to do it at an organized venue where I wouldn't risk hurting anyone else or losing my license. Made 5 passes on Saturday. My first was a qualification run of 136.9 mph. All rookies must make this run and the maximum allowable speed is set at 150 mph. Once the rookie run was completed, I was cleared to go up to 175 mph. My next 4 runs were 156.2, 156.3, 159.2 and a final run of 162 mph. At that point I figured I wasn't leaving much on the table and called it a day. I think the positive progression in my speeds was just getting accustomed to the correct driving technique. Big thanks to forum member Jeffeyvette for his advice on running the Mile. For all of you bench racers living in the southwest, I recommend giving it a go and answering that nagging question lingering in the back of your mind. As a bonus, this was my first long drive in my car (which I bought in Oct.) and I averaged 28 mpg on the 900 mile trip.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Good to hear you had fun. I've thought about running there, but find it to be a little pricey compared to my frequent trips to the dragstrip. I'd be interested to hear about the technique for acquiring the higher MPH numbers.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Here are Jeffy's results as he posted on CorvetteSyndicate.Com
Jeffy is a 200+mph guy with his tt
So yesterday I ran the Mojave Mile. I made 5 runs all between 170.2mph and 172.4mph. The car made 7 additional runs other staff members of the promoters all between 168.5mph and 171.3mph. The car ran flauwlessly and got asked a number of times what I had done to the car. Which is cold airbox, bigger throttlebody, and a great JR tune. I was hoping for mid to high160's so I am very happy
Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 AM
wam3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Good to hear you had fun. I've thought about running there, but find it to be a little pricey compared to my frequent trips to the dragstrip. I'd be interested to hear about the technique for acquiring the higher MPH numbers.
The "technique" is pretty simple: place the transmission in sport mode, dial the DTC to the competitive driving mode and, when you get the go signal, put your right foot thru the floor and keep it there. This was all new to me since this car is my daily driver and I never drive like that on the street. I had toyed with the idea of using the paddles but I was pretty sure that I would have been shifting too early or too late. I just decided to put it in the hands of the computer. FYI there were several guys there from AZ. Check it out sometime.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Good for you wam3 !

Sounds like a blast
Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 AM
Blazin383
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wam3
Just returned from running the Mile this past weekend and I'm happy to say that I went. As the owner of a stock 2010 GS A6, I've always wondered what the car was capable of but I wanted to do it at an organized venue where I wouldn't risk hurting anyone else or losing my license. Made 5 passes on Saturday. My first was a qualification run of 136.9 mph. All rookies must make this run and the maximum allowable speed is set at 150 mph. Once the rookie run was completed, I was cleared to go up to 175 mph. My next 4 runs were 156.2, 156.3, 159.2 and a final run of 162 mph. At that point I figured I wasn't leaving much on the table and called it a day. I think the positive progression in my speeds was just getting accustomed to the correct driving technique. Big thanks to forum member Jeffeyvette for his advice on running the Mile. For all of you bench racers living in the southwest, I recommend giving it a go and answering that nagging question lingering in the back of your mind. As a bonus, this was my first long drive in my car (which I bought in Oct.) and I averaged 28 mpg on the 900 mile trip.
Sounds like a blast! I've run motorcycles at Bonneville and there's nothing like the thrill of wide open runs!
Were there any manual 6speed GSs there? Curious how the manual would do compared to the auto trans!

Last edited by Blazin383; 04-16-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM
MPA
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

That sounds like a lot of fun. Is there any special equipemtn you need for these events, like 5 point harnesses and helmets?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
wam3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blazin383
Sounds like a blast! I've run motorcycles at Bonneville and there's nothing like the thrill of wide open runs!
Were there any manual 6speed GSs there? Curious how the manual would do compared to the auto trans!
To be honest with you, those Hayabusa riders impressed the heck out of me. I was standing in the port-o-let line and I hear someone come up behind me. I turned around and there was a guy in leathers and he was hyperventilating. In between gulps of air, he said " I ...just...went... 202 mph... on my motorcycle!" Jeez, no wonder the guy had to go to the bathroom. A lot of 200mph+ motorcycle runs with no margin for error. A very ballsy group. Regarding transmissions, I'm sure some were running with manuals but I couldn't tell you what the difference in speed would be. But the A6 is a great piece of equipment.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
wam3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MPA
That sounds like a lot of fun. Is there any special equipemtn you need for these events, like 5 point harnesses and helmets?
If your vehicle is stock or close to it, the equipment requirements are pretty minimal. Just don't show up in shorts, flip-flops and a wife-beater and expect to run. Drivers need leather shoes, long pants (cotton), long sleeves (cotton), leather or fire gloves and a Snell 2010 helmet. I wore jeans, leather shoes, long-sleeved t-shirt and my helmet. I bought some fire gloves because I didn't have any leather ones. They check out the vehicles pretty closely, especially the tires (age, speed rating, matching tires side to side to side, metal valve stem caps, etc.) Your standard factory seatbelt is fine for the 175mph bracket, providing it will lock and it's not worn. As you move up into the faster classes, the requirements are more stringent. You can check out all of the regs at the MM website.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM
MPA
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the info - I'll have to make a trip down one year.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Blazin383
Instructor

To be honest with you, those Hayabusa riders impressed the heck out of me. I was standing in the port-o-let line and I hear someone come up behind me. I turned around and there was a guy in leathers and he was hyperventilating. In between gulps of air, he said " I ...just...went... 202 mph... on my motorcycle!" Jeez, no wonder the guy had to go to the bathroom. A lot of 200mph+ motorcycle runs with no margin for error. A very ballsy group. Regarding transmissions, I'm sure some were running with manuals but I couldn't tell you what the difference in speed would be. But the A6 is a great piece of equipment.
Now imagine running that fast on a motorcycle for 5 miles straight on a crusty salt surface that is closer to a beach than it is to asphalt!! That's what it's like at Bonneville!! It will get your heart rate up! Especially when you get a little side gust of wind!!

However, at Bonneville you get a couple miles to accelerate up to speed!
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Very cool. Just moved down to the Vegas area so one of these years I'll definitely have to try it out. Sounds like a load of fun. In fact there seem to be a lot of cool open road events in the Southwest.

Originally Posted by Blazin383
Now imagine running that fast on a motorcycle for 5 miles straight on a crusty salt surface that is closer to a beach than it is to asphalt!! That's what it's like at Bonneville!! It will get your heart rate up! Especially when you get a little side gust of wind!!

However, at Bonneville you get a couple miles to accelerate up to speed!
Good gravy. I think I crapped my pants just reading that. Motorcycles + salt + 200 mph = Not for me.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Blazin383
Instructor

Originally Posted by JD Shredds
Very cool. Just moved down to the Vegas area so one of these years I'll definitely have to try it out. Sounds like a load of fun. In fact there seem to be a lot of cool open road events in the Southwest.

Good gravy. I think I crapped my pants just reading that. Motorcycles + salt + 200 mph = Not for me.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:58 PM
EPIC C5Z
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I love going out to the Mojave Mile. Saturday was my 4th time out, the first in my 03z. I wish I could've stayed and make some runs on Sunday. I wasn't sure what my stock z would do, but I was pleasantly surprised that I hit 167.1 (twice, lol!)

Get notified of new replies

To Any Mohave Milers out there?

Quick Reply: Any Mohave Milers out there?