C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with eagle eye tail light install

Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Default help with eagle eye tail light install

I just received my eagle eye led tail lights today and went to install them and found that the plug on the new lights looks different than the stock plug. Can anyone help with this? They won't fit together and I'm feeling really dumb for having to ask. Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM
DaveA
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05LemansBLue
I just received my eagle eye led tail lights today and went to install them and found that the plug on the new lights looks different than the stock plug. Can anyone help with this? They won't fit together and I'm feeling really dumb for having to ask. Thanks
The eagle eye plug actually plugs into the bulb holder of the old lights. It took me a while to realise that, and I was trying to plug the eagle eyes into the harness. just remove the bulb from the old light, and plug the eagle eyes in.
The following users liked this post:
dpscott1996@yahoo.com (11-08-2016)
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 PM
MGretz70
Racer

Originally Posted by DaveA
The eagle eye plug actually plugs into the bulb holder of the old lights. It took me a while to realise that, and I was trying to plug the eagle eyes into the harness. just remove the bulb from the old light, and plug the eagle eyes in.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:07 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveA
Yep. Mine actually came with instructions, but I had researched it just in case.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Make sure you line the "BLACK" wire of the Tail lights to the BLACK wire on the plug... otherwise they will NOT work.

They are easy to install... just got to line up the black wire on the plugs...

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

yea I have them to its crazy how they just expect u to figure out how to make them work
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

??? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ion-sheet.html
Old 04-14-2014, 06:48 PM
jerry07dx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dont feel bad, I just put mine on 2 days ago and had that same confused look. How is this little plug going to fit in this big connector.... Then i had the let and rights all mixed up and i was convinced I had 4 lefts LOL. I felt like and idiot after i figured it out. 10 min job took and hour.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I wrote this thread a long time ago.

Lots of photos and instruction. (check page 8 for connection photos)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-way-pics.html

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 04-14-2014 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:41 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks to all who replied. The lights came with no instructions in the box and boy didi I feel dumb! I did get them installed and they look great!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 PM
c1j1c2
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I love the look of them on my car also. I think they look sharp.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RHFD122
I installed Eagle Eye on my 2006 Vette. Easy install. They look GREAT.

Installation instructions were not included with my order.

I suggest you consider the following when you begin the installation project, Note remove and install one lens at a time to ensure you don’t switch the Left and Right electrical harness sockets:

* Remove the single screw (#15 torx screw driver) from original light that secures them to your Vette

* The light fixture pulls toward you easily.

* Remove electrical connector socket from lens fixture as if you are going to replace the standard bulb. The socket may be removed without force.

* Pull standard bulb out of socket.

* Use rubbing alcohol to clean the area that you will affix the square ballastier electrical part to ensure it will secure well, strong double stick tape provided.

* The drivers side and passenger side lens each has a “L” and “R” marked on the new Eagle Eye lens.
L R ---------- L R

* Plug the new Eagle Eye connector to the original socket that the standard bulb was removed from.

* Put lens into correct location

* Secure screw to secure the lens

I believe this will help.

This is a great modification.
Anyone have any heat problems from the new resistor unit?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM
idaband
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Eagle Eye on my 2006 Vette. Easy install. They look GREAT.

Installation instructions were not included with my order.

I suggest you consider the following when you begin the installation project, Note remove and install one lens at a time to ensure you don’t switch the Left and Right electrical harness sockets:

* Remove the single screw (#15 torx screw driver) from original light that secures them to your Vette

* The light fixture pulls toward you easily.

* Remove electrical connector socket from lens fixture as if you are going to replace the standard bulb. The socket may be removed without force.

* Pull standard bulb out of socket.

* Use rubbing alcohol to clean the area that you will affix the square ballastier electrical part to ensure it will secure well, strong double stick tape provided.

* The drivers side and passenger side lens each has a “L” and “R” marked on the new Eagle Eye lens.
L R ---------- L R

* Plug the new Eagle Eye connector to the original socket that the standard bulb was removed from.

* Put lens into correct location

* Secure screw to secure the lens

I believe this will help.

This is a great modification.

I didn't plug my lights in in that order... didn't notice a difference.

I did LL RR. Cause that's how stock ones were marked that I removed.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by idaband
I didn't plug my lights in in that order... didn't notice a difference.

I did LL RR. Cause that's how stock ones were marked that I removed.

That is the correct way to do them.

Not LR-------LR

Each pair is side specific. L's for the left side R's for the right side.

If you get them on the wrong side the angle of the lights is slightly off.

Some from the manufacturer are actually marked 1's and 2's (per pair which can be confusing)

If had 3 sets from different vendors.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

That is the correct way to do them.

Not LR-------LR

Each pair is side specific. L's for the left side R's for the right side.

If you get them on the wrong side the angle of the lights is slightly off.

Some from the manufacturer are actually marked 1's and 2's (per pair which can be confusing)

If had 3 sets from different vendors.
Whoops!! Got the EagleEyes today, and I did it left/right on one side and left/right on the other side. In function testing I noticed the outboards seemed slightly brighter than the inboards. But both outboards seemed equal, and both inboards seemed equal. Curious. I'll double check when I get a chance. At least the resistors are plug in, so if I need to, I can move the lights.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Originally Posted by mbsigman
Whoops!! Got the EagleEyes today, and I did it left/right on one side and left/right on the other side. In function testing I noticed the outboards seemed slightly brighter than the inboards. But both outboards seemed equal, and both inboards seemed equal. Curious. I'll double check when I get a chance. At least the resistors are plug in, so if I need to, I can move the lights.
Now that I think about it, the box was divided by a solid horizontal piece of cardboard. Two taillights were above the cardboard, and two were below. Each pair had an "L" and an "R" stamped on the unit. Thinking they were pairs, I put the "L" on the left side of the specific pair and the "R" on the right side of each specific pair. Since the units were, well, paired, I figured that the "L" was to be mounted on the left side of the specific pair, and the "R" was to be mounted on the right side of the specific pair.

Like I mentioned in my previous posts, the outboard lights seem to be paired and slightly brighter than the inboard lights, which also seem to be paired. I'll re-check but from what I've seen so far, this may have been the way they wanted them mounted. Again, I'm using the EagleEyes product.

Last edited by mbsigman; 04-17-2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: syntax
Old 04-17-2014, 06:04 AM
DaveA
Advanced

Originally Posted by mbsigman
Now that I think about it, the box was divided by a solid horizontal piece of cardboard. Two taillights were above the cardboard, and two were below. Each pair had an "L" and an "R" stamped on the unit. Thinking they were pairs, I put the "L" on the left side of the specific pair and the "R" on the right side of each specific pair. Since the units were, well, paired, I figured that the "L" was to be mounted on the left side of the specific pair, and the "R" was to be mounted on the right side of the specific pair.

Like I mentioned in my previous posts, the outboard lights seem to be paired and slightly brighter than the inboard lights, which also seem to be paired. I'll re-check but from what I've seen so far, this may have been the way they wanted them mounted. Again, I'm using the EagleEyes product.
Mine are mounted LL.......RR and function fine, and are all the same regarding brightness. I seem to remember reading that this was the correct way to mount them, here on the forum

Get notified of new replies

To help with eagle eye tail light install

Old 04-17-2014, 09:05 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

If you do the LR.........LR pair mounting, this will make the lights seem to have different brightness levels from directly centered behind the car, because the angles of 2 of the lenses (one on each side) are going to be slightly off.

They are made to be installed in pairs, RR on right side, LL on left side.

This is because of the slight curvature of the back end of the Corvette and the slight angle of the tail lights to get them to be at a 90 degree angle to the car behind you.

You can also test this when it is dark by shining a flash light at the back of your car with the lights off. If all of the center reflectors look bright (like they are lit up) then the lights are installed correctly.

Also all of the 'halo' style LED tail lights are made by Eagle Eyes.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
RHFD122
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ttt

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you do the LR.........LR pair mounting, this will make the lights seem to have different brightness levels from directly centered behind the car, because the angles of 2 of the lenses (one on each side) are going to be slightly off.

They are made to be installed in pairs, RR on right side, LL on left side.

This is because of the slight curvature of the back end of the Corvette and the slight angle of the tail lights to get them to be at a 90 degree angle to the car behind you.

You can also test this when it is dark by shining a flash light at the back of your car with the lights off. If all of the center reflectors look bright (like they are lit up) then the lights are installed correctly.

Also all of the 'halo' style LED tail lights are made by Eagle Eyes.
When I received mine, installation instructions were missing. I installed as L R ….. L R. With this installation, I agree that the outer lens are a bit brighter than the inside set.

Based upon other posts in this thread, today I switched the order as I am unhappy with the uneven illumination. You are correct. L L ….R R and the illumination is equal.

Personal observation, in reading all of the comments here, in my opinion, all that installed as
L R ….. L R experience the outer set to be brighter than the inner set of tail lights. All that have installed as L L …. R R , all have experienced all four lights to have equal illumination.

Thanks for the good info.

Last edited by RHFD122; 04-18-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:31 AM
mbsigman
Pro

ttt

When I received mine, installation instructions were missing. I installed as L R ….. L R. With this installation, I agree that the outer lens are a bit brighter than the inside set.

Based upon other posts in this thread, today I switched the order as I am unhappy with the uneven illumination. You are correct. L L ….R R and the illumination is equal.

Personal observation, in reading all of the comments here, in my opinion, all that installed as
L R ….. L R experience the outer set to be brighter than the inner set of tail lights. All that have installed as L L …. R R , all have experienced all four lights to have equal illumination.

Thanks for the good info.
[QUOTE=RHFD122;1586685108]ttt

And this, kind sirs, is exactly what I experienced. LR LR gives outer lights brighter than the inner lights. LL RR gives all four lights being equal intensity. Although Mr NCVettes' explanation is as logical as any I've seen, for the life of me neither my wife nor I could logically pin that as a reason, but by Golly this works. So if you want outboards brighter than inboards, go LR LR. If you want all four lights to have equal intensity, follow Mr NCVette and Mr RHFD's advice and go LL RR. My sincere thanks for all the advice, and got to say - these suckers are
B-R-I-G-H-T!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with eagle eye tail light install