C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:47 PM
bjohnson33
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement tires

I own a 08 C6, and I need to buy new tires. Currently, i have run flat tires on the car but would like to go with a true performance tire. What is typically done with regards to a having a spare tire?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:19 PM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

many carry repair kit and mini compressor.....I still have GY RFs....
Old 04-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm going with non RF Hankook evo2's on my GS,tires should be in next week,$1163 all in with tax and hunter balanced. add $79 for Hunter alignment. We don't have discount tire around here, I'm going to a local place that specializes in large/custom wheels. I'll keep a compressor in the rear cubby. I have been studying this tire decision for over a year.
I was going to go with the Bridgestone RF, but with cost being the main factor,(one reason I never considered the Michelin) with a savings of around $600 the Hankook looks strong,these are a brand new tire and the rear GS sizes have just been
released,you also get a $80 mail in rebate until the ends of May with the EVO2.

My criteria:
performance
ride quality
great tread wear(320)
value

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnson33
I own a 08 C6, and I need to buy new tires. Currently, i have run flat tires on the car but would like to go with a true performance tire. What is typically done with regards to a having a spare tire?
Yours are $850 at tire rack...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model
Old 04-18-2014, 08:50 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've had both run flat and non run flat tire on my car. They both have advantages. I needed tires recently and had decided to go back to run flats just for the security. When I went to get them, the one I had decided on was on back order with no expected delivery date.
I ended up going with the same tire (basically) in a non run flat after I investigated a little more. It turns out that Michelin offers a free "change your inflated spare" for free...but here's the kicker...if there is no spare, they will tow you free (up to 150 miles) to a Michelin dealer. Just call them 24/7/365. You get the handling, quietness, and a little smoother ride, but still with some sense of security.

Just my $.02...
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the OE GY's replaced those with Michelin AS Plus, replaced those with Hankook Evo.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I also just purchased the Hankook Evo2s, have not had them put on yet but the price was the same, $1160 out the door.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:56 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by biker1059
I also just purchased the Hankook Evo2s, have not had them put on yet but the price was the same, $1160 out the door.
Paid the same (almost, + $10.00) for the Michelins.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:39 AM
Slowgoat04
Advanced

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I'm going with non RF Hankook evo2's on my GS,tires should be in next week,$1163 all in with tax and hunter balanced. add $79 for Hunter alignment. We don't have discount tire around here, I'm going to a local place that specializes in large/custom wheels. I'll keep a compressor in the rear cubby. I have been studying this tire decision for over a year.
I was going to go with the Bridgestone RF, but with cost being the main factor,(one reason I never considered the Michelin) with a savings of around $600 the Hankook looks strong,these are a brand new tire and the rear GS sizes have just been
released,you also get a $80 mail in rebate until the ends of May with the EVO2.

My criteria:
performance
ride quality
great tread wear(320)
value

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....oModClar=Coupe
I bought my Vette with 29K miles and when I bought it they replaced the rear tires with Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's.

These tires are terrible, my car makes 415 WHP and it feels like the car is on ice. Getting on it in Second is a bad idea, due to the lack of grip these tires provide.

Gonna be replacing my rims with 17's in the rear and will get a much better tire this time around.

Last edited by Slowgoat04; 04-19-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:45 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm on my third set of tires on my GS. Did runflats (OEM GYs, and then PS2's), and now on non-runflats (PSS's). Now, to be clear, I've had 4 screws in my tires in 55K miles....I don't know why or how, but I'm always getting screwed. With the RFs, I didn't worry about it, but when I made the switch, I bought a compressor (Viair) and a tire repair kit ($6). My 4th screw in the tire was on the PSS's (non-runflat). The DIC notified me right away about the fall off in pressure. I pulled over, pumped up to 35PSI, and then just watched it slowly go down till I could get it to the shop for repair (picked up the screw on the way into work, stopped by the tire shop at lunch). Really wasn't too hard to manage the "situation" safely and easily till I could get it addressed....I might have even tried to fix it myself, but I couldn't find the screw.

I went with the PSS's because it seemed to be my only high performance option in a street tire for the GS. I needed to improve the car for autocross, but didn't want to go with race tires. The OEM GYs and the PS2's aren't even in the same league grip wise. The PSS's gave me a measurable improvement in autocross performance.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by *Trip*
many carry repair kit and mini compressor.....
^This^
Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Put Stoney Wide-Oval NRF on mine. Tires seems to be fine. As with any non-run-flat, since they don't have quite as stiff a sidewall they won't hold up quite as well in a hard turn. I don't mean that they will fold under at all, but you can just tell that there is a little more sidewall flex during hard cornering. Not a concern at all unless of course you plan on racing it on a daily basis. My spare ??....compressor and plug kit. Seems like most tire manfs. won't honor a warranty if you put the goop in them.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:50 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I have a good compressor, OnStar, a cell phone, AAA, my insurance has towing, and a can of Slime. And from what I just read, Michelin has a free towing service too.

I don't have a tire repair kit. If I can't just pump it up and keep going for a while, I'll call for a tow. Figure I'd never find the puncture, and wouldn't be able to get to it to fix it anyway since it sits so low, and the car would be practically on the ground with a flat.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:46 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Carried a can of this before I had runflats, but never had to use it:

I have runflats now... Firestone Firehawk RFTs, they are great at a great price. Only problem is nobody carries them locally and my last flat couldn't be repaired so I had to get a rental car for over a week.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:26 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bjohnson33
My recommendation is to go with Michelin Pilot Sport All/Season Plus ZP. These tires will last much much longer than "summer" (high performance) tires, they will extend your cruising season by being able to drive when outside temp is 40 degrees or colder without losing traction (unlike summer tires), their road performance is almost as good as higher performance tires, they are more economical than ultra high perf. tires, and since they are zero pressure tires a spare shouldn't be needed. I put these on my 09 and am very happy with them. WIN WIN!

Last edited by carjo; 04-21-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:21 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by carjo
My recommendation is to go with Michelin Pilot Sport All/Season Plus ZP. These tires will last much much longer than "summer" (high performance) tires, they will extend your cruising season by being able to drive when outside temp is 40 degrees or colder without losing traction (unlike summer tires), their road performance is almost as good as higher performance tires, they are more economical than ultra high perf. tires, and since they are zero pressure tires a spare shouldn't be needed. I put these on my 09 and am very happy with them. WIN WIN!
Put these on the wife's '06 convertible two years ago. Far better handling and less road noise than the OEM GYs, not to mention the peace of mind that she won't get stuck on the side of the highway or pull off to the shoulder every few miles to pump up a tire, especially when the latest trend in the Balto./DC area is vehicles sitting disabled on the shoulder being hit all the time by stupid drivers for some reason. Disabled cars are like magnets here.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:08 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by vetdude
Put these on the wife's '06 convertible two years ago. Far better handling and less road noise than the OEM GYs, not to mention the peace of mind that she won't get stuck on the side of the highway or pull off to the shoulder every few miles to pump up a tire, especially when the latest trend in the Balto./DC area is vehicles sitting disabled on the shoulder being hit all the time by stupid drivers for some reason. Disabled cars are like magnets here.
Call me an old fashion male chauvinist pig all you want, but my wife doesn't drive our vette by herself cause she has too many typical poor female driving habits. No problem letting her drive while I'm with her so I can monitor....AKA..."watching what the heck shes doing".....LOL. So her getting stuck out with a flat by herself is not an issue. And yes, before anyone chimes in....females as a whole have some charitaristicly (sp) poor driving habits that if are not only dangerous, they are very hard on a vehicle. Waiting to the last minute to use that peddle that slows a vehicle down is just one of the many.......lOL. My wife has that BAD !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement tires

Old 04-22-2014, 12:12 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Hankook Ventus V12s or Nitto Invo's if you want "cheap" tires. I have both and they are excellent! Non-runflat of course.

If money is not a problem, Michelin Pilot Super Sports...I am buying these next when my track only tires (Nitto Invo's) wear out.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

For an 08 I would just go with Michelin Super Sports which are also run flats. I have driven mine on my GS down to 3 degrees so I don't know why someone above mentioned going below 40 in a summer tire is not good. The truth is that I still have more grip than his all season tires unless it is snow which he won't be moving fast either. The Super Sports grip like crazy but they last a LONG time. I'm not even 1/2 way at around 18k miles (still around 6 or 7/32ds). There is a reason why GM put this tire on the C7 and did not go with a cheaper option.

Also, even if you have run flats I would carry at least an air compressor. The fact is that they have short range with no air. Depending on where you live it may be at least 50 miles till you see civilization. Run flat tires don't like to be ran without air for long time. Even Firestone says the tire will need to be replaced if you go below 15 psi for their tires.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM
bdranch
4th Gear

Replaced OEM Goodyears at 16K miles with Firestone Wide Oval Run Flats. After six years and 20K miles, they became very noisy and droned at cruising speeds. Just changed over to Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Non Run Flats. Much quieter (duh, new tires) and noticeably less harsh riding. We'll see how long they stay quiet. But at least I can rotate them.

Quick Reply: Replacement tires