C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:23 PM
DocHorton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Grand Sport and Nissan GT-R, an owner's review.....

About a month ago I traded my 2010 C6 Grand Sport Auto for a 2013 Nissan GT-R. I had owned the GS for 2.5 years and really like the car, but was just looking to try something different. I thought I would write a comparison review for the heck of it and share it with the fellow Corvette community. This is in no way meant to bash either car, I just wanted to provide an honest review for anyone else who has considered trading vehicles. I hope you find it informative…..

Transmission/Suspension:
I never had anything which to compare the C6 Auto until I bought the GT-R. I actually really like the C6 paddle shifters but the transmission in the GT-R is faster shifting, and smoother. There are three different transmission shifting settings as well as three different suspension settings and three different traction control settings. I always thought driving the Corvette that it felt like an excellent handling car. After driving the GT-R, I would say it feels more like a race car when driving. It holds high speed turns better and feels more controlled. It does however ride a little rougher. What is surprising to me is the GT-R feels much lighter than the Vette even though it weighs several hundred pounds more. The thing I liked more about the C6 paddle shifter is that you can switch gears with either side paddle by pushing forward or backward. On the GT-R you can only upshift with the right paddle and downshift with the left paddle which has taken some getting used to.

Engine:
All I can say is “Wow!”, the GT-R is freaking fast! It doesn’t have the low-end punch of the Vette, especially under 3000 rpm’s, but once it gets going it screams. I don't feel like there is any turbo lag at all, as soon as you hit the go pedal the power comes on immediately. It is amazing that you can be going 60 on the highway, punch it for just a couple seconds and be going 105 mph when you look down. On my Vette I would punch it going 60 and in a couple seconds would be going 90 mph. The GT-R is deceptively fast at high speeds. I put a mid-pipe on it soon after I got it which helped with the exhaust sound but it doesn’t sound as “mean” as the Vette did. The sound is more exotic and high pitched which I like, but I don’t think it sounds any better, it’s just a different sound.

Interior:
The nav screen, controls, options, and everything for the in dash display totally blow the Vette away. It was like stepping into the future going from the Vette to the GT-R. The seats are even more snug and form fitting than the C6, they have more adjustment options but are not leather which seems strange to me. If you are a big person, then the GT-R will be a tight squeeze. I am 6’ 1” and about 185 lbs and it is snug. It does have a back seat which is worthless for an adult. However, it will fit my 5 year olds booster seat so she got to ride in “Daddy’s cool car” which she thoroughly enjoyed, haha. The fit and finish and materials I don’t feel like are any better than the Vette. The cupholder and storage are much smaller in the GT-R which is a big downside to me and there are only tiny comparments inside the doors to hold stuff. Opening and closing the doors feels more flimsy and the sound when closing the door makes it almost sound hollow. It doesn’t give that solid sounding thud like you get when you close the door on the C6.

Exterior:
I know some who say the exterior of the GT-R is butt ugly, but I love it. It is a much edgier car with the lines and is different than the Vette which is nice because I see multitple Vette’s every single day but I probably only see one GT-R every month or two. There are just not that many in my area. I really loved the way the C6 GS looks and I like the GT-R equally well. Again, it just comes down to personal preference.

Misc:
Overall, even though I loved my GS, I like the GT-R a little better. It is a nicer, faster, and more technologically advanced sports car. It is amazing the attention I get in the GT-R. I have only owned it for a month and a half and I have gotten more thumbs up, pictures taken, second looks, and overall positive response with the GT-R than I did in 2.5 years in owning the C6. I have had people take pictures of me while driving down the highway, I had someone ask to sit in it at the gas station and take a picture, and I have watched from inside a store while someone drove by or walked up and took a picture of it multiple times. It happens almost every single time I drive it. It draws WAY more attention than my C6 from people ages 16-60. Obviously the GT-R is more expensive and rare and it shows with how people respond to it.

I really loved owning the C6 and I am sure I will own another Vette in the future. In my heart I have always loved Vette’s and I still love seeing them on the road. I am sure I will visit the Corvette Forum from time to time and if you are driving around in DFW and see a young guy in a silver GT-R wave at you then it might be me!

Last edited by DocHorton; 04-24-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

It makes much more sense to have alternate side up and downshift levers.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM
guyster05LBM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I rarely notice any GT-R's on the road. Maybe they blend in too much with the other Nissan Altima's or Maximas out there? The C6 gets attention as it's distinctive from most other rides on the road.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM
chimazo
Burning Brakes

Thank for the comparo, particularly the ergonomic differences. Sounds like I'd need to swap in some c6 seats in order to fit! What you mention about being snug reminds me of when I sat in a new Evo a couple of yrs ago - forget about the back being tight, I couldn't even fit my legs in the seat bottom... I have to say I have never felt cramped in my GS, and I'm not a small guy. I still think the GT-R is a cool car and wish you luck with it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:16 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Enjoy.. Are you a member of NAGTROC yet. I took a hard look at the GTR a few years back, but 1K off MSRP was a non-starter for me and used sports cars are not my thing..Its a Beast for sure...
Old 04-24-2014, 07:19 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

nice review. not a very fair review, but nice. i'd like to hear from someone who went from a zr1 to the nissan to get a better perspective of the comparison. just sayen. granted, the interior is no doubt better in the nissan but, i'm more interested in the power between the two.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:33 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Originally Posted by guyster05LBM
I rarely notice any GT-R's on the road. Maybe they blend in too much with the other Nissan Altima's or Maximas out there? The C6 gets attention as it's distinctive from most other rides on the road.
Check the MSRP on a GT-R and that may have something to do with not seeing many on the road where you are.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:35 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by billyboy47
nice review. not a very fair review, but nice. i'd like to hear from someone who went from a zr1 to the nissan to get a better perspective of the comparison. just sayen. granted, the interior is no doubt better in the nissan but, i'm more interested in the power between the two.

Somebody has gone from a ZR1 to a GTR?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

That wouldn't be a fair comparison. GTR advantage is AWD but 600+lbs heavier, down 100hp and almost 150tq. Z06 would be a better compo.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Interesting review, and thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I looked at both the 2013 GT-R, and the 2013 Corvette Grand Sport. I drove, and compared both of them.

While I certainly enjoyed the more luxurious interior of the GT-R, as well as it's technological advancements, and it's faster 545 hp twin Turbo V6, two things turned me off.

First, I just couldn't get past the fact that I could buy two Corvettes, for the price of a GT-R.
It was difficult to justify an additional $50,000 for a nicer interior, and a few tenths of a second in straight line acceleration.

Second was the totally outrageous costs involved with maintenance, most of which must be done at the dealer.

I'm one of those folks who likes the looks of the GT-R, and I enjoy looking at it every time I see one on the street.
I live in an area where GT-R, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc., is a fairly common sight. Yet, I never feel like I made a mistake buying the 'vette.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 PM
CheckSix
Racer

As you said, personal preference on the looks. I don't like them.

A better comparison would be to the ZR-1. Both have adders and about the same purchase price.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:56 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
It makes much more sense to have alternate side up and downshift levers.
What's the logic behind that sentiment? I actually prefer to have control over up/down shifts with either hand. Sometimes I need to shift, and one hand is not conveniently located near the paddle.

Steven
Old 04-24-2014, 11:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
What's the logic behind that sentiment? I actually prefer to have control over up/down shifts with either hand. Sometimes I need to shift, and one hand is not conveniently located near the paddle.

Steven
If it's necessary to manually shift any auto....you more than likely have both hands on the wheel.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too looked at the GT-R and went with my GS back in '12. certainly two very different machines and how they each achieve their respective performances. the GT-R is glued to the road and seems firmer, it makes you feel like a better driver, but that's mainly all the technology at work making that car do what it does. Don't get me wrong, it does it well, but i was really turned away by the excessive maintenance costs as mentioned earlier, which to maintain the factory warranty, have to be done at the dealer. Great machine for what is does, but entirely too expensive to upkeep by the book.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

care to detail some of these maintenance costs? I'm just curious...
Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Nosferatu
care to detail some of these maintenance costs? I'm just curious...
The salesman told me to expect about $1,200 every 18,000 miles to change the transmission fluid, and service the transmission, which must be done, or the warranty is voided.

An oil change runs around $300.00. Complete set of brake pads and rotors, about $5,000, and so it goes.

I remember the salesman telling me, that's assuming you don't track the car.
If you track it regularly, the maintenance costs will be much higher.

He said the average bill for minor repairs, and adjustments on a GT-R is $700.00.

Certainly the sales guy has nothing to gain, and everything to lose by telling me this.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

this is a pretty good initial breakdown from GTR-life
http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/...cial-gt-r-faq/

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....

Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Racer
Somebody has gone from a ZR1 to a GTR?
not my problem you can't afford one.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:05 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by CheckSix
As you said, personal preference on the looks. I don't like them.

A better comparison would be to the ZR-1. Both have adders and about the same purchase price.
that was my thought but apparently some bozo disagrees. how can you compare a car that costs twice as much?
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

that was my thought but apparently some bozo disagrees. how can you compare a car that costs twice as much?
The only comparison between a ZR1 and a GTR is the price. When you compare vehicles it should be on a legitimate performance level. Any smart individual should know that but obviously some bozo doesn't have a clue.

Quick Reply: C6 Grand Sport and GT-R, an owner's review.....