C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 LS2 vs LS3

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 10:36 PM
DaysC5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 LS2 vs LS3

I am not new to Corvettes, my father has owned 2 and is going to buy his 3rd in the coming months, but I've never been capable of buying one until now. I am looking at base model C6's and I've noticed they range from about $18k (very low pricing obviously) to about $26-28k, but the major price difference is obviously in the year. My main question is what is the difference between a base model with a LS2 (pre-08) and a base model with an LS3 (08-13). I've looked around and all I can really find is a light horsepower difference and a higher top speed on the LS3, but I can't be for sure before I go out and make a decision. Any explanation on the changes from 07 to 08 would be very helpful!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:41 PM
SnipeUout
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Search Bro!!!

To save you a minute. Obviously the LS3. The power steering rack improved. Manual transmission shift effort changed. On Star and XM with audio jack on all models.

Other things to keep in mind:
09 - Last year of Z51
10 - Launch control standard
Over the years the 1LT, 2LT, Ect
Packages changed and more features became standard.

Buy the newest, lowest mileage car with the feature you want that you can afford.

Last edited by SnipeUout; 05-10-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Joni Lynn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most every year there are improvements or changes to the car. Both LS2 & LS3 run well and can be made to run as good as you have money to throw into. Both appear to be good and you'll see lots of threads here on them.
Use your spare time and search though the forum reading as much as you can on all of them and learn as much as possible. Your goal is to be an educated buyer. (or more educated)
My only advice would be to buy the newest Vette you can afford to get into, also be mindful of condition and of course mileage.
Good luck/Best wishes.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

Originally Posted by SnipeUout
Search Bro!!!

To save you a minute. Obviously the LS3. The power steering rack improved. Manual transmission shift effort changed. On Star and XM with audio jack on all models.

Other things to keep in mind:
09 - Last year of Z51
10 - Launch control standard
Over the years the 1LT, 2LT, Ect
Packages changed and more features became standard.

Buy the newest, lowest mileage car with the feature you want that you can afford.
you'll pay more using this logic and lose more if you need to get out of it... Buy the BEST Deal with the options/colors you want.. The LS3 cars will hold their value more with MILES on them than any LS2 C6. That's why the optioned LS3 cars go for as much as they do and the LS2 C6's with lower mileage are comparable in price to 100k mile LS3 cars.. They're not as desirable, was with most other things everyone wants the latest ENGINE technology available (ie LS3 over LS2).

What i mean is, for example. My friend bought a '10 GS with only 16k miles on it a year ago.. He's trying to sell it now with 17k miles on it and can only realistically get $38k for it.. During the same time frame another friend has an '11 with 66k miles on it he paid $40k for a year ago. He can STILL get $33k for it.. $7k loss vs $12k loss. Was it worth the lower mileage? Not in my opinion. If you're buying a car you're going to enjoy, beat up a little, actually use the car, forget mileage. lower mileage used in that fashion will just wreck the resale..
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Like any other car, improvements were made over the model run. Later model years are better than earlier years. You have to decide if the improvements are worth it to you. The changes by year are easy to find.

Nothing wrong with any of the years as the C6 was a good car from beginning to end but a '13 is obviously going to be significantly better than a '05. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:26 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

As quoted:

2008 “LS3” 6.2L V8 (LS3)
6.2L V8 (LS3) CAR ENGINE
Description of New and Update Features

· Displacement increase to 6.2L from the 6.0L LS2

· Performance enhancement from base Corvette LS2

· SAE Certified Power & Torque

· Horsepower increase from 400 to 430

· Torque increase from 400 to 424 lb.ft.

· Additional +6 Hp increase with optional active exhaust system

High flow cylinder heads
Enhanced valvetrain
Higher flow intake manifold with acoustic shell
Larger bore block with structural improvements
New pistons
Higher flow injectors
Acoustic beauty cover

Overview
For 2008, General Motors Powertrain engineers have again added a performance kick to the Corvette base engine with introduction of the new LS3 6.2L engine which replaces the LS2. The 2008 6.2L LS3 V8 with 430 Hp @ 5900 rpm and 424 lb.ft. torque @ 4600 rpm is the most powerful Corvette base engine ever and is SAE Certified for 2008 model year.

The LS3 engineering team focused on design elements to increase flow efficiency in addition to the displacement increase to meet the performance enhancement. The bore was increased to a larger 103.25 mm diameter compared to the LS2 bore of 101.6. Engine stroke remains at 92.0mm. Intake flow efficiency was optimized by straightening out and optimizing the flow path from the intake manifold into the cylinder heads. A high flow efficiency induction system is borrowed from the Z06 application. The cylinder head exhaust ports have been modified to increase flow. Also now available in the Corvette with the LS3 is a butterfly valve in the exhaust system which opens at high exhaust flow levels and by-passes the “tri-flow” S-shaped path the exhaust gases normally follow. This reduces exhaust restriction, yet allows the Corvette LS3 to hum at a more muted burble during part-throttle operation. The LS3 also meets the more stringent Bin4 emission standards and again avoids the gas guzzler tax. The small block tradition of more for less continues.

High Flow Cylinder Heads
The intake port shape size and shape have been modified to increase flow. The higher flow intake ports are similar to the L92 6.2L. Casting changes were made to increase the opening at the exhaust face to improve exhaust port flow. A new exhaust manifold opening is required to match the heads.

Enhanced valvetrain
The inlet rocker arm is offset 6 mm between the valve tip and rocker bolt/push rod to enable a more direct intake port. The intake valve diameter is increased from 50.8 to 55.0 mm. Hollow stem intake were implemented to enable the 6600 rpm capability (13% reduction in mass from LS2). The 40.4 mm diameter exhaust valves are carried over from L92. Carryover LS2 high load valve springs are also included for 6600 rpm capability. Intake lift increases from 13.25mm to 14.0mm. Exhaust lobes are carryover LS2. Camshaft timing is revised.
Higher flow intake manifold with acoustic shell
Intake ports revised to match new cylinder head. The new composite intake manifold is manufactured with a lost core process to improve runner to runner variation and to reduce flow losses. Acoustic foam is sandwiched between the outside top of the intake manifold and an additional “skull cap” acoustic shell to reduce radiated engine noise. Structural enhancements have been added to the manifold bosses.

Larger bore block with structural improvements
Casting and machining in the bulkheads was revised to improve block structure and to improve bay to bay breathing. The enhanced cylinder block is shared with the the 6.2L truck applications.

New Pistons
A new larger diameter piston design is introduced for which includes design enhancements for the higher engine output.

Higher Flow Injectors
Higher flow 5.0 g/s injectors were used from the LS7 engine.

New Acoustic / Beauty Cover
The new beauty cover has a revised appearance and new acoustic treatment
Old 05-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In evaluating different model year cars with features being more or less equal, I would always recommend you buy the newest model year you can. That being said for all practical purposes I think you'd be happy with either the LS2 or LS3 engine....both are tremendous power plants.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by SnipeUout

I think I said these exact words in another thread. Contrary to what others will say. Low miles matter. Wouldn't be an advertising point if it didn't.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

GM left a lot on the table with the LS-2 motor.

First you have the C5 Z06 LS-6 that they did not what the new LS-2 motor to put out more HP than it, then they had a diff in the 2005 that could not take the HP anyways. So not only did they de-tune the motor down to 400, but crippled is even more in TM to keep it from destroying the drive line.

Buy the time that the LS-3 rolled out in the new cars, the diff problem had been solved, as well as the new Z06 LS-7 putting out 500hp.

Granted that the LS-3 still has a bit more HP to be pulled out of it via a tune, turning a stock LS-2 to make LS-3 stock horsepower is a snap. Really, just de-crippling the LS-2 motor in TM makes a world of difference.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:36 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
GM left a lot on the table with the LS-2 motor.

First you have the C5 Z06 LS-6 that they did not what the new LS-2 motor to put out more HP than it, then they had a diff in the 2005 that could not take the HP anyways. So not only did they de-tune the motor down to 400, but crippled is even more in TM to keep it from destroying the drive line.

Buy the time that the LS-3 rolled out in the new cars, the diff problem had been solved, as well as the new Z06 LS-7 putting out 500hp.

Granted that the LS-3 still has a bit more HP to be pulled out of it via a tune, turning a stock LS-2 to make LS-3 stock horsepower is a snap. Really, just de-crippling the LS-2 motor in TM makes a world of difference.

Idk . That’s arguable. Every time someone post LS2 or LS3 there’s point counter point to the difference. LS2 run faster modded than a modded LS3. The A4 is preferred due to the lower cost of replacing/repairing and on and on……. If you race/track the car regularly, something will break down no matter what year you own. C7s are having issues from what I have read.

OP get the best deal you can with a consideration on how you plan to drive it and enjoy.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:36 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

LS2 + $2,500 in parts + ?$ labor = LS3

Headers, replacement air filter, ported intake and tune on an LS2 will equal the RWHP of a stock LS3.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:54 PM
FormulaLS1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen
LS2 + $2,500 in parts + ?$ labor = LS3

Headers, replacement air filter, ported intake and tune on an LS2 will equal the RWHP of a stock LS3.

Not counting the fact the 08+ has a TR6060 vs the T56 in older models.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:57 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

I agree that you should buy the newest one you can afford if you want the best car. However, if you want the best value, consider the LS2 also. I love my 2006 convertible, and I guarantee most people have no idea about LS2 or LS3. All they see is a gorgeous, high performance automobile. You will not be disappointed either way you go. And if you want more performance, either engine can be upgraded considerably.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Burken01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
I agree that you should buy the newest one you can afford if you want the best car. However, if you want the best value, consider the LS2 also. I love my 2006 convertible, and I guarantee most people have no idea about LS2 or LS3. All they see is a gorgeous, high performance automobile. You will not be disappointed either way you go. And if you want more performance, either engine can be upgraded considerably.
Exactly, I just picked up a 07 z51 and I love it

I priced ls3's and they were 6k-7k more on average

I just picked up a used fast 102, after some TSP headers and a vararam and I'll be making equal or more than base ls3's with money to spare!

Plus 99% of Vettes out there are stock and will always be stock.. We are the 1% on this forum that actually mod our cars!

So my modded ls2 will be just fine for a long while
Old 05-11-2014, 09:22 PM
duanepillar
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a LS2 07 and I love it. Runs great plenty of power and a dream to drive. Unless you are going to race buy what you can afford and have a blast!!! Corvette,,, there is no substitute.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 PM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

<------------ DSOM rocks!

Get the newest one you can afford and have fun. I have one of the weak bastard 05's everyone talks about, it's an LS2 and a 6 speed along with the Z51 package. It's far from anemic- in fact, it's one of the best Corvettes I've owned. Those who bash the early models never have first hand experience, they read horror stories of how you break the rear at the drag strip... Has it happened, sure- are there those making a ton of power with an 05, sure. You beat the car it's going to break- I don't, never an issue...

Find the color and option package you want and buy the car. At worst, you got 400 horsepower for Christ's sake, it'll more than spin the tires!

Oh- and Daytona Sunset Orange Metallic was an 05/06 only color, so there really is not much else you can do but find an early one!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:10 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I have 2006 with LS2 and do 1 HPDE track day per year just for fun. 400hp is more than enough power and will keep your appetite for speed fulfilled for a long time! I have a SLP Blackwing intake, 1-7/8" headers, and a tune, and make about 440hp. (375rwhp on dyno).

Just don't buy a 2005 and you'll be fine. Buy the lowest mileage/best condition car (any year, just not 2005) and spend the rest customizing the car to suit your tastes or spend the money on track time.....the only true way to enjoy the performance of this great cars!
Old 05-12-2014, 10:39 AM
byte_me
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
I have 2006 with LS2 and do 1 HPDE track day per year just for fun. 400hp is more than enough power and will keep your appetite for speed fulfilled for a long time! I have a SLP Blackwing intake, 1-7/8" headers, and a tune, and make about 440hp. (375rwhp on dyno).

Just don't buy a 2005 and you'll be fine. Buy the lowest mileage/best condition car (any year, just not 2005) and spend the rest customizing the car to suit your tastes or spend the money on track time.....the only true way to enjoy the performance of this great cars!

Lol- yep, those 2005's are garbage!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

When I bought my 07 a few yrs ago, that's all I could afford. Yes, the 08 has 30 more HP, better steering and manual tranny. But mine is an A6 convertible. I love the top down experience. I like the A6 paddle shifters. And a CAI, headers and tune will easily get that 30 more HP.

Of course we all like HP. But my lowly 400HP has been known to break the back tires loose when I pulled out to pass a car at 55mph. I floored the accelerator while riding in drive and the car kicked down to 3rd gear (I suspect) and broke the back end loose. Of course, I liked the thrill. And I like it even better with the DS Intune canned tune on it. It really firmed up the shifts and makes the car even quicker. the car is stock other trhan the Intune.
All that said, don't worry that the LS2 is inferior. Supposedly the actual Hp is around 411. So its not that far behind the LS3.. Here's some good reading on the LS2

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...-ls2-guys.html

As has been said, get the newest car with lowest mileage and options you want and can afford. Don't worry over LS2 vs LS3. get the LS3 if you can afford it. But don't worry if you can't. The LS2 is a great engine. And supposedly a better, more lateral power band.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 LS2 vs LS3

Quick Reply: C6 LS2 vs LS3