C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

magentic ride control - with vs without???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM
david052874
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magentic ride control - with vs without???

I am looking to purchase a 2012-13 Grand Sport convertible and I have a question for you guys that know a little about the ride with AND without the magnetic ride suspension. I am looking to spend the least amount on my car....it is just my weekend car and I am set on a 2012-23 because of the seats and the upgraded bose from previous years. But, my main question is what is the difference of a vette with and without the magnetic suspension. I really only want a "touring" car....I am not going to track it....i just like the looks of the C6 and I figure the price point is perfect for me with a 2lt. I could care less about the heads up display and all the other options on the 3lt/4lt. So my main question is this....."If a vette with the magnetic suspension is in tour mode or sport mode, how will a NON-magnetic suspension compare? If I would say that a vette with a magnetic suspension rates a "1" with the firm feel in SPORT mode and a "10" in the TOUR mode....where would the feel be without that option altogether? Is the non-magnetic suspension more firm or more cushy for cruising? ON a 1-10 scale ("1" being firm) what would you say? I know the magnetic suspension has more things going on than jsut the feel of the ride as I have read on other posts, but seriously this is just a drop-top for me to enjoy on the weekend cruising.and I want it more because of the looks and being able to jump on it once in a while for a thrill.

So again.....1-10 what would you rate the non-magnetic vette on terms of a touring ride (1 being firm and 10 being cushy compared to a magnetic-equiped vette).

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:07 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I would say the a C6 without the Magnetic Selective ride would be fairly soft (towards a 9-10 on your scale).

From your description of what you are looking for, I think you would probably be fine with the non F55 suspension.

I have the F55 (Mag Ride) and usually leave it in Sport Mode though. Actually on a smooth road you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:16 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

For a weekend car, no tracking, I would get the mag ride. However, they are expensive if leaking or failed over a standard shock.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 121 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

When my wife is in the car if for some reason I left it in Sport she would not feel the difference on the highway. The local roads might be different. I think "Tour" and the standard suspension are about the same.

I think you have answered your own question though spending the least amount would not include the F55 regardless. The HUD on the other hand I find is indispensable. Best of luck in your search hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM
CheckSix
Racer

Get it without. You can tweak the GS, with better sway bars and shocks and not have to worry about expensive mag ride system repairs in the future. I had a choice and went simple.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You guys are missing the point. The OP is asking about a Grand Sport with or without F55. Totally different animal from the base car F55.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:40 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicK T
You guys are missing the point. The OP is asking about a Grand Sport with or without F55. Totally different animal from the base car F55.

I started with a base car with the F55 and have converted it to a wide body (including springs, sways, and Z06 brakes). The base with F55 is very comparable to the GS with F55.

BUT, the base without the F55 would be much softer riding than the GS without F55, since it would come with Z51 shocks.

Therefore I believe that a GS with F55 would have a slightly better ride than a GS without the F55 suspension.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:51 PM
CheckSix
Racer

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE

I started with a base car with the F55 and have converted it to a wide body (including springs, sways, and Z06 brakes). The base with F55 is very comparable to the GS with F55.

BUT, the base without the F55 would be much softer riding than the GS without F55, since it would come with Z51 shocks.

Therefore I believe that a GS with F55 would have a slightly better ride than a GS without the F55 suspension.
It doesn't. I've driven both GS, with and without extensively. It is not worth it and will be an expensive maintenance item. I tweaked my GS suspension, the way I wanted it to handle and feel through some parts changes. OE is fine for DD and touring. For occasional tracking or more planted street driving, you tweak it.

To the OP again, get it without. Not worth it.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CheckSix
It doesn't. I've driven both GS, with and without extensively. It is not worth it and will be an expensive maintenance item. I tweaked my GS suspension, the way I wanted it to handle and feel through some parts changes. OE is fine for DD and touring. For occasional tracking or more planted street driving, you tweak it.

To the OP again, get it without. Not worth it.
I don't understand your reply with my quote.

I advised him to go with the GS without the F55 suspension. (see post #2)

All I said was that a base C6 with F55 is similar to a GS with F55. AND that a base C6 without the F55 would be softer than a GS without F55 (since a GS has the Z51 suspension if it doesn't have the F55).

I did say that a GS with F55 would ride slightly better the a GS without it and that is a true statement.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 05-11-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

While I agree totally with most of the responses about the mag ride being expensive to repair and complex in operation, the base GS suspension does ride on the rough side. You might be better off with a base car w/ the base suspension. Too bad most people buy the GS for looks alone, then complain about everything else.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you like the C6 styling and want a vert, is it the look of the GS that is important vs the base?
If you want low cost, why buy a 2012/2013 simply because the seatback cushion and sound system have minor upgrades. You could buy an '05 for a lot less and use the difference to swap seats and install some killer sound or even a wide body and still have money left over.

Now about F55. It's not about soft vs firm, it's about how fast the shocks react to the road conditions. In tour mode the reaction time is about twice as long as in sport.

However, be aware that the GS has the stiffer springs of the Z51 and the Z06 sways and shocks, none of which are conducive to a comfortable touring ride as the base with or without F55.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:55 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Now about F55. It's not about soft vs firm, it's about how fast the shocks react to the road conditions. In tour mode the reaction time is about twice as long as in sport.

However, be aware that the GS has the stiffer springs of the Z51 and the Z06 sways and shocks, none of which are conducive to a comfortable touring ride as the base with or without F55.

Also. you need to consider the state of your roads. If they're rough and patched like ours in Minnesota, you're not going to get smooth, cushy ride from ANY Corvette. And if your highways are mostly concrete surfaced, tire howl will be present especially from the OE Goodyear run flats.

My best suggestion is to drive any car you're interested in on as many surfaces as possible.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:06 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by david052874
"If a vette with the magnetic suspension is in tour mode or sport mode, how will a NON-magnetic suspension compare? If I would say that a vette with a magnetic suspension rates a "1" with the firm feel in SPORT mode and a "10" in the TOUR mode....where would the feel be without that option altogether? Is the non-magnetic suspension more firm or more cushy for cruising? ON a 1-10 scale ("1" being firm) what would you say?
So again.....1-10 what would you rate the non-magnetic vette on terms of a touring ride (1 being firm and 10 being cushy compared to a magnetic-equiped vette).

Thanks in advance for your responses.
To specifically answer your question, and keeping it on your model years, remember that all vettes ride "firm", and only you can answer your number scale. I'll just give you my 2 cents worth, and you have already seen above that others disagree.

The Grand Sports have stiffer suspension than the base vettes, so the base will ride "rougher" (firmer) than a magnetic suspension optioned Grand Sport. Sooo, the F55 Grand Sport in tour will ride smoother than the "non-F55" suspensioned Grand Sport.

I have a mag - suspension (F55) GS, and it's hard to put a number on the comfort level, but mine is a daily driver, and I like it for that. I had a 2008 C6 with the Z51 suspension (which is very close to the 'base' Grand Sport suspension), and I could immediately notice that the SPORT setting was about identical ride comfort, and the TOUR was slightly smoother.

But it is pretty close to the same comfort level, and if you are only going to be driving it on the weekends, you won't be able to tell the difference I bet.

On the track or twisty roads is where I can tell the difference in sway of the car, and the SPORT setting shines there. 95% of the time, I leave mine in the TOUR setting though.

When I do forget to change it back to TOUR, I do notice on the first speed bump or rough road, and it reminds me to put it back in the TOUR setting.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Here's some interesting facts regarding the purchase choices.

Combined '12 & '13 production of GS verts -- 4004
" " " " 2LT option -- 418
" " " " F55 " -- 1719

Just for reference the '08 production year by itself (most significant change year of C6)
Verts -- 7549
2LT -- 760
F55 -- 1707

Since most '12 & '13 owners are not ready to sell in relation to the '08 owners, the buyer's market is very limited. With only 10% of verts having the 2LT option the search narrows even further. If you wanted a manual trans, the search heads toward the impossible to find area, since verts are in the 85% range for A6 trans.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
david052874
4th Gear

thanks for all the responses. I think this gives me an idea of where I should stand on this decision.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I would say the a C6 without the Magnetic Selective ride would be fairly soft (towards a 9-10 on your scale).

From your description of what you are looking for, I think you would probably be fine with the non F55 suspension.

I have the F55 (Mag Ride) and usually leave it in Sport Mode though. Actually on a smooth road you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I test drove a 2008 vert with the F55 and I could not tell any difference between the modes. It was on smooth streets so, as you mentioned, maybe that was why.

My current 2008 vert has Z51 and you can definitely tell the difference between Z51 and a non-Z51 suspension.

However I have seen posts here that said they would not want another vette without F55.

Get what feels right to you. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:26 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

It is incredibly easy to feel the magnetic ride working on my Grand Sport. Anyone who says otherwise either has a defective system or did not use it on the appropriate roads.

It is an excellent system and I am always glad I have the choice between a softer and firmer ride. It is offered on many of the other high performing GM vehicles and even on cars like Ferrari's.

GM is offering more advanced versions now, not eliminating it because it doesn't work. It is silly to think there is no advantage over non-magnetic ride cars, on the track or the street. That's why its offered on the Z06 and ZR1

If you can afford it you should get it. If you can't get it you will still be fine . . . but the magnetic ride is the state of the art and a selectable suspension adds another level of enjoyment to driving my car.

Last edited by csf; 05-13-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:25 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by csf
It is incredibly easy to feel the magnetic ride working on my Grand Sport. Anyone who says otherwise either has a defective system or did not use it on the appropriate roads.

It is an excellent system and I am always glad I have the choice between a softer and firmer ride. It is offered on many of the other high performing GM vehicles and even on cars like Ferrari's.

GM is offering more advanced versions now, not eliminating it because it doesn't work. It is silly to think there is no advantage over non-magnetic ride cars, on the track or the street. That's why its offered on the Z06 and ZR1

If you can afford it you should get it. If you can't get it you will still be fine . . . but the magnetic ride is the state of the art and a selectable suspension adds another level of enjoyment to driving my car.
I didn't say it doesn't work. I simply said I couldn't tell the difference between the two settings. I was very surprised and somewhat concerned that maybe it was not working.

I've had six vettes. Some with Z51 and some without. I'd love to experience F55 and see what it is like. I simply couldn't feel any difference in the car I test drove.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:33 PM
Gars08vert
Instructor

Originally Posted by MKenM
When my wife is in the car if for some reason I left it in Sport she would not feel the difference on the highway. The local roads might be different. I think "Tour" and the standard suspension are about the same.

I think you have answered your own question though spending the least amount would not include the F55 regardless. The HUD on the other hand I find is indispensable. Best of luck in your search hope you find what you are looking for.
I bought my vette used, so the HUD came with the car. I did not really want it, but let me tell ya, as others have said, I find it very nice to have, and hardly ever use the analog speedo or tach for that matter. If you do get it, you'll love it!

The ride you have will be stiff for sure, if your car comes with run flats too.

Get notified of new replies

To magentic ride control - with vs without???

Quick Reply: magentic ride control - with vs without???