C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Grand Sport Stalling!! WTH??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 06:15 PM
GEMark
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 Grand Sport Stalling!! WTH??????

My car starting acting up a few weeks ago by having flat spots on acceleration and then picking back up. Like it momentarily lost ignition or fuel pressure. Then it started stalling while at a stop, Then it began idling rough and I had to throw it neutral at a stop to keep it from stalling, It is idling rough and surging and doesn't want to stay running at idle, NO Codes! No Check Engine Light! No Water in Fuel System! Its at the dealership now (Sandy Sansing in Pensacola FL.) and I talked to the tech working on it and he said he is going to call tech line in the A.M. Anybody else experience these symptoms??? Thanks for any input !!! Pretty frustrated over here on my end!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Kraz8s
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I know I'm not being of much help but it could be the fuel pump going.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Clean the MAF for starters.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

mass or vaccum leak in the intake.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by GEMark
My car starting acting up a few weeks ago by having flat spots on acceleration and then picking back up. Like it momentarily lost ignition or fuel pressure. Then it started stalling while at a stop, Then it began idling rough and I had to throw it neutral at a stop to keep it from stalling, It is idling rough and surging and doesn't want to stay running at idle, NO Codes! No Check Engine Light! No Water in Fuel System! Its at the dealership now (Sandy Sansing in Pensacola FL.) and I talked to the tech working on it and he said he is going to call tech line in the A.M. Anybody else experience these symptoms??? Thanks for any input !!! Pretty frustrated over here on my end!
Sorry to hear about your Grand Sport stalling, but it's great that the dealer is examining this. Please keep us updated on the process. We're here if additional assistance is needed.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 05-15-2014, 10:32 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

Do you always buy top tier gas?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 AM
GEMark
Advanced

I sent a pm to Chevy Customer Service after being told my car was fixed and ready to be picked up on Friday and it was doing the same thing and wouldn't even make it out of the parking lot of the dealership without stalling and dying!!!!VERY UPSET!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:32 AM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

I sent a pm to Chevy Customer Service after being told my car was fixed and ready to be picked up on Friday and it was doing the same thing and wouldn't even make it out of the parking lot of the dealership without stalling and dying!!!!VERY UPSET!!!!

That's horrible….! Would be my last visit to that dealership even if I had to drive 100 miles to find another one! No dealership should EVER put ANY car out there with that kind of problem and say its "fixed" when you could be in a serious accident!!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:39 PM
GEMark
Advanced

I drove it around the block before I paid the bill and it seemed ok, As soon as I paid the bill and went to leave it started doing the same things I brought it in for to begin with! Erratic Idle , stalling & dying, All I can say is if whatever is wrong with, If the powertrain warranty doesn't cover it they damn well need to goodwill the repair!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

That sucks and hopefully some folks more knowledgable than me can help, but it I'm curious - what did the dealer do, what was the bill for?
Old 05-18-2014, 04:06 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Check to be sure all the spark plug wires are tight to the plugs. Loose wires have been reported here before with similar effects.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I would be pissed if that is all they did and they charged me for it. It sounds like a fuel issue since an electrical issue should trigger a fault.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

First thing I would do is attach a fuel pressure gauge, then you will be able to watch the fuel pressure when it stalls at idle and see if you have the normal 55 psi.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I drove it around the block before I paid the bill and it seemed ok, As soon as I paid the bill and went to leave it started doing the same things I brought it in for to begin with! Erratic Idle , stalling & dying, All I can say is if whatever is wrong with, If the powertrain warranty doesn't cover it they damn well need to goodwill the repair!
I understand that you're frustrated, but if the car made it around the block before it started acting up, and assuming it was running OK for the technician, then why are you so mad about it?

What did they diagnose as the problem? What did they do to correct it?

When I worked on cars, there were occasional times when I was sure I'd tracked down the problem, only to see it come back. Trust me, no technician at a dealership (or any other place) wants to see a customer's car come back for the same problem that you thought you just fixed.

Steven

PS - Although when I worked on cars, we were called "mechanics", not technicians...
Old 05-18-2014, 05:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by v26278
That sucks and hopefully some folks more knowledgable than me can help, but it I'm curious - what did the dealer do, what was the bill for?
My question also...
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM
GEMark
Advanced

They replaced the battery which did not pass a load test, I didn't have a problem starting the Car!! and added 3 gallons of gas stating that the h20 remover I added had may have decreased the octane of the fuel making it run poorly. I added the h2o remover thinking I may have picked up some water in the fuel, The car would not display a check engine light therefore no code to give any direction on what particular component to inspect, I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and jumped the relay terminals and pumped about 10 gallons of fuel into 2 spotless 5 gallon buckets! No h20 or trash whatsoever! Then I took it to Sandy Sansing Chevrolet where I was charged $291.30 for a new battery and 3 gallons of gas and was told it was fixed and to come pick it up!!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

They replaced the battery which did not pass a load test, I didn't have a problem starting the Car!! and added 3 gallons of gas stating that the h20 remover I added had may have decreased the octane of the fuel making it run poorly. I added the h2o remover thinking I may have picked up some water in the fuel, The car would not display a check engine light therefore no code to give any direction on what particular component to inspect, I pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and jumped the relay terminals and pumped about 10 gallons of fuel into 2 spotless 5 gallon buckets! No h20 or trash whatsoever! Then I took it to Sandy Sansing Chevrolet where I was charged $291.30 for a new battery and 3 gallons of gas and was told it was fixed and to come pick it up!!
You have every right to be upset...
1. Cranking the starter is the ultimate load test of a battery. If it turns the starter fast, it passes.
2. Octane has nothing whatsoever to do with how the engine idles. It only matters when the engine is under load.
3. I would say that just because the fuel pump can fill a bucket does not mean that it will maintain pressure against the injectors when they are hooked up. This is why I suggested a fuel pressure gauge be hooked up. If the pump is not keeping up with the needs of the engine, this gauge will show that right away...while the symptoms are being exhibited...it can be left hooked up while driving in the case of an intermittent problem so that the minute the symptoms happen, you can check the gauge and either pinpoint or eliminate the pump as the problem.

Also, H2O remover is usually alcohol which, if it affects it at all, would likely raise the octane rating and not lower it...but either way, unless you added gallons of it, it would have no effect.

Last edited by cclive; 05-18-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2010 Grand Sport Stalling!! WTH??????

Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 PM
GEMark
Advanced

According to the tech he checked the fuel pressure and it was acceptable.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

thank god those guys don't work on commercial airlines.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

According to the tech he checked the fuel pressure and it was acceptable.
Since it is an intermittent problem, do you know that he found the pressure acceptable while the stalling was happening? It wasn't having the problem when you picked it up...

Quick Reply: 2010 Grand Sport Stalling!! WTH??????