C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wacky Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:13 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
Default Wacky Windshield Wipers

On my '05, I am having a weird problem with my windshield wipers on the Intermittent Setting. Every once in a while the wipers would just stop in the middle of the windshield and then after about 5 seconds or so, they will start up again. Sometimes however, they would not start up again at all until I push the lever down to the one swipe setting. I have had the car for about 3 months now, has 43K miles and it has always done this. It does seem to be getting more frequent though. For all I know, the owner before me could have had this problem too so I'm not sure how long its been this way. I feel it is a safety issue because if it is on the intermittent cycle and the wipers stop, and then it starts to rain hard, it takes a few seconds to get it active again and for those few brief moments, the visibility is very poor. I'm almost expecting that one of these days, it will stop and I won't be able to start them up again. I did do a Search for this problem on the forum and although there are several Threads about windshield wiper problems, none seem to be just like mine. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I don't know how to fix your problem, but I recommend using Aquapel or (if that's not available) RainX on the windshield. That will reduce the hazard of having the wipers stop when you don't expect it.

RainX is cheap and available everywhere.
Will cause wiper "chatter" if you put on too much, and leaves a slight smear after every swipe during light rain.

Aquapel is more expensive and must be ordered. Must be applied quickly before it dries.
But it doesn't leave the smears, and lasts longer.

Good luck getting it fixed!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:37 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I don't know how to fix your problem, but I recommend using Aquapel or (if that's not available) RainX on the windshield. That will reduce the hazard of having the wipers stop when you don't expect it.

Will cause wiper "chatter" if you put on too much, and leaves a slight smear after every swipe during light rain.

Aquapel is more expensive and must be ordered. Must be applied quickly before it dries.

Thanks Jim!
Old 05-16-2014, 03:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

First thing I would try is unplugging the wiring harness at the wiper motor unit , spray contacts with WD-40 and carefully re-plug. Can't hurt, might fix it.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 PM
dshamrick
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 147 Posts

Windshield Wipers? These cars come with wipers?

Never Noticed.

someone had to say it.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:14 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by dshamrick
Windshield Wipers? These cars come with wipers?

Never Noticed.

someone had to say it.
I guess yours are broken too!
Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

You mean you drive your Vette in the rain!
Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

May be a bad wire in the motor itself. Do they work ok in the regular wiper setting?
Old 05-19-2014, 01:50 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave S
You mean you drive your Vette in the rain!
Yes indeed! I actually "DRIVE" mine! Life's to short to keep it as a show piece! It's also my DD! There's nothing better after a crappy day at work then taking my hour long drive home in my Vette!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by 05LemansBLue
May be a bad wire in the motor itself. Do they work ok in the regular wiper setting?
Thanks for the response and question. Yes..in the regular setting they work fine. No stopping in either the fast or regular paced wipe.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:26 PM
JackLS1R1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does the same thing. I think its the switch. I think the switch can be ordered from Rockauto for like $17
Old 05-19-2014, 04:11 PM
SlothX311
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JAsVette
Yes indeed! I actually "DRIVE" mine! Life's to short to keep it as a show piece! It's also my DD! There's nothing better after a crappy day at work then taking my hour long drive home in my Vette!
Although I'm not buying my first vette as a DD I do understand where you're coming from here. Nothing better to calm you down after a day at the office and the hour commute!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Originally Posted by JackLS1R1
Mine does the same thing. I think its the switch. I think the switch can be ordered from Rockauto for like $17
Thank you so much Jack! I'm glad someone else has the same issue (not personally of course) and its not some weird thing with mine that nobody's ever heard of. Sounds like an easy fix for my next service visit!

Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM
JAsVette
Racer

I brought my '05 to a GM Service Center this morning to have the wipers looked at and as luck would have it, they worked fine for them. "Unfortunately" it is a sunny day today so I'm sure if it was raining outside, they would leave them on longer and eventually they would see that the wipers stop in the middle of the windshield on the intermittent cycle. But now I'm wondering if it only happens when the car is moving. Also, are the wipers on my '05 speed sensitive? It says so in the manual. I'm wondering if that could have anything to do with it. All they could tell me was if it happens again, bring it right in so they can take a look at it while its happening. So basically, I'm back to square 1.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

I just use any detailer on my DD. My vette never really sees the rain .

Clif

Get notified of new replies

To Wacky Windshield Wipers

Quick Reply: Wacky Windshield Wipers