C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GS Convertible Wind Noise (top up)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default 2011 GS Convertible Wind Noise (top up)

Back in 2012 there was a thread asking about convertible noise. I commented at the time about road (tire) noise. What I failed to mention was how bad the wind noise is with the top up at highway speeds. It is almost impossible to talk with my wife without using a load voice. Anyone else having an issue with top up wind noise? If so, did you solve it?

BTW, I changed to Michelin tires and still have road noise, but it is now more dependent on the type of road, so I accept that as a cost of having R/F tires.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM
61X
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2011 GS vert. No real issues with wind noise on mine. Can you pinpoint where it is coming from ?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

It seems to be coming from behind the passenger seat - kind of like over the passenger's right shoulder.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:14 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I wonder what might have changed between the base and GS and maybe the years? This is my second '08 vert and it is very quiet. In fact, I'd compare it to my coupes that I have owned.

I hope that you find a solution. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:25 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

I had a 2007 convertible and it was quieter than my 2006 coupe. I have complained 5 times and none of the dealers seem to be able to solve the problem. They all are quick to blame the tires. I have changed from the GY's to Michelins. Makes me wonder if it is wide body issue. I haven't driven anyone else's GS convertible to see if they have the same issue. I have basically put up with it because I seldom take road trips and my driving is generally less than 50mph. But I just took a 6 day trip and the noise was fatiguing.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 AM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think that excessive wind noise is normal. I have very little with my GS convert., in fact the vert. made less noise then the coupe during my test drives. Is the window sealing well? My brother had to have the top on his vert. adjusted due to a bad seal. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnAE455
I do not think that excessive wind noise is normal. I have very little with my GS convert., in fact the vert. made less noise then the coupe during my test drives. Is the window sealing well? My brother had to have the top on his vert. adjusted due to a bad seal. Good luck.
Did a Chevy dealership adjust the top or did your brother take it to someone who is in the convertible top business?
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 AM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,267 Likes on 508 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

It seems like the consensus opinion is that you should not be having more "top up" noise in your 2011 GS than you did in your 2007 convertible . . . And I agree. Wind noise around a convertible top is nearly always a sign of something being out of adjustment. I might suggest trying the old "dollar bill test" like you use in checking a refrigerator door seal. See if you can slip a dollar bill between the top and the body anywhere . . . You might even try having an assistant slip one under the rear seal as that part of the top comes down to meet the deck. Then see if you can slide it around at all. It doesn't take much of a gap to produce quite a bit of noise. Also, the suggestion to have a qualified convertible top shop take a look at it instead of the dealer is not a bad idea. No auto dealer these days sees too many convertibles, and their "expertise" is probably limited to whatever the manual says, especially if the technician is fairly young. No slam on their abilities or diligence, but for issues like this I want the old crusty guy who has worked on thousands of tops. Experience is still the best teacher. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 AM
61X
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You could try spraying the car with the garden hose around the suspected leak area. Just a thought. Might help to locate the exact area.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 61X
You could try spraying the car with the garden hose around the suspected leak area. Just a thought. Might help to locate the exact area.
Good thought except the top has no leaks and I have been in some pretty heavy Florida rain storms.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 61X
I have a 2011 GS vert. No real issues with wind noise on mine. Can you pinpoint where it is coming from ?
+1 here
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Yup, got the whistle on the passenger side of my C5. Mine is NOT from a seal/water leak but comes from the air (60 MPH and up) blowing between the overhang of the top and side window. The top has about a 3/8" lip that forms a venturi effect; if I crack the side window, it brakes up the airflow and goes away.

Try using a small strip of duck tape (to change the airflow) and cover one area at a time while road testing until you zero in one the spot.

Good luck, please post your findings for the rest of us
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Grand Sport Jim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have no issues either so it is an anomaly particular to your vehicle. In my pickup I have to close the passenger window first, then the drivers side or I get wind noise. Perhaps your weatherstripping needs to be removed and reinstalled or replaced or your window stop needs to be adjusted up a fraction so it seals properly.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM
indyjack18
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GND SPT
It seems to be coming from behind the passenger seat - kind of like over the passenger's right shoulder.

I also have a 2011 GS vert and noise is BAD! Thank God I have the top down 95% of the time. I've never had it looked at due to limited times I had to drive with the top up (rain). Had a 2009 vert and it was dead silent! I figured, much bigger tires and not sealed as tight on the passenger side. It's water tight but might open up the seal at speed.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top adjust

Did a Chevy dealership adjust the top or did your brother take it to someone who is in the convertible top business?
I think the dealership had it done at the same company that installed the new top.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:44 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought and 06 Vert back in January and had to adjust the passenger window, very easy job. Just take the door panel off and you'll have access to the window adjustments. Compare the window fit to the driver's side.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by biker1059
I bought and 06 Vert back in January and had to adjust the passenger window, very easy job. Just take the door panel off and you'll have access to the window adjustments. Compare the window fit to the driver's side.
Thanks. The car is going to the shop Friday to have them investigate if that is the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 2011 GS Convertible Wind Noise (top up)

Old 05-22-2014, 01:13 AM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2010 GS Vert is as quiet as my wife's A4 convertible (as long as I have the exhaust ports closed and the run craps have warmed up). Its not normal for it to be noisy.

One thing I notice is that when I close my trunk, the whole top blows up like a balloon up under the air pressure. You might try this to get a sense of how well its sealing.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gbmidyear66
One thing I notice is that when I close my trunk, the whole top blows up like a balloon up under the air pressure. You might try this to get a sense of how well its sealing.
I get top movement when I close the trunk, but had to say if it is the compressed air or just vibration from the trunk lid closing. It dissipates quickly and I attribute that to the flapper valve that is supposed to relieve internal air pressure caused from closing the doors.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
gbmidyear66
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I get top movement when I close the trunk, but had to say if it is the compressed air or just vibration from the trunk lid closing. It dissipates quickly and I attribute that to the flapper valve that is supposed to relieve internal air pressure caused from closing the doors.
Yeah, it deflates fairly quickly - but it does noticeably balloon on mine. I believe the door close air pressure is actually relieved by the window indexing down when the door is opened - it indexes back up when you close the door - or at least it should. If it doesn't - that's probably your issue...

Quick Reply: 2011 GS Convertible Wind Noise (top up)