C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remember my Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:29 PM
RRIXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remember my Oil Change?

Remember a few weeks ago I posted a thread about my bad experience with a GM dealer installing the incorrect oil in my C6? They actually had the audacity to send me an e-mail asking what I thought of their service so I wrote back and told them exactly what I thought. Surprisingly, they never wrote back.

Last week I received a letter from them saying that they 'wanted' my Corvette and because of that I was a VIP customer that should immediately make an appointment to come in and purchase a new vehicle. I shredded the letter but yesterday they called me and you could tell the young man was reading from a script. Now keep in mind that this is a GM Chev dealer but they don't sell Corvettes. The young man repeated what the letter said about them wanting my car and of course he could get me into a new selected model with zero % financing, no out of pocket expenses and some other wonderful deals and did I want to make an appointment to buy a new car. I told him the only new car I would buy would have to be a Corvette. Did they sell Corvettes? Long pause, listening to paper shuffling and a stuttered confession that he didn't think they did but thought I should come in anyway because of the 0% financing and special deals being offered so I again asked if they sold Corvettes and if they did would it qualify for zero % financing. He didn't know and when I asked him to find out he said he didn't know how to do that, that he worked for a third party and didn't have that kind of information available to him but would I like to make an appointment to come in a buy a new car? Seriously, the incompetence from this dealer never ceases to amaze me.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I get those letters all the time from my dealer "desperately NEEDING my 05" except they want to upgrade me to a Stingray. Never got a phone call though.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:51 PM
LSD 2005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EVRose
I get those letters all the time from my dealer "desperately NEEDING my 05" except they want to upgrade me to a Stingray. Never got a phone call though.
same here.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:17 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

It's just random cold call marketing. It's generally very ineffective but a lot of businesses do it, usually they assign rookie sales people to the task as most people would rather eat snakes than make cold calls. For every 100 calls, they get one or two who take the bait. I did a bit of that early in life as a necessary evil to get experience and a career started. I'm usually fairly gracious when I get those calls so long as the sales guy doesn't push back when I let them know I have no interest.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

If they don't sell Vettes, why did you go there?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Strictly BS to get you in the door and make a sale that is all they care about $$$$$$.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
RRIXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
If they don't sell Vettes, why did you go there?
Ummm, to get my oil changed. Didn't I mention that already? In this part of the world not all Chev dealers sell Vettes and not all dealers that sell Vettes are located near me.

Now what has your question to do with this thread?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

OK here's the $64,000 question....who was the nit wit dealer you went to?
Old 05-27-2014, 09:09 PM
RRIXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by ls1121
OK here's the $64,000 question....who was the nit wit dealer you went to?
It was a GM dealer called Myers in a little town called Kemptville, south of our nation's capital. Myers owns many dealerships in Ottawa and probably wouldn't be too thrilled to hear about this one.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RRIXX
Ummm, to get my oil changed. Didn't I mention that already? In this part of the world not all Chev dealers sell Vettes and not all dealers that sell Vettes are located near me.

Now what has your question to do with this thread?
No need to get offended - I was wondering the same thing myself.

It wasn't until you mentioned that it was a Chevy dealer that didn't sell Corvettes that I wondered where you were - and I see you're from Canada.

Now it makes more sense that you had service work performed at a dealership that doesn't sell Vettes.

I'm not surprised that there's a disconnect between the service and sales departments; the fact that they employed a third party to do the grunt work just proves it.

I don't blame you for cutting them off - I would too.

Steven
Old 05-28-2014, 05:43 AM
RRIXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldCorvetteFan
No need to get offended - I was wondering the same thing myself.

It wasn't until you mentioned that it was a Chevy dealer that didn't sell Corvettes that I wondered where you were - and I see you're from Canada.

Now it makes more sense that you had service work performed at a dealership that doesn't sell Vettes.

I'm not surprised that there's a disconnect between the service and sales departments; the fact that they employed a third party to do the grunt work just proves it.

I don't blame you for cutting them off - I would too.

Steven
I wasn't offended but I do find there are some guys on this forum that are very critical of pretty much everything you post. I'm new to this forum and am often reluctant to post for fear of being criticized.

Thanks for your response, guys like you make me want to stick around and glean what I can from the wealth of knowledge that is here.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:32 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Sometimes on the Forum you have to wade through a little crap to get the answers you seek. Generally though, it's a pretty useful source for info/help.

Unfortunately you've experienced what seems to be more the norm than the exception to the rule regarding incompetent GM dealers.

My $.02, only go to a dealer for warranty work.

Maybe you can post on your Regional Forum and get some recommendations from the locals regarding a shop you can trust.

Get notified of new replies

To Remember my Oil Change?

Quick Reply: Remember my Oil Change?