C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Broken Glove Box Latch

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:48 PM
blade072
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default C6 Broken Glove Box Latch

I have a 2008 C6 with Titanium interior.
I tried to open the glove box and the latch came off in my hand. I was looking thru many previous threads and this seems to be a very common problem.
The latch is of very poor design and the material is very brittle.
When will GM step up to the plate and realize that they have a problem and correct it?
Old 06-03-2014, 10:35 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

GM doesn't care, your car is out of Warranty.

My '08 titanium had the same problem under Warranty.

Took 3, two+ hour visits to the Service Dept to get it fixed.

I called, told the guy I had a broken latch, made an appt.

Kept the appt left my car with the service writer, waited 2+ hours, tracked the writer down. He tells me "you've got a broken latch, we have to order the part and will call you when the part comes in.

2 weeks later, no call so I called the parts dept. They have the part, didn't know who ordered it. Made another appt, showed up waited two+ hours again and then was told that "they" had ordered the wrong color latch, it was black. They will order the right color and call me when it comes in.

2 weeks later again they call, the correct part is in, I drive to the Dealer, wait another 2+ hours and they got the latch installed. A month and a half, 3 trips to the Dealer, 6+ hours waiting time and I finally have a working latch that's the right color.

BUT: they broke the case of the fob trying to get the key out, handed the fob to me in pieces and told me they would order another fob to replace it. I not so politely told them to forget it, I'll never deal with them again. Haven't been back to that Dealer since and will never buy anything from them again. Glad I have four other Dealers around Austin.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:42 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by haljensen

Kept the appt left my car with the service writer, waited 2+ hours, tracked the writer down. He tells me "you've got a broken latch, we have to order the part and will call you when the part comes in.

2 weeks later, no call so I called the parts dept. They have the part, didn't know who ordered it. Made another appt, showed up waited two+ hours again and then was told that "they" had ordered the wrong color latch, it was black. They will order the right color and call me when it comes in.

2 weeks later again they call, the correct part is in, I drive to the Dealer, wait another 2+ hours and they got the latch installed. A month and a half, 3 trips to the Dealer, 6+ hours waiting time and I finally have a working latch that's the right color.

BUT: they broke the case of the fob trying to get the key out, handed the fob to me in pieces and told me they would order another fob to replace it. I not so politely told them to forget it, I'll never deal with them again. Haven't been back to that Dealer since and will never buy anything from them again. Glad I have four other Dealers around Austin.
After their first lame attempt, even though its warranty, I would have bought my own part on ebay for $30 and installed it myself. That's ridiculous! That dealer probably charged GM 6 hours labor to install at glove box latch that should take 5 minutes.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

wow..
Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Boomer1980
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

REALLY??????

This is literally a 10 minute fix if you have the latch. There are plenty of places that sell the latch and should not cost more than about $40. Google "Broken glove latch on a C6" and there are a couple videos which show the process. No reason to pay for service and loss of your time and inconvenience for this very easy and minor repair.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:39 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,891 Likes on 1,913 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My cashmere latch broke also, seems it is only the colored ones that have the problem. So I ordered a black one (it is cheaper) and sent it to TKO for hydrocarbon to match the rest of my interior. Only used it 3 to 4 times since.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:32 PM
blade072
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=haljensen;1587046446]GM doesn't care, your car is out of Warranty.

BUT: they broke the case of the fob trying to get the key out, handed the fob to me in pieces and told me they would order another fob to replace it. I not so politely told them to forget it, I'll never deal with them again. Haven't been back to that Dealer since and will never buy anything from them again. Glad I have four other Dealers around Austin.[/QUOT

I ordered one from my dealer, (Midway Chevrolet in Orwell, Ohio) and I had it the next day. I then installed it myself in about 15 minutes.
Jim
Old 06-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Guard Dad
Drifting

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Purchased a new-to-me 2011 GS in November '13, the latch (ebony) fell apart by the time I got the car home. Selman Chevrolet replaced it under warranty a few days later. The support that holds the pivot pin is very lightly built, use with care, they break very easily.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:54 PM
VETTE IV
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scroll down on this link to see a zip tie glove box latch fix:

http://s49.photobucket.com/user/TomZ...oxFix.mp4.html
Old 06-03-2014, 08:38 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is what happened to mine after 4K miles in my '13 GS. Top left hand corner of picture. After a long hassle with dealer ( I'm not even going to get into that part ) I just bought a new one for $30 and it took me all of 5 minutes to take the broken one out and put the new one in.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
My cashmere latch broke also, seems it is only the colored ones that have the problem. ..........
My cashmere latch broke several years ago also. Replaced it myself. From the threads several years ago, cashmere is particularly bad about breaking due to the lack of enough carbon black in the plastic as someone observed.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:26 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Mine is titanium also. When I got the car with 1,700 miles on it, the latch was completely gone. They had to order a new latch and also lock cylinder, then rekey that cylinder to match my key. All done on warranty with no problems. Do not lose that lock cylinder...it is very easy to transfer it over to the new latch. The two lighter colors definitely are more prone, but it has happened to black also.

And the car is out of production and this is not a safety issue so GM is not going to step up and do anything about it.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Broken Glove Box Latch

Quick Reply: C6 Broken Glove Box Latch