C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof panel recall...Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 10:53 AM
ishta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof panel recall...Advice needed

So my black C6 is at my local dealer having the targa roof replaced under the roof panel separation recall. The service woman said they had to order the roof, send it to the body shop and have it painted, then install the headliner. My concern is the rest of my car isn't going to match now with this new paint. I don't expect them to paint the rest of the car but would it be too much to ask for them to buff the car while it's there? Is that reasonable? We all know how black cars are and it's going to be noticeable. It's not my fault they had to do this. Anyone else dealt with this?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

They won't do it, they can try to color match by scanning your existing paint.
Truth is being the roof, you won't really notice, unless it is drastically different than the Halo. But you only have a small amount of paint on one end of the roof next to the new paint.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:01 AM
ishta
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
They won't do it, they can try to color match by scanning your existing paint.
Truth is being the roof, you won't really notice, unless it is drastically different than the Halo. But you only have a small amount of paint on one end of the roof next to the new paint.
Gotcha. I tried to get them to cover my column lock not locking every time. They wouldn't do it. I already left her a message so I will see what she says and maybe I can squeeze it out of them. Doubtful.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

You are lucky as black is probably the easiest color to match. Lighter metallic colors are much more difficult.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 PM
rickyb
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had mine done. Ask them to call you when it's painted BEFORE they install it. That way you can make sure it looks good before they put it on. Mine was black and came out pretty well after the second buff.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Z06 Steve
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have them paint the halo as well
Old 06-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

They did mine came out fine. Since it's away from everything but the halo it wouldn't be as drastic if it was a bumper or something
Old 06-06-2014, 12:31 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It'll come out fine. My black Z06 was done and I couldn't tell at all. Actually, you don't want the dealer buffing out the rest of the car either. I guarantee you'll have swirl marks that you'll like less. And I wouldn't ask them to paint the halo as mentioned above. There's a junction at the back of the top where it meets the halo and that will seperate any minor color imbalance for you. A rule of thumb is to only let the dealer paint as little as possible; it's less for them to screw up....good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Roof panel recall...Advice needed

Quick Reply: Roof panel recall...Advice needed