C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When Changing Coolant - leave lots of time

Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default When Changing Coolant - leave lots of time

I changed out the Dex-cool in my 5 year old (13K) C6 the other day.
Read a number of posts on this and checked the manual.
So, armed with a 5 gallon jug of super-purified water (my buddy uses super filtration for the tap water before it goes into his reef tank), a clean pan and 2 gallons of dex-cool, I got started;
-Jacked up the rear a little higher than the front to drain toward the radiator.
-Opened the petcock at the bottom, passenger side rear of the radiator.
- drained the system and got a little more than 2 gallons out. Color was a bit dark, nothing bad.
-filled with clean water and ran for 2 minutes, then filled the rest of the way, and ran until the temp got over 200 degrees.
-waited 20 min or so to cool, and then drained & repeated with clean water.
-after 2 "flushes" the water came out barely pink, so I added 1.5 gallons of dex-cool and then ran 2 minutes at a time and topped off with H2O till full. Used almost all of the clean water and then 50/50'd the remaining gallon of dex-cool.
This was a very tedious task...Back and forth....Run and cool off. Too many cycles to count. Very slow drainage and filling through the overflow tank.
The good news was that I had plenty of other chores to do around the house while waiting for cooling and draining. Planting, garage cleaning, detailing & other stuff.
My advice is to do this yourself, save money, & make sure it's done right (it's easy) but have plenty of chores or other things to do while waiting.
Total cost was about $30.00 for the two gallons of Dex-cool.
Total time from start to finish - about 4 hours.
Good luck!

Last edited by BSE1956; 06-08-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Nice write up!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Good going, but I'd screw it up.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:06 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

I changed mine last fall. Yes, it is a fairly slow process. Find something else to do while draining. Mine seems to run a couple of degrees cooler after the change.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:00 PM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You added a full 2 gallons of Dexcool after draining and flushing? Since the total capacity of the system is 12.5 quarts the refill would only require slightly over 1 1/2 gallons of Dexcool.

Using 1 1/2 gallons of Dexcool gives very close to the 50% antifreeze/50%water that is required.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Good write-up. Thanks. I'm planning on doing mine soon. Always something to do during the cool down periods.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by haljensen
You added a full 2 gallons of Dexcool after draining and flushing? Since the total capacity of the system is 12.5 quarts the refill would only require slightly over 1 1/2 gallons of Dexcool.

Using 1 1/2 gallons of Dexcool gives very close to the 50% antifreeze/50%water that is required.
I know it's a lengthy post, but read that I added 1.5 gal of dex-cool.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

If you are going to change the Dex cool, then change the T stat out at the same time.

As for it if take long or short to burp, all depends on if the T stat you bought has an air bypass channel or not.

No air by pass channel, and you have to wait for the T stat to get up to temp to open before the system will start burp.

With air by pass channel in the T stat, Air and small amount of fluid can pall through the T stat before it opens to not only cut down on the air pockets during the fill, but also to burp the system out quickly as well (will burp with the fluid cold).

The brass button in the flange of the T stat below is the air bypass channel. If you are determined to use a factory T stat without the bypass channel, the drill one with a 1/16" drill bit TDC of the flange instead (to make burping the system only take a few mins, verses the Factory T stat heating cycles to open up to even allow air to pass through it instead).

Last edited by Dano523; 06-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:08 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dano523
If you are going to change the Dex cool, then change the T stat out at the same time.

As for it if take long or short to burp, all depends on if the T stat you bought has an air bypass channel or not.

No air by pass channel, and you have to wait for the T stat to get up to temp to open before the system will start burp.

With air by pass channel in the T stat, Air and small amount of fluid can pall through the T stat before it opens to not only cut down on the air pockets during the fill, but also to burp the system out quickly as well (will burp with the fluid cold).

The brass button in the flange of the T stat below is the air bypass channel. If you are determined to use a factory T stat without the bypass channel, the drill one with a 1/16" drill bit TDC of the flange instead (to make burping the system only take a few mins, verses the Factory T stat heating cycles to open up to even allow air to pass through it instead).
Great tip. Wish I knew this before I did the change. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

The factory stat, pictured, in my '12 LS3 has the "bypass channel". So does the 180* Stant 15158 I replaced it with.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Joe B.; 06-13-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

^^^^Same here. Even my 9 year old '05 had the bypass on the OEM! But then, changed out to an 160 that came with the bypass when I mod'ed for more power. Unlike back in the days thermostats don't come with bypass but most old schools drill their own, most people I knew use 1/8" drill.

Each time to get my flush out water not to have visible tint residue, required 18 gallons of distill water flush over two days - no rush style and without removing block plugs. First time was on the 5 year mark, then twice more, followed with thorough flush after silicone hose install, then the following year, Dewitts install.

Thoroughly clean, takes time and distill water is cheap. I don't change out thermostat unless needed but to each their own.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:56 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the dealer do mine and they do a couple additional steps when they do it. They charged $89.95 and it did take over an hour to make sure that they had no air pockets before they would turn over the car to me. They said that the vettes are notorious for air pockets and if it is not done right it can overheat on the trip home. They sell and service a lot of vettes and I have been using them for over 20 years and they treat vette drivers very well. They even had the tech that did the work deliver the car back to me personally so he could explain what extra steps he had done to assure that there would be no overheating problems.

They added a cleaner to the system first that was circulated though till hot and then did a complete system flush to completely remove all old coolant and any contaminants loosened by the cleaner. They then refilled with Dexcool plus added the system conditioner.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,498 Likes on 3,585 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I guess I took the easy way out, took it to the stealership, and had them use there machine to suck all the fluid out and service with fresh, and doing it that way no air bubbles, and no problems.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:58 PM
scottaolsen
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
I had the dealer do mine and they added a cleaner to the system first that was circulated though till hot and then did a complete system flush to completely remove all old coolant and any contaminants loosened by the cleaner. They then refilled with Dexcool plus added the system conditioner.

That's interesting, because GM does not recommend flushing the cooling system unless there has been "catastrophic failure or extreme corrosion. This practice is NOT required or recommended for normal service operations" And they specifically say do not use a chemical if a flush is performed.

Under normal circumstances, GM only recommends the "drain and refill" procedure.

This is why I quit going to the dealer for service, though I have to admit it was due to the Chrysler dealership screwing my wife over and over for unnecessary "tune-ups", throttle body cleanings, and flushing on her van.

Tell the GM dealer to look up bulletin 2012-09-28 and ask for your money back.

Last edited by scottaolsen; 06-13-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:18 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 213 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't use tap water in any vehicle with an aluminum cooling system, no matter how well it is filtered.

City tap water is chlorinated, and will cause aluminum corrosion and pitting to occur.

You should only use pure DISTILLED water in your cooling system.

Get notified of new replies

To When Changing Coolant - leave lots of time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When Changing Coolant - leave lots of time