C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnosing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 01:46 AM
NextCorvette
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnosing Noise

Hello Fellows,

I'm trying to figure out a noise on my 2005 corvette. I'm not entirely sure whether to classify this as a rattle, a squeak or a chirp. Maybe it's all of them...

I have been trying to figure out whether it comes from the interior underneath the dash in the passenger side or from the engine. Here is a video where I hope you can hear it:

Here is what I do know:
  • Lately I have been thinking it comes from the interior rather than the engine but it's impossible for me to figure it out. I took it to the dealership, they kept it for 2 days. They were able to reproduce the noise but they have no idea what's causing it.
  • The sound is almost always there on cold start, it remains for a while but if I drive for over 45-60 minutes it goes away and doesn't come back until next start.
  • At one time it went away completely on it's own for about 3 weeks I thought it was gone for good but then it suddenly came back.
  • It's not the belt. The noise doesn't change if I spray the belt with water and I can't hear it from outside the car due to the engine sound but I'm not discarding the sound comes from the engine. I installed a Gatorback belt and it didn't help.
  • There is some harmonic balancer wobble. It's not terrible but it's definitely there. Maybe it's the balancer or some other pulley (tensioner/idler/starter) etc.
  • The sound is present regardless of whether AC is on or OFF.
  • I know it's not the AC belt because it was removed from the car a couple days ago because the AC compressor failed, the dealership ordered a new one and will install it as soon as it gets here but in the mean time I'm driving the car with no AC belt on. The noise is still there without the AC belt.
  • Could it be the alternator is working too hard? Maybe my battery needs replacing. I've bought a new battery and will install it this week to see if it helps. If it was the serpentine belt or a pulley why would the noise go away after I've driven for a longer period of time?
  • There is a squeaky sound that combines with the other noise that might come from the rubber bushings on the sway bars.
  • The sound worsens on a bumpy road but I know it can't be the suspension because the noise is there even at idle where the car is not moving. As long as the engine is on the noise is there.
  • In accessory mode the noise is not present so it's probably not electrical.

I'm hoping someone that recognizes the noise and was able to fix it will be able to help. I've done my research and read every thread tagged with squeak, rattle, chirp thus the information above but I still can't figure it out and need help.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NextCorvette; 06-24-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry I can't help but I can hear it in the video. The sound seems constant like squeaky vibration that seems present all the time during your driving. It's very subtle but I can see why it would drive you crazy. Is that the sound you are talking about?
Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM
NextCorvette
5th Gear

Yes that's exactly the sound I'm talking about. I'm glad its audible and that you were able to pinpoint the sound regardless of the background noise (engine, road noise, shifting etc) but yeah that constant sound is what's driving me crazy.

It makes my expensive dream car feel like a used 200,000 mile yugo. Hopefully someone else will be able to help.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Well,I don't hear a damn thing..but that's probably because of my tinnitus! However,there have been issues with the HARMONIC BALANCER in many vettes that make a chirping,squeaking,squealing kind of sound.Open your hood and see if anything is wobbling in there..
Old 06-24-2014, 02:32 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I you are seeing wobble of your Harmonic Balancer that's probably your problem. That's not something to ignore for long. Failure can be pretty catastrophic when the engine is running.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM
NextCorvette
5th Gear

After I replace the battery today. I'll record a video of the harmonic balancer while the engine is running and post it here.

If the general consensus is that it needs replacing. I'll make sure to have the dealership install an ATI SUPER DAMPER, Billet Belt Tensioner, and new pulleys when they replace the AC compressor.

I have been planing on a new master cylinder and having my clutch reservoir fluid replaced as well. I guess I will also put new z06 sway bars while I'm at it. Men this is getting expensive.

Last edited by NextCorvette; 06-24-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I really don't hear much noise, but if its worse when you hit bumps, even small ones, check out the stabilizer end links.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:46 PM
NextCorvette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
I you are seeing wobble of your Harmonic Balancer that's probably your problem. That's not something to ignore for long. Failure can be pretty catastrophic when the engine is running.
Interesting. Assuming I have a balancer problem what could happen if I didn't replaced it immediately and is there anyway I can figure out how long do I have before something bad happens. I mean is it like I should take care of this today or is it OK if I hold on it for a month or two. The vette is my main mode of transportation and I would have to figure something out while it's at the shop.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:49 PM
NextCorvette
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Red08
I really don't hear much noise, but if its worse when you hit bumps, even small ones, check out the stabilizer end links.
Will take a look. Is there a test I could perform to see if the end links are making noise?

May be I'll just add it to my list and replace them by heavier duty ones. I hear good things about LG HD endlinks...
Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by NextCorvette
Interesting. Assuming I have a balancer problem what could happen if I didn't replaced it immediately and is there anyway I can figure out how long do I have before something bad happens. I mean is it like I should take care of this today or is it OK if I hold on it for a month or two. The vette is my main mode of transportation and I would have to figure something out while it's at the shop.
It comes apart during engine operation it means that the elastomer compound that holds the inner part (attached to crankshaft) to the outer part (belt pulley) tears apart, allowing the separated pulley to go on its merry way taking with it any other part it comes in contact with as it flies off. Can be pretty damaging to the front of the engine or radiator, etc. No way to tell how long before that happens to yours if it is wobbling now. The wobble is a result of the elastomer starting to break down. If it's wobbling noticeably don't wait to get it fixed.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Jimbeaux
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had a similar sound in my 05. Turned out to be the A pillar cover on the inside rubbing against the glass. Because of the acoustics in the car, it sounded like it was coming from a completely different area.
Try pressing on the A pillar when driving and have a passenger do it on the passenger side and see if it is one or both making the noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Help Diagnosing Noise

Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Noise