C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the shifter knob lock-out button work?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM
classicfit
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the shifter **** lock-out button work?

I recently suffered the dreaded shifter lock-up in my '06 A6, but fortunately was able to fix it thanks to other postings and pics pertaining to this problem on Corvette Forum. However, while checking the shift **** lock-out button as a possible source of the problem, I noticed that there was a little cross-shaped white piece of plastic that is moved up and down by the shifter button. I couldn't figure out how this mechanism could push down the horizontal rod at the base of the shift lever that in turn pushes down the spring. I couldn't get the shifter **** off to investigate further how this works and consequently couldn't see if there is any linkage inside the shaft. Does anyone know? It doesn't look like that flimsy little white piece of plastic could possibly generate enough force to push the spring down so that you can pull the shifter into gear.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 PM
A4ea
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by classicfit
I recently suffered the dreaded shifter lock-up in my '06 A6, but fortunately was able to fix it thanks to other postings and pics pertaining to this problem on Corvette Forum. However, while checking the shift **** lock-out button as a possible source of the problem, I noticed that there was a little cross-shaped white piece of plastic that is moved up and down by the shifter button. I couldn't figure out how this mechanism could push down the horizontal rod at the base of the shift lever that in turn pushes down the spring. I couldn't get the shifter **** off to investigate further how this works and consequently couldn't see if there is any linkage inside the shaft. Does anyone know? It doesn't look like that flimsy little white piece of plastic could possibly generate enough force to push the spring down so that you can pull the shifter into gear.
s, mine did it again! Seemingly after a "partial" button (careless) depression. been to the dealership once already for this. Can't seem to find fix on forum. Depressing! Help!
Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Chances are that your issue is caused by the brake solenoid (Transmission Shift Control Solenoid) not disengaging fast enough before you shift from Park.

Quick shifting from PARK to DRIVE after starting the vehicle can bind the shift lock control. This happens because the ECM requires at least one second to release the Transmission Shift Control Solenoid before the driver should move the shift lever.

Prior to the introduction of Keyless Access, the driver turned the ignition key and then moved to the shift lever – this gave the ECM enough time to send and receive signals.
With Easy Key, if the driver presses the START button and then immediately shifts the transmission shift lever, it is possible to beat the shift lock control signal to the ECM.

Cam Lock Normal Condition Cam Lock Released Properly
When this quick shifting occurs – the Cam Lock may not release – which causes the shifter to move without actually shifting gears. If the shift lever is placed into gear prior to the Shift Lock Control Solenoid deactivating the park pawl, the shift assembly can become jammed leaving the vehicle stuck in neutral.

I have my shifter **** removed if you want to see a picture of the plastic rod that the button pushes down to shift.
The solenoid must be released, or the shifter **** is hard to depress and shift, but it can be done with enough force, but can break things as well.
A few have purposely broken the locking tab so the solenoid is taken out of play for shifting.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-17-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To How does the shifter knob lock-out button work?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does the shifter knob lock-out button work?