C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 AM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Newbie Question

Hello all I just bought my first Vette and I am taking it in next week to have an XPEL clear bra put on and the windows tinted, but I was wondering how do you stop the Drivers and Passengers windows from rolling down when the door opens? They both open about a quarter of an inch and then roll up when the door is closed, and I don't want them to do this when the tint is applied so it can properly dry.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:22 AM
joehenry
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You are kidding right?
Old 07-04-2014, 03:38 AM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Wouldn't disconnecting the battery do the trick? They have to be reset to (index) after a battery disconnection don't they? Have the glass tinted before they're re indexed. Just guessing here.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryL
Wouldn't disconnecting the battery do the trick? They have to be reset to (index) after a battery disconnection don't they? Have the glass tinted before they're re indexed. Just guessing here.

That's what I thought you just beat me to it
Old 07-04-2014, 05:52 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Congrats on buying a great looking GS
Old 07-04-2014, 06:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Disconnecting the battery will be the only way to keep the windows from trying to clear the trim when opening and closing the doors. And if the battery is disconnected the door pads won't work to open the doors so you better know about the key to open the hatch and where the mechanical pulls are.

But the installer you pick better know all this already or you are going to have a lot more issues when the installer doesn't know how to install tint over the dots on the hatch glass.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Disconnecting the battery will be the only way to keep the windows from trying to clear the trim when opening and closing the doors. And if the battery is disconnected the door pads won't work to open the doors so you better know about the key to open the hatch and where the mechanical pulls are.

But the installer you pick better know all this already or you are going to have a lot more issues when the installer doesn't know how to install tint over the dots on the hatch glass.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies but I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am asking. I do not want the window to roll down when I open the door.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:44 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Shostopper
Thanks for the replies but I think you guys are misunderstanding what I am asking. I do not want the window to roll down when I open the door.
They understand. Disconnect the battery and your windows will not roll down when you open the door.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Are you asking because you want to temporarily disable this while waiting for it to "cure"? You can either disconnect the battery, or you can move the window position slightly from the "up" pollution. It should not index then.

If you want to do this permanently for whatever reason, you will be sorry. It will be loud and will whistle while driving, as well as not be sealed, so you can expect some water coming in and all the attendant musty, moldy, yuckiness (that's a technical term) that goes with it.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Johnathon59
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Are you asking because you want to temporarily disable this while waiting for it to "cure"? You can either disconnect the battery, or you can move the window position slightly from the "up" pollution. It should not index then.

If you want to do this permanently for whatever reason, you will be sorry. It will be loud and will whistle while driving, as well as not be sealed, so you can expect some water coming in and all the attendant musty, moldy, yuckiness (that's a technical term) that goes with it.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I just reread this, and a third option is that the OP doesn't want the window to index "down", in which case the answer is that he will not be able to open or close the door at all. Even with the battery disconnected, the only way to open the door is to use the door pull on the floor or the pull in the hatch/trunk which will index the window down even with no power.

Last edited by owc6; 07-04-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:18 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
They understand. Disconnect the battery and your windows will not roll down when you open the door.
They won't roll down all the way, but they'll be down to the indexing position. Disconnecting the battery will make them index down, but they won't go back up when the door's closed. He wants the window to stay all the way up, but I'm not even sure the door would close that way. It might hit the trim piece that indexing down serves to miss.

I suppose he could just leave the doors open until the tint dries, but they don't put it all the way to the top of the window anyway. There's a small margin at the top edge where there's not trim, as I understand it.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:31 PM
11Black-GS
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to see if there is a fuse that you can pull to prevent this. In my BMW you just needed to pull a fuse and the windows wouldn't go down. I just had my windows tinted and made sure I told the installer about it just so that he can tint it accordingly. If you can, just don't drive your car for a few days after the tint is installed. I don't think you will hurt anything opening the door a few times afterwards.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Chuck Little
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are worrying needlessly.
Just look at all the Corvettes that have tinted windows.
Just don't drive it, if you are really concerned. My installer told me just to keep it at a minimum and don't roll the windows down.
The only sure way, remove the windows from the car, tint them, let them heal, and re-install, and pray the installer doesn't scratch the tint.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:43 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

What you are referring to is Window Indexing. It is built in and it cannot be discontinued except as already stated in the battery disconnect. Seeing you are taking the car in to have this done, you will have to get in the car to drive it home. So you have one option and that is open the hatch and clime if through the rear hatch area and exit the same way.

With that said I am sure your window tinting company has done C6 Corvette's and they are aware of teh issue and will compensate for that. If they have never done a Corvette find another place.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:55 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

^what the gentleman above said. The last statement is the most important. The level of obsession to cease any indexing outweighs the true need for said worry over tint adhering right.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Shostopper
Burning Brakes

Ok I see what you guys are saying, thank for the input. My installer has done many C6's and a few C7's
Old 07-04-2014, 08:35 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Shostopper
Ok I see what you guys are saying, thank for the input. My installer has done many C6's and a few C7's
Then he is well aware of the indexing issue and you will be fine.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie Question

Quick Reply: Newbie Question