C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on fluids change for an eight year old C6

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Dave_C6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on fluids change for an eight year old C6

Hello All, I have a question about changing fluids my 2006 C6 automatic. I bought the car with 10,600 miles on it from the original owner about 4 1/2 years ago. I just hit 37,000 miles. None of the fluids except oil & filter have ever been changed. I’m in Scottsdale Arizona where temps range from low 100s to 110-plus in the summer months.

At my last oil change the dealer recommended changing all major fluids. This includes transmission fluid, differential fluid, radiator coolant, brake fluid and power steering fluid. Because of our summer heat he also recommended changing the serpentine belt, fuel filter and suggested changing out the plugs. As you can imagine the cost to do all this is astronomical. I do not have the time or inclination to do the work myself.

The car is a daily driver and I plan to keep it at least another year. I don’t baby my vehicles but I do want to make sure they are reliable. Do I really need to change all of these fluids or should I follow the service intervals in the owners manual? The dealer said the age of the car (eight years old) supersedes the mileage recommendations in the manual. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It really is worth it to do so. You will feel like your car drives like new after this...almost. The trans and diff fluid will make the biggest difference by feel, sound, economy and the like; it is just the thing to do. The DOT 3 fluid for your brakes should have been changed long ago and your power steering fluid as well. Do the DexCool also just for good form!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

man..thats a tough one since your intentions is to only keep it another year. I would leave well enough alone. its the tranny and diff fluid changes that I would be wary of. I would hate to start to have issues with either one of those AFTER the fluid has been changed for PREVENTIVE maintenance. your call tho.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Last edited by tennblkc6; 07-10-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-10-2014, 05:13 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, coolant every 5 years, auto trans 50,000-100,000 miles depending on use. IMO if the auto trans fluid looks and smells good and the trans is shifting fine then leave it alone. Those are the major, important ones. The others are nice to change but not necessary.

As for belts and hoses, time in use/age is as critical as mileage and eight years is about the prudent limit especially in Phoenix heat. I doubt you want to be one of "those" disabled cars on the side of the highway 100 degree heat with a broken serpentine belt or blown coolant hose.....because they were "old" and worn out. I would change all of that for peace of mind.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:20 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, coolant every 5 years, auto trans 50,000-100,000 miles depending on use. IMO if the auto trans fluid looks and smells good and the trans is shifting fine then leave it alone. Those are the major, important ones. The others are nice to change but not necessary.
As for belts and hoses, time in use/age is as critical as mileage and eight years is about the prudent limit especially in Phoenix heat. I doubt you want to be one of "those" disabled cars on the side of the highway 100 degree heat with a broken serpentine belt or blown coolant hose.....because they were "old" and worn out. I would change all of that for peace of mind.
Change them!
Old 07-10-2014, 05:38 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The dealer is trying to load you up with un necessary repairs. Read your owners manual for recommended maintenance intervals on all these items. There are several quick visual checks on some of the items that can help you decide if an item is really necessary.
1) GM specs call for a change of the Dexcool every 5 years or 50K miles. This needs to be done since the corrosion inhibitors degrade over time.
2) Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water - no change interval specified by GM. Look at color - fluid should be a clear golden color - if it is dark - replace
3) Tranny and diff fluids - leave them alone unless you have subjected the car to extreme usage - tracking or drag racing, etc.
4) Plugs have a change interval of 100K miles - leave them alone
5) Serpentine belts and hoses - Arizona heat and time are killers of these items. If it was my car, I would change them out for piece of mind. Look at them closely and check for any signs of deterioration, cracking, etc.
6) Power steering fluid - no recommended change interval. Check fluid color - it should be a light red and clear. Any discoloration and or particulates showing require a flush.
7) Tire Pressure Monitoring system sensors in the wheels. These have a battery that usually lasts 6-8 years, you are running on borrowed time if they are the originals.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

It never hurts anything to change any of fluids. It only hurts not to.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

You will find a variety of opinions here. The only fluid that should have been changed according to the owner's manual is the coolant at five years.

I know other owners believe in changing all the fluids on a schedule, but my car is about the same age and mileage as yours, and I change the oil annually and changed the coolant at five years.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hit 42K miles on my 06Z and have only changed out the coolant. I have not done a brake flush, but I have removed the dirty fluid and put new in there. I was careful not to get any air in the lines. I also changed my clutch fluid out every oil change. Have not touched the rear diff or the manual trans yet.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:19 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I bought my '06 coupe a little over 2 years ago when it had just under 9K miles on it. Just for my own peace of mind, I had the transmission fluid, radiator coolant, engine oil and filter, and differential fluids all changed. I do engine oil changes everytime the DIC gets between 40 and 50% and I don't care if that's excessive. The car runs better than new and I intend to keep it going that way.

I also got new tires a few months ago and bought an Opima Red Top battery just after I bought the car as well. To me it's worth every penny spent knowing that my car is in top shape all the time.

One could likely get by with far less maintenance, but I just don't mind doing it.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The dealer is trying to load you up with un necessary repairs. Read your owners manual for recommended maintenance intervals on all these items. There are several quick visual checks on some of the items that can help you decide if an item is really necessary.
1) GM specs call for a change of the Dexcool every 5 years or 50K miles. This needs to be done since the corrosion inhibitors degrade over time.
2) Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs water - no change interval specified by GM. Look at color - fluid should be a clear golden color - if it is dark - replace
3) Tranny and diff fluids - leave them alone unless you have subjected the car to extreme usage - tracking or drag racing, etc.
4) Plugs have a change interval of 100K miles - leave them alone
5) Serpentine belts and hoses - Arizona heat and time are killers of these items. If it was my car, I would change them out for piece of mind. Look at them closely and check for any signs of deterioration, cracking, etc.
6) Power steering fluid - no recommended change interval. Check fluid color - it should be a light red and clear. Any discoloration and or particulates showing require a flush.
7) Tire Pressure Monitoring system sensors in the wheels. These have a battery that usually lasts 6-8 years, you are running on borrowed time if they are the originals.

The few things that really need to be done should be well under $300 (radiator flush, serpentine belt)

Last edited by R&L's C6; 07-10-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 PM
92 ZR1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just changed my manual trans and diff fluids. Car had 67000 miles and it shifts so much better now and diff is much quieter. I used redline in both.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Coolant, you can do a ph level test with litmus paper, can be purchased on line. If fluid test is within specifications no change is necessary. As for other fluids, your trading soon, why bother.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_C6
As you can imagine the cost to do all this is astronomical. I do not have the time or inclination to do the work myself.
Find a good independent garage and you can get it done at a fraction of the cost of what the dealer charges. These are basic maintenance tasks that any competent mechanic can do. They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
You will find a variety of opinions here. The only fluid that should have been changed according to the owner's manual is the coolant at five years.

I know other owners believe in changing all the fluids on a schedule, but my car is about the same age and mileage as yours, and I change the oil annually and changed the coolant at five years.

My 2007 will turn 8 years old this coming October and has had normal oil and filter changes yearly. The only thing that the service manager at the dealership that sold the car new here in Tucson said that should be done was to change the coolant 2 years ago. They said that they check everything when they do the oil changes and everything still looked fine and no other services were needed including brake fluid was still fine. Your manual gives you a schedule as to when all those services your dealer suggested actually be done.

Sounds to me like your service manager is suggesting things that are far more beneficial to the dealership than what it will be to you and your vehicle. You should have no need for plugs or trans service till you hit 100k miles unless you have been tracking the car or have been doing a lot of heavy trailer pulling.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
TerryL
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

At 53,000 all fluids were changed in my 06 except for the differential. It was six years old with no obvious leaks anywhere (clean bottom front to back) and I had a copy of every single service order with no problems ever but, why not? Heading out for a 4,000 mile trip I felt better knowing all the juices were...flowing properly. Maybe I'll do the differential next oil change. I plan on having it for a long time.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on fluids change for an eight year old C6

Old 07-10-2014, 09:54 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

The fact that he wanted to replace your spark plugs at 37K miles reveals that he is a crook. Don't go back to him.

Otherwise, at least change the coolant. pH test is nice but there is more to coolant than pH. I don't think pH indicates the condition of the corrosion inhibitors. Maybe it does. Who you gonna believe? Manual says 5 years. I changed mine at 5 yrs cuz that is the OEM recc.

If the brake fluid is dark, replace it to. Diff and tranny really not necessary at your mileage.

Belt - you can inspect with a good light to check for little cracks or just replace them. Replacing the spark plugs would be foolish. Replacing the belts would be reasonable if you are unsure of condition. Not worth risking.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

If in doubt, change it out.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:16 AM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my Vette with 23K on it and had it at Chevy within a week to have all fluids flushed, bled, and replaced along with belts and hoses. 9 years is too long to have any of those things not replaced. Cheap insurance. And they can find other things while doing so. In my case a weeping oil pan gasket. Not leaking but i had it replaced as well. They looked as I directed them to but found nothing else needing attention. (Except tPMS sensors were not replaced wtih the new rims and tires.) I had A tire company replace them for $65 a wheel. (Chevy wanted $125 per)

I don't screw around and cheap out on maintenance. When I sell this car the next owner will know its all been done.

I had Chevy do it because that would be a plus for me if I were buying a car to see the dealer doing the work UNLESS. it was a Corvette specialty shop. Plus it stays with the VIN at GM as well as CarFax

I do hydraulic fluid changes every two years. especially brakes. Always have on bikes. Cars should not be any different.

Last edited by Tbong; 07-11-2014 at 12:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Question on fluids change for an eight year old C6