Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
wjhgolf

Default Storage Suggestions

I will soon be putting my 2006 Coupe into storage for about 8 months - from mid-August until mid-April and it will be in a large, unheated garage with a concrete floor. In the past, I have always stored it (I bought it new) in my unheated garage with a dust cover, plugged into a trickle charger, added a few lbs to the tires and StaBil to a fresh full tank of fuel following an oil change, but the longest I've stored it has been for about 5 months and I would take it out to drive it maybe once a winter for 20 miles or so. I plan to do the same in this larger garage, including the dust cover, but I won't be driving it at all. Any other suggestions or should I be fine. Thanks!
wjhgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
LV2TOUR
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhgolf View Post
I will soon be putting my 2006 Coupe into storage for about 8 months - from mid-August until mid-April and it will be in a large, unheated garage with a concrete floor. In the past, I have always stored it (I bought it new) in my unheated garage with a dust cover, plugged into a trickle charger, added a few lbs to the tires and StaBil to a fresh full tank of fuel following an oil change, but the longest I've stored it has been for about 5 months and I would take it out to drive it maybe once a winter for 20 miles or so. I plan to do the same in this larger garage, including the dust cover, but I won't be driving it at all. Any other suggestions or should I be fine. Thanks!
You will be fine with the prep that you mentioned. I store mine for over 5 months, with the same prep you do, and I never start it over those months
LV2TOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
dvilin
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2TOUR View Post
You will be fine with the prep that you mentioned. I store mine for over 5 months, with the same prep you do, and I never start it over those months
dvilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
mickey5
CF Senior Member

Here at the Jersey Shore most boats are stored from october til the following June. The one thing everbody does is fog the motor through the intake (either FI or carb engines). This coats the entire inside of the motor with a protective film. I've stored my 5.7L GM V8 powered runabout for as long as 3 years with a fogged engine which came through with no problems.

Besides fogging also plug the pipes to protect from condensation getting to the valves.
mickey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Fogging coats the crank and rods and stuff ?? interesting
windyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
Red08
CF Senior Member

You should be fine with what you are doing.
Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
mickey5
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
Fogging coats the crank and rods and stuff ?? interesting
Fogging is primarily to protect cylinder walls, rings, valves and guides. It prevents a dry start with the rings scraping cylinders. The bottom end is usually coated with engine oil which is pressurized through the bearings.

Its cheap insurance (about $5 for a can) and only takes a few minutes to perform. Google motor fogging for more info.
mickey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
icntdrv55
CF Senior Member

Sounds like the storage is pretty varmint-proof, but it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some mothballs around the interior and leave several baited glue traps around each tire, just in case…

Little boogers can do an awful lot of damage in a short time, and they breed….well….like rats.

Might also seek out a nearby gas station that sells pure gas, i.e., non-ethanol-containing fuel, for that last fill-up.
icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
COMMANDER2OOO
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icntdrv55 View Post
Sounds like the storage is pretty varmint-proof, but it wouldn't hurt to sprinkle some mothballs around the interior and leave several baited glue traps around each tire, just in case…

Little boogers can do an awful lot of damage in a short time, and they breed….well….like rats.

Might also seek out a nearby gas station that sells pure gas, i.e., non-ethanol-containing fuel, for that last fill-up.
we have a service station here that sell pure gas 102 octane cost is 7 or 8 bucks a gallon ouchhhhhhhh
COMMANDER2OOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
ruenvs
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

mduski mduski

Agree with post #8. Mice/rats have been known to be a problem. Usually not but cheap insurance.
ruenvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #11
SmokinZ51
CF Senior Member

with what others have said. I also put a box of baking soda (the same you put in the fridge) inside to help soak up any odors from being closed up for so long. I did read peppermint oil keeps mice away. I might give it a try this winter. It has to smell better than mothballs
SmokinZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
icntdrv55
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinZ51 View Post
I did read peppermint oil keeps mice away. I might give it a try this winter. It has to smell better than mothballs
Ahhh. Gotta love the smell of naphtha in the spring.
icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Storage Suggestions