C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a C6 with Z51 rough ride on city streets?

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Anne Strauss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a C6 with Z51 rough ride on city streets?

Is a C6 with Z51 rough ride on city streets?

I looked at one this AM without the Z51 package. I told the salesman I will think about it. He said what's the problem, this one will be gone if you think very long. I told him I might hold out for one with a Z51. He rambled for 3 minutes about how it is a crappier ride on city streets. I said so if this had Z51 would you tell me the ride is similar?? He turned kind of red.

My question to you experienced forum members/owners is he telling the truth? I will probably do 85% city miles?

Thanks bunches Anne
Old 07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the Z51 package, bigger brakes, extra cooling, and yes a little firmer ride, although I can't compare with non Z51. I run non run flat tires and I think my ride is very smooth.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:59 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 818 Likes on 387 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have a Z51 optioned car that is lowered all the way on the stock bolts and one bushing cut in the rear and yes it is a little rougher then the base, but I have no problem with it. Besides if I wanted a soft ride I would have a Cadillac. It is a sports car and that is what I wanted.

Not my first Corvette by the way.

As for the salesman, he just wanted to make a sale. Had it been a Z51 equipped car he would have told you how great it would handle compared to a base suspension.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

It's really a personal decision, based on your own comfort level.

Yes, the Z51 suspension does produce a firmer ride, but I personally like it.

Of course where you drive is very important as well. I'm in south Florida.

Nearly all roads are smooth and flat and in excellent condition.

If I drove in an area loaded with bumps, lumps, and potholes, I would not want the Z51 option.

It's something you'll have to decide for yourself, after test driving a Z51 'vette, in your area.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

A C6 with Z51 is a little rough riding if you are on a bad road surface, but for the most part rides nicely for a sports car. It's best described as "firm', not "rough".

The only way to know if its for you is to test drive it. BTW there are tens of thousands of C6's with Z51, if the one you're looking at gets sold, you'll find another. Take your time until you know what you want.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Z51vette88
Racer

Take ur time. Find the rite one . An go z51 better resale too
Old 07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I've been driving a Z51 for eight years on badly maintained CA streets and freeways and have never regretted making the Z51 choice. In the end though, it's a personal and individual choice as to what you expect from the car and what you feel is important. Go drive one before you make up your mind.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Aves_Guy
Intermediate

Default Not that rough

I had a C6 with Z51 for a couple of years. Really, I didn't think the ride was an issue. Afterall, I was driving a sports car and was willing to accept a little roughness. Personally, and just speculation, I'll bet after driving it for just a few weeks you'll not even notice. That even more so if your roads are fairly decent. I just think it's a non-issue.

I traded it in for one of the 2013 427's. Still don't notice it unless I'm trying to compare the ride to my wife's BMW 5 series, then there's a noticeable difference. No surprise there!
Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Posi6
Intermediate

It all depends on the pavement. It it's in bad shape, you will feel it in the Z51. If the pavement is good the car rides smooth all day long. If you are looking for a smooth ride, the CTS-V may be more for you. JMO.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe you need to be asking yourself why you are buying a Corvette. What are you really looking for in the car. Once you have those answers then you can make a better selection for the car you want. Not trying to be mean or anything, just trying to point out that if you don't answer these types of questions before you buy then you could be sorry after you buy.

If you want more performance oriented ride then the Z51 option is what you want. If you just want the looks and softer ride then non-Z51 optioned car may be what you need. As far as rough ride goes, this is a Corvette and it will not ride like a Cadillac no matter the options.

If you want the ability to change the ride slightly then consider an F55 optioned 'Vette.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard rotors and calipers dont look nearly as good as Z-51 brakes.
Ride is no problem after the factory Goodyear tires are replaced.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Z51 is a little firmer even on relatively smooth roads. But that means it corners better too with less dip and sway. On city streets depends on the city ... here, it's OK. In New Orleans, for example, it'd probably be hell. They have about the worst streets I've ever seen. Probably with any sports car those streets would beat you to death. It's like a continual row of speed bumps, and then potholes between.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:45 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I'm on my third Z51 equipped Vette and wouldn't have a standard. Yes, it's firmer but not tooth rattling. I should add I'm in AZ and we have some of the best roads in the country.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Anne, I don't necessarily disagree w. either the salesman or the others posting above. I think it really all depends on you. Have you test driven a Z51 equipped C6 in the city? And btw, what city are we talking about? NYC, Philly, Chicago, etc. are quite a bit different from other major cities.

For me, the biggest difference w. a Z51 equipped car was changing the tires to Michelin's PS2 runflat after the original Goodyears had hardened. Still, call me whatever but I've avoided the major cities that I know to be bumpy, rutted, and just plain awful. It is, for me, just no fun to ride on streets like that with this car.

But rather than discuss it with a salesman, what you need to do is experience it---both Z51 and non-Z51 in order to speak as an informed buyer. Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Think of it as being able to feel the road surfaces better than the base model, but no where as punishing as the Z06 on rough roads instead.

The downfall on the base model with non F55 is that there suspension/front end is a tad too soft, so you don't get the front end bite that you will with a Z-51/GS/ Z06. Also, you get a little more lean in the corners as well with the base model.

As for a road driver, Z-51 with DRM Bilstein shock is really the way to go. Car will stay flat, has good bite on both ends, and still not as punishing as the stiffer Z06 (higher tension sways and springs). The DRM Bilstein use a slightly different valving that the standard Bilstein sports, but no severe as to be pushing instead.

As for the make up of the different suspensions (base/Z-51/Z06), it comes down to spring tension rates, sway bar thickness, and shocks.

The base is the softest, the z51 the next stiffer, then the stiffness of the Z06. Short of a T1 set up, the Z06 is great for tracking, but if you have to drive rougher roads, lets just say way more road feed back (jolting) that you really need.

As for F55 shocks, since they are magnetic adjustable, are semi the best of both worlds to a degree (depending on the rest of the set up), since they can be adjusted from soft to firm with the touch of a button/dial. Their really downfall (like every other fixed shock) is that you can not adjust each stage individually (high and low speed dampening, rebound, stroke length).
Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I purchased the base model since I was intending to use it as my daily driver and I rarely push the car anyway. When I do push it there is more in the car than I have in me so the Z51 is not needed.

The base model rides softer than my 07 Acura TL Type S did. It's comparable to my Audi Allroad and softer than a 4x4 pickup, yet will still out perform them all.

Perhaps if it was a 3rd car only used for spirited driving on the weekends and auto-cross/track days it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:58 PM
VipersRnotVettes
Racer

Originally Posted by Hameister
It's really a personal decision, based on your own comfort level.

Yes, the Z51 suspension does produce a firmer ride, but I personally like it.

Of course where you drive is very important as well. I'm in south Florida.

Nearly all roads are smooth and flat and in excellent condition.

If I drove in an area loaded with bumps, lumps, and potholes, I would not want the Z51 option.

It's something you'll have to decide for yourself, after test driving a Z51 'vette, in your area.

Good luck.
I also have the Z51 option, and when the roads are lumpy and bumpy, it's a stiffer and rougher ride, but on the highway or smooth roads, it's A-OK...We do lot's long road trips, and the car is very comfy. Tires make a huge difference in ride as well. The GY F1 Supercars are way stiffer and rougher than say Michelin or Firestone.
Find out what tires are on it, and get them changed if they are GY's.
The best of both world's would be to buy one with the Magnetic Select Ride Control.

Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To Is a C6 with Z51 rough ride on city streets?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:02 PM
deadsexyii
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nope
Old 07-15-2014, 05:09 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I found the Z51 suspension a little harsh.

Yet the base coupe is way to soft.

Unless you want all the Z51 xtras I just get the base and change the shocks.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:13 PM
danl23188
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by biker1059
I have the Z51 package, bigger brakes, extra cooling, and yes a little firmer ride, although I can't compare with non Z51. I run non run flat tires and I think my ride is very smooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is a C6 with Z51 rough ride on city streets?