C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
slash8915
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on our cars?

Right now my DD is an '09 Z06 that's Cyber grey metallic (not sure if the metallic paints are any more or less prone to fading than normal colors.). My current job has a parking garage, so it stays out of the sun, rain, ect. I'm about to get a new job that doesn't have any sort of covered parking. Naturally, I'm worried about how the elements will treat my car. Especially being as that I'm in Houston, TX.

I considered getting a nice car cover, but it seems like it would be a major pain to to put it on and remove it every single day. Not to mention that if it's raining when I get off, it would not be good. Another option would be to get a basic DD, but that's pretty costly.

I'm mostly worried about the sun fading my paint and yellowing my headlights. I would use a sun visor at the very least, to protect the interior since the windows are all tinted. So I'm wondering how well our cars deal with direct sunlight? Rain isn't too much of an issue, as I would wash it frequently.

Last edited by slash8915; 07-21-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

The paint will be fine - just keep the car with a good coat of wax every 3 months
The headlights will look terrible in 3-5 years just start looking for a bargain set to replace yours when the time comes
Old 07-21-2014, 09:34 PM
slash8915
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
The paint will be fine - just keep the car with a good coat of wax every 3 months
The headlights will look terrible in 3-5 years just start looking for a bargain set to replace yours when the time comes
I remember seeing some sort of screen protector type things that can be put on the the headlights that are supposed to prevent yellowing/hazing. They were applied with special solution of some sort.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

I bought a new Forester about 3 weeks ago, and it has to sit outside. The Vette and Caddy sit in the garage. I also got a car cover, a nice heavy one, to protect against tree sap, sun, etc.

That thing is the biggest PITA I've ever seen. One person really can't do it by himself without spending at least 10 minutes doing it. Plus at some point it'll drag on the ground and potentially pick up stones and other debris to scratch the paint.

In my experience, a car cover just isn't worth the hassle, unless it's one of the really light weight ones. I can't even tell the back from the front of the thing with it off the car.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:50 PM
slash8915
Instructor

Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I bought a new Forester about 3 weeks ago, and it has to sit outside. The Vette and Caddy sit in the garage. I also got a car cover, a nice heavy one, to protect against tree sap, sun, etc.

That thing is the biggest PITA I've ever seen. One person really can't do it by himself without spending at least 10 minutes doing it. Plus at some point it'll drag on the ground and potentially pick up stones and other debris to scratch the paint.

In my experience, a car cover just isn't worth the hassle, unless it's one of the really light weight ones. I can't even tell the back from the front of the thing with it off the car.
My point exactly. I'd be getting a light weight one, but it just seems like a huge PITA to have to use every single day. Especially in the rain.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 PM
markzeronine
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a daily or keep your current job. I feel bad leaving mine outside for the one day out of every 4 months I take it to work lol
Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 PM
RocketDawg
Le Mans Master

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by slash8915
My point exactly. I'd be getting a light weight one, but it just seems like a huge PITA to have to use every single day. Especially in the rain.
Mine was such a hassle I've quit using it ... essentially wasted $145 but at least learned a lesson.

I now park it on the side of the driveway instead of the driveway extension, which has overhanging trees with plenty of sap. Some of the stuff the tree dropped would stain, and soap and water wouldn't get it off. I had to use some Menzerna Final Polish to get it off. The new parking place doesn't have that problem to a great extent even though it's only a few feet away.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Tbong
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I leased a CRV for that reason. Even though I don't have a daily commute I don;t want to make the Vette an errand runner. It is nine years old when I bought it and it clearly had not been in the sun very much even with 23K on it. I don't want to change that.

The CRV will live in the driveway.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Daviddear30
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 72 Posts

You can wax or apply sealant to the headlights (not just paint)
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 PM
woody6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Daviddear30
You can wax or apply sealant to the headlights (not just paint)
Ditto. I wax the plastic headlights on my cars just to have the UV protection on them.

Get notified of new replies

To How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on our cars?

Quick Reply: How UV-resistant are the paint and headlights on our cars?