C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming new FOB

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:18 AM
bdeis61159
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming new FOB

I have a 2006 corvette. BOTH fobs do not function even with new batteries. I had them tested at the chevy dealer. I can start the car with either fob by utilizing the glove compartment slot. The fob receiver recognizes both fobs individually because it displays our names on the DIC during startup. Here's the question: If I buy a new FOB can I put either one of the original fobs in the slot to start the programming process and simply add the new one by removing the original one and putting the new one in the slot at the appropriate time? If so, will I still have the original fobs to use as a backup or will it wipe out those fobs. I have the procedure for both the short programming method ( descibed above) and the long method that includes the 3 ten minutes countdowns.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I'm not familiar with the exact steps required to do the programming, but if you use the short procedure correctly, it will add the new fob as the next fob number and will not deprogram any of the old fobs.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 PM
rfkirk
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 490 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a 2007 C6 with the old style fob and key for the license plate key hole. I wanted the newer style key fob first offered in 2008. I purchased the 2008 key fob and then used the instructions contained in the post about fob's contained in the sticky section of the C6 Forum, General Discussion. Here is a link to the actual instructions

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6FobProgramming.pdf

I wanted the new fob to be Key 1 and not Key 3 which it would have been without erasing all keys from memory. I chose to take the "long" steps and erase all keys from memory and then re-program each one buy following the instructions. The order you insert the keys for programming is the order they will show up in the DIC. Only Key 1 and 2 have seat memory and radio memory selections.

After following the directions and waiting the required 30 minutes (three 10 minute increments) I was successful in re-learning each key in the order I wanted. I suspect you need to reprogram each key according the the long instructions.

Hint: make sure you role the windows down before starting this procedure and ensure that you do not have passive door locking turned on. I had one window open and passive door locking on. When I shut the door during the 30 minute procedure, the car locked the doors. When I reached in thru the window to unlock the car, the alarm stated beeping the horn. Since all keys had already been erased, I could not shut the alarm system off. Fortunately, I remembered that I could inset the key in the license plate key slot and that deactivated the alarm......lesson learned.

Last edited by rfkirk; 07-22-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 PM
bdeis61159
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out both FOB's were dead. I bought a brand new one for $70 from a dealer in Texas and followed the "long procedure" 30 minutes to program/. The programming went flawlessly. Thanks for all the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Programming new FOB

Quick Reply: Programming new FOB