C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 transmission slipping!! help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:30 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A4 transmission slipping!! help needed

After 2+ hours of highway driving, I exit the highway and at the stop light the light turns green I accelerate at normal speed but my rpm is at 2500-3000 as if I'm in 1,but I'm actually in D,the rpm never came down, I managed to make it home(short distance)and after putting the car in park, the car continued to move forward, it wasn't until in shut the car off and used the e- brake and blocked the wheels the car stopped.
I could move the shifter from Park to - 1 without pressing the silver square shifter button...
What gives,anyone else experience this before?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Now the car won't even start...
Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

it wont start cause its not in "park". sounds like you have a linkage issue.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 677 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
After 2+ hours of highway driving, I exit the highway and at the stop light the light turns green I accelerate at normal speed but my rpm is at 2500-3000 as if I'm in 1,but I'm actually in D,the rpm never came down, I managed to make it home(short distance)and after putting the car in park, the car continued to move forward, it wasn't until in shut the car off and used the e- brake and blocked the wheels the car stopped.
I could move the shifter from Park to - 1 without pressing the silver square shifter button...
What gives,anyone else experience this before?
Oh no!

I realize that transmission concerns can be very displeasing, and though you're seeking thoughts and opinions, I'd be happy to communicate this with the designated Customer Experience Manager (CEM) at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
it wont start cause its not in "park". sounds like you have a linkage issue.
The car is in Park.. and it won't start.
Also before I turned the car off ,when it was in PARK the car was moving forward almost drove through my garage with the car in Park..
Old 07-24-2014, 06:45 PM
flatlander_summit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
The car is in Park.. and it won't start.
Also before I turned the car off ,when it was in PARK the car was moving forward almost drove through my garage with the car in Park..
I think what is being said is that your shifter may be in "P" as well as your indicator, but your transmission is still in gear and the linkage is not set correctly. When you were in drive your car was probably in 1st gear and now that you're in "P" your car is probably in "D".
Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Sounds like the cable broke or the bushing where the cable attaches to the shifter broke. Common problem. There is nothing wrong with the transmission.

Are you a DIY fixer or will you need to take it to a mechanic/dealer?
Old 07-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Originally Posted by flatlander_summit
I think what is being said is that your shifter may be in "P" as well as your indicator, but your transmission is still in gear and the linkage is not set correctly. When you were in drive your car was probably in 1st gear and now that you're in "P" your car is probably in "D".
Exactly!!
Thanks for helping with the clarification!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RicK T
Sounds like the cable broke or the bushing where the cable attaches to the shifter broke. Common problem. There is nothing wrong with the transmission.

Are you a DIY fixer or will you need to take it to a mechanic/dealer?
Thanks !

Get notified of new replies

To A4 transmission slipping!! help needed

Quick Reply: A4 transmission slipping!! help needed