C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bpmv

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
golf015
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bpmv

I have been an avid Corvette owner since 1994 and proud of it...Now I have a true problem. Took my 08 corvette in for the message "service traction control system and come out with ABS and brake message . Dealership replaced ECBM but code ???apparently continued...Now they say it needs a BPMV to solve the problem....that is the problem..That part 89060303 has been discontinued and NONE , repeat NONE are available anywhere in the system. That is hard to believe since my car is only 6 yrs. old with 14,000 miles . I hace checked and they were telling the truth...NONE available anywhere...Any answers

My car will not pass inspection in NC
Old 07-23-2014, 07:09 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't see how it's possible for that not to be available. Just "temporarily out of stock"? Or permanently? Might have to find a used one from a salvage yard like CorvetteRecycling.

Anyway, here's a "possible" way to fix it by using it, if you're up to the task. Heed the safety warnings.

This is from the C5 Forum and these 2 guys are now here in C6 if you want to confirm with them:

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
Depending on the original failure the diagnostic procedure leads the tech through a series of tests. Depending on the result of those tests the procedure could call for the replacement of the EBCM or both the EBCM and BPMV.

With Code C1243 the system has detected the pump motor running slowly this condition can cause the relay contacts in the EBCM to burn and if it had shown up on the original diagnosis probably would have resulted in both modules being replaced at that time.

There is no way to fix the BPMV so it needs to be replaced. Replacement means removing it from the hydraulic system so when it is replaced the brakes will have to be bled and the BPMV will have to be bled using a Tech 2.

If you do nothing your car will drive just fine. You will still have the base brake system which isn't affected by ABS system failures. However, you will not have ABS or Traction Control.

Bill

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Bill is correct! There are some of us C5 drivers that put our cars through their paces on a regular basis and that will frequently cause the ABS and or Active Handling system to activate and control the brakes. That BPMV "USAGE" keeps things from malfunctioning.

Most Corvette owners are happy just to drive their cars in a way that seldom causes the BPMV motor to function. This allows components inside the brake hydraulic system to stick or act sluggishly.

In an effort to save you some cash you may want to SAFELY try this:

On a day when the roads are wet, (wet roads cause less wear and tear on the car) find a "SAFE" place where you can apply the brakes hard enough to LOCK UP the brakes. Clear ALL the DTCs and once their cleared,,,accelerate to approx 35-40 MPH and brake at full force. This will cause the tires to loose traction and the ANTI LOCK system and or the Active Handling will or should operate. If the system does NOT work normally, and the tires lock up and loose traction, ABORT. If you set a DTC and get a message, turn the ignition off and back on , reset the DTCs and repeat.

If you cant get the system to work normally after 3-4 attempts to cycle the motor,,,,your going to need to bite the bullet and replace the BPMV.

If you attempt to do the braking procedure PLEASE make sure you do it in a SAFE and LEGAL place where you will NOT damage your car.

This has helped quite a few people get their EBTCM and BPMV back in operation without having to replace the BPMV. There have been a few people who it has NOT helped.

Ill let you decide if you want to safely attempt the procedure.

Bill C

Best of luck. Please let us know what happens.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:18 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by golf015
I have been an avid Corvette owner since 1994 and proud of it...Now I have a true problem. Took my 08 corvette in for the message "service traction control system and come out with ABS and brake message . Dealership replaced ECBM but code ???apparently continued...Now they say it needs a BPMV to solve the problem....that is the problem..That part 89060303 has been discontinued and NONE , repeat NONE are available anywhere in the system. That is hard to believe since my car is only 6 yrs. old with 14,000 miles . I hace checked and they were telling the truth...NONE available anywhere...Any answers

My car will not pass inspection in NC
I am new in NC so wondering why it won't pass inspection. Everything I have seen it is a minor inspection that doesn't require much other than working lights, acceptable tire tread and windshield wipers that are in good shape. They don't check the brakes so why would they care whether the ABS works or not?

Bill
Old 07-23-2014, 09:04 PM
golf015
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC rules

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I am new in NC so wondering why it won't pass inspection. Everything I have seen it is a minor inspection that doesn't require much other than working lights, acceptable tire tread and windshield wipers that are in good shape. They don't check the brakes so why would they care whether the ABS works or not?

Bill
Depending on the area u live in and vehicles earlier than 96 most most inspections require plugging into your car computer . If any faults or codes come up they have to be addressed before the car passes....just another BS line to feed the politicians
Old 07-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

Try Dino's. They specialize in parting out Corvettes. Not sure where they're located.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am wondering if you could simulate ABS activation by using the automated bleed procedure on a Tech II. Would this be enough to "exercise" the unit to prevent failure ?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

same symptoms here...'09, abs, traction light, 13,000 miles conveniently as the warranty expired....go figure...

changed brake fluid, replaced battery, checked loose wiring....symptoms went away.

dont take what the dealer advises you at face value.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 AM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
...here's a "possible" way to fix it by using it, if you're up to the task. Heed the safety warnings.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are some of us C5 drivers that put our cars through their paces on a regular basis and that will frequently cause the ABS and or Active Handling system to activate and control the brakes. That BPMV "USAGE" keeps things from malfunctioning.

Most Corvette owners are happy just to drive their cars in a way that seldom causes the BPMV motor to function. This allows components inside the brake hydraulic system to stick or act sluggishly.

In an effort to save you some cash you may want to SAFELY try this:

On a day when the roads are wet, (wet roads cause less wear and tear on the car) find a "SAFE" place where you can apply the brakes hard enough to LOCK UP the brakes. Clear ALL the DTCs and once their cleared,,,accelerate to approx 35-40 MPH and brake at full force. This will cause the tires to loose traction and the ANTI LOCK system and or the Active Handling will or should operate. If the system does NOT work normally, and the tires lock up and loose traction, ABORT. If you set a DTC and get a message, turn the ignition off and back on , reset the DTCs and repeat.

If you cant get the system to work normally after 3-4 attempts to cycle the motor,,,,your going to need to bite the bullet and replace the BPMV.

If you attempt to do the braking procedure PLEASE make sure you do it in a SAFE and LEGAL place where you will NOT damage your car.

This has helped quite a few people get their EBTCM and BPMV back in operation without having to replace the BPMV. There have been a few people who it has NOT helped.

Ill let you decide if you want to safely attempt the procedure.

Bill C
This is really great info and advice, if true. I always wondered about the wisdom of forcing your car into ABS mode if for no other reason to check it's operation. I occasionally did this on my ABS-equipped bikes, but that was pretty easy to do with the bike up on the center stand and the engine running/tranny in gear. Out of curiosity, would the same procedure be possible on our cars with them raised on frame jacks? Would you need to do each wheel (ABS circuit) separately?

Get notified of new replies

To Bpmv

Quick Reply: Bpmv