C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rusty rotors/hubs...ugh

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:15 AM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does zinc plating the rotors stop them from rusting?any performance loss?does it cause the rotors to run hot?what is the cost? i am really interested.thanks j.k.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 AM
Rj-lo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeC6Racing
I'm assuming all of you painted your rotors before they were rusted? Not much can be done once the rust starts right?
of course they can. Sand them or take them to get cleaned. thats actually my plan for this weekend too cause I am bugged like woah at my rusty rotors
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by *Trip*
I agree....But I have determined I can buy new rotors that are already coated for about the same as powder coating my old rotors; which already have 15k miles on them....
I take mine and get them done before installing....local guy does them $25 ea. but now I have a buddy who does PC at his shop so its even better
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

When I see these posts about rust, I feel very fortunate that the design and materials used in my OEM rotors and brake system reduces the risk for such rust and for the need for aftermarket solutions. Well, at least so far, so good, and I don't drive it in the winter months which really helps.

OK, I admit that I was also looking for the opportunity to post the uber-cool looking brake and wheel combo on my 2012 (from GM literature photo).
Old 07-24-2014, 11:49 AM
IDSkier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brushed off loose rust, then brushed on black hi-temp POR. 2years later they still look great.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jack5hd
does zinc plating the rotors stop them from rusting?any performance loss?does it cause the rotors to run hot?what is the cost? i am really interested.thanks j.k.
If you consider rust as the brown colored corrosion on iron, then it won't exist underneath a properly zinc plated surface.

If you could measure a performance difference, it would most likely be a positive for plated rotors vs rusted iron. Oxidized iron won't transfer heat as easily as zinc. The zinc plating will wear off the rotors in the swept area in the first several stops. I suggest using old pads initially to avoid any contamination.

I get mine done for $6.60 per rotor in batches of 10+ to exceed the minimum charge. Find friends to get the quantity beyond the plater's minimum.

Currently well past 50K miles on my C6 plated rotors. See pics of plating here. http://hoxxoh.com/prod/drilled-rotors/

Quick Reply: rusty rotors/hubs...ugh