C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM
mjfox
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrathen
So my birthday is the end January and wife says its about time for me to get a new car!! Been driving a 08 BMW 328i sedan and miss driving a sports car (used to have an 06 Mustang GT).

So I havent driven anything yet and the Mustang isnt even out yet but what are peoples opinion on a C6 vs 2015 MustangGT? (I know this is a vette forum so I feel its going to lean that way ). Budget is going to be $30-32k'ish in cash and $10k'ish in trade (or sell BMW first), so a total of around $40k'ish. I was hoping to get a C6 GS maybe a 2012/13 if I can.... or my other option would be a 2015 Mustang GT PP. Also open to other suggestions of cars I thought about a BMW e92 M3 or CaymanS but dont want to deal with higher maintenance costs and heaven forbid anything break.

My wife really likes the Mustang idea because of the new car and warranty (she is always afraid something is going to go wrong). Through my work I also get Ford Xplan so deal would be easy pricing it out on Ford's website without the Xplan the Mustang I would like was like $41k. We dont have kids and are both fixed and wont be having kids so the extra seats for the Mustang arent an issue, it would be a shelf for stuff.

As I said I havent gotten to drive a C6 yet but my concern is coming from a BMW with Premium & Sport packages that the interior might be an issue. I have always heard how some people say the interior is not that great.

Other thing I would like thoughts on is maintenance. What would you say the average maintenance costs are on a 2010+ C6 GS run. I'm not afraid of doing things myself like oil/brakes/ect. My dad and I worked through doing a valve job on my wife's old Civic back 4 or 5 years ago, so some bigger projects I dont mind ether.

Last question. When it comes time to look for a C6 if I go that way (which if you cant tell I'm leaning) what are things should I look for? I'm used to heated seats so I heard you have to get 3LT/4LT package to get it. I also like the idea of HUD but I havent ever had a car with it. It would have to be a manual no matter what I get. What options should I look for and what should I try and avoid.

Thank you for your opinions and advice in advance.
-Phillip
get the grandsport no comparison closest to zr1 i can get
Old 08-01-2014, 03:12 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrathen The C6 GS will be better than the 2015 Mustang GT PP and The 2015 Mustang GT PP I fell will be better than the C6 base coupe based on road racing performance. I have a 07 C6 A6 and the Boss 302 will take me every time coming out of the turns and down the straight due to my 2.56 rear gear, but I do get 30MPG on the highway.

The 2015 Mustang GT PP has a new independent rear. I wonder what problems that new rear will have
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It goes without saying that you'll be test driving them both and deciding for yourself, you're just asking us for our opinions.

For the motorsports enthusiast, the benefits of a used C6 are obvious and have been mentioned above, though I don't know the details of the 2015 Mustang GT.

For a daily driver - and I drive my Z06 to work - keep in mind that getting in and out of a low car, as well as possible scraping on ramps/driveways, can get old quick.

I'm in my late 30s and no physical impediments, and I can say that those two issues are a bit of pain for a daily driver, stooping down to get in and climbing out, and often encountering steep ramps up or ramps down where you have to approach it at an angle - sometimes difficult if narrow lane or merging into traffic - have made me wonder if a car that is not so low would be more liveable, e.g. GT500 or ZL1. Yeah I know they are heavy cars. Then again, I don't track my car, so the handling and how it ranks at Laguna Seca or Nurburgring at the hands of Randy Pobst are no longer huge considerations after I've had it for a while and practical considerations begin to be felt. Just my 2cents.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 AM
bbjohn
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Had a 2012 Mustang GT. Sold it to get my '09 C6 Vert (Z51, M6). IMHO the C6 is better.
The Mustang was a great car though, just not like a Vette. Drive em both!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:01 AM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about your area, but around here Mustangs are EVERYWHERE. I see several every day. Not so with Corvettes, most days the only one I see is mine.

The stang would give you more space and the muscle car experience. With the vette you will have less space, but it's a true sports car.

By the time you're ready to buy, another model year will be available and there will be even more relatively new second hand cars available due to the people who just have to get the new generation vette. At your price point you should be able to find one that still has the factory warranty or as has been suggested, certified pre-owned.

I never had HUD before I got mine, it's worth having. I would also be sure to get one with bluetooth.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 AM
Coyote Dave
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

My DD is a 2012 Mustang GT @ about 30K miles a year. My wife and I just bought a used 2011 Vette coupe. I love them both, but the Vette is certainly more of a head turner. I'm still learning the ropes with it though.

Can't speak to the 2015, but the stock Mustang typically needs to be lowered about an inch and upgraded shocks to handle acceptably. Many resort to replacing UCA and LCA etc so you can easily invest $2K getting it "right".

IF you were to look at a Mustang you might consider a 2012-2014 Boss 302. Better brakes, factory adjustable suspension plus the motor has forged internals. If I was buying a Mustang for a toy/track that is the way I would be going, and probably go FI down the road.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
I did...at least I thought I did. and yep...its ok for you to disagree.
No problem, just voicing my difference in opinions I don't take issue with that at all and apologize if I sounded rude

I DD my '09 ZR1 (for the most part), and I couldn't be happier. Put it in touring mode, get the A/C going, turn on some tunes, and it's sublime. It's actually an excellent drive at tame speeds as well. From what I hear, the Z06 rides hardest of all the C6s, but that's just what I've heard. I'm biased, but I also am very into all kinds of cars (I'm an automotive engineer, so it's my job ). I like higher end Mustangs. They're cool, but they don't compare to Corvettes at all. Corvettes are true sports/super cars. Mustangs are muscle cars. The only thing the Mustang has on the Corvette is back seats (which means exactly nothing to me). While I do really like Mustangs, Corvettes are better cars all around.

Just my 2 cents tho
Old 08-01-2014, 09:24 AM
stp357
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C4RACER
oh you have to get a red one, all Corvettes are red donchya know!

I had a black C6 and I was not thrilled with the quality of the paint. I had a red C5 which was really nice and now a Lemans Metallic Blue which is also really nice. I am not into white Corvette's personally, but to each his own there! I agree that yellow may get old. Some of the grays and darker silvers are pretty cool, IMHO.
I don't know how that happened. I came from a Mercedes S500 Coupe to the world of Vettes. I am quite impressed with the quality of my paint. Perhaps your's wasn't properly cared for. For the OP, in most folks opinion, there is no comparison between the two cars. And since you're considering the same car and color as I have, here's a pic to help you decide. And like someone else mentioned, Mustangs are common. Vettes are not. If you want to blend in, then the Fard should your choice.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM
ILS07
Instructor

Like many have said, apples-n-oranges. the Mustang is a "pony car" and is designed for a different purpose. In a battle a general decides on a bomber or a fighter depending on the need he's trying to fill, both have advantages and disadvantages and neither can fully perform to the other's capabilities.

A friend and I for kicks one day last year counted the number of Mustangs we saw while driving across town on the way to a restaurant and it was something like 73. No, not all were GTs, but the Mustang is a pretty common car, if not one of the most common cars ever since the body change some years back. I see only a handful of C6s in a given week and even fewer Z06/GS models.

I personally like the C6 body lines, it can have the look of an Viper at certain angles and an 550 Maranello at other angles. It turns people's heads and it starts a lot of conversations. If you keep it clean, a lot of people on the road will think it's a C7 because they just don't know. I was at Sonic several weeks back getting a drink and a guy got out of his truck and walked up and asked to see the engine...he said he wasn't aware the new ones came with a 7.0L option, I told him they don't and that mine is a 2007. I think I altered his reality that day.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:04 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by Wrathen
Also open to other suggestions of cars I thought about a BMW e92 M3 or CaymanS but dont want to deal with higher maintenance costs and heaven forbid anything break.
OP:

I may take some heat for this but...

IMHO the best driver's car in your budget is the Cayman S, no contest. It is not as fast as the Vette (or the Stang) but is a budget mid-engine supercar. Incredible steering, changes direction like a hummingbird, fantastic ride-and-handling balance. It is easy to life with as well - compact, easy to park, no ground clearance worries, etc.

I am in a modded C5 since it was 1/2 the price of a Cayman S... but the Cayman is a much nice driver's car. Much better interior & overall build quality too.

see

Everyone says 'high maintenance costs' for Porsche; but that is just high dealer costs for the recommended maintenance. The cars tend to be phenomenally reliable. You can download the maintenance schedule from Porsche and easily spin your own wrenches or have a good independent shop do it. The cost of an oil change, set of brakes, ect is equivalent to a Vette or Stang.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 AM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

I went from 14 years in an Acura TL, to a Lexus RX 350 (both with premium packages) to a 2012 Base C6 manual with 1LT interior. I'll confess, I made a few interior mods to the C6 - VERY inexpensive - swapped out the console cover, shift boot, ebrake boot, and added armrests in nice leather plus added a D steering wheel. I LOVE my C6 interior.

Took about 4 weeks of driving the C6 before I sold my SUV and made the C6 my DD, 2 hrs driving a day. I couldn't love a car any more than this one. Can't help you on the mustang part of the equation - drove a new stang from a dealer lot a few years ago, and was extremely underwhelmed. I think chevy beats ford hands down in quality of interior components.

You can gather up all the opinions here and on the stang forums, but you behind the wheel of both will make your decision for you. I think it'll be an easy one.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

For many years I've had a Vette and the wife has had a 'Stang. I now have a C7 so don't spend any time in this forum any more, but I can comment on a C6 vs Mustang comparison. As others have said they are two very different cars with different pros and cons. The Mustang GT (or better yet a Shelby, which is the one currently in our garage) is a muscle car. The C6 is a sports car.

I don't really care how many of either I see since I buy cars for me, not to show off or have people I don't know look at. If you like muscle cars that are great for straight line performance, the Mustang fits. If you want a sports car that's better in the turns, the Vette fits.

The wife is currently wanting to sell her '12 Shelby GT500 SVT vert, which is advertised here in the Other Cars forum if you're interested in a real head turner. And scary fast.

And because I just have to, the C7 is so far head and shoulders above the C6 in every way there's no comparison.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Xcessiv
Instructor

I was in the same dilemma exactly 1 year ago (only difference: '13 GT, not '15).

I test drove a Brembo 5.0 and a C6 LS3 back to back. There is no comparison. The Brembo felt like a powerful family sedan, while the C6 felt like a sports car.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Leon.
Racer

The mustang is slowly evolving into a legit sports car, and the 2015 will be the best handling one yet. I wouldn't jump into C6 without at least driving a 2015 GT first.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
A Mustang is not a sports car.

A Corvette is a sports car.

Buy a Corvette.
as nice as the stang is, its the vette for me.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

The question is going to be if you are willing to exceed your budget, and if you need a backseat. A decent GS is in the low to mid 40s, which was your budget. The GS also has no backseat.

On a track, the GS will run circles around the Mustang. Even if it's as fast as an M3, the GS will outdo the M3 easily too. On the street, the Mustang will feel sportier in the drive. My GS doesn't feel sporty to drive, it's no drama at all at street speeds.

Obviously this is a choice you can't make until you actually drive them both.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:27 AM
CBRXX
Racer

The Mustangs are nice, but the C6 is just a damn sexy looking car. I love my '12 GS, but it is not my daily driver, I have a truck for that, and my commute is just 3 miles a day. I just enjoy taking the vette for drives with no destination. I would probably lean toward the Mustang if it was my daily driver. My g/f has an '02 Mustang that hopefully she will replace in a few years, perhaps with a '16.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:44 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Since you've already driven a 2006 Mustang GT. The sound of the 5.0 will be a little better and the ride might be noticeably improved. One thing I like about the Corvette with the Dual Mode Exhaust is not making a lot of noise when you just want to sneak out of the neighborhood without being noticed. The Mustang makes a nice sound that is heard at all speeds.

For a daily driver the Corvette is as comfortable as I need. The Mustang might be a little easier getting into and out of on a daily basis if that is an issue. The ride is also compliant for a daily driver. I've driven a 2007 Mustang GT in my search for a new car.

As far as quality of the interior the 2007 I test drove was close enough to the Corvette. If you were to pick one apart you'd have the same issues with both cars IMO.

If you want to track the car they can both do the job there, but the Corvette will come out ahead with the same driver at the wheel.

We'll all learn more once the test drives on the new IRS Mustang are out.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:09 PM
Pittcorvette
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You can buy a used corvette at a dealership and put an extended warranty on the car. I did this to my third vehicle, which has a hundred dollar deductible 5 years 75,000 mile warranty. The air condition broke down which the dealership fixed. The bill was under 1,900.00 but out of my pocket was 100.00 dollars.

You can't compare the mustang to the corvette very different cars. There are mustangs everywhere. Drive them both and get what you like better. My preference well Corvette.

Last edited by Pittcorvette; 08-01-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Wrathen The C6 GS will be better than the 2015 Mustang GT PP and The 2015 Mustang GT PP I fell will be better than the C6 base coupe based on road racing performance. I have a 07 C6 A6 and the Boss 302 will take me every time coming out of the turns and down the straight due to my 2.56 rear gear, but I do get 30MPG on the highway.

The 2015 Mustang GT PP has a new independent rear. I wonder what problems that new rear will have
you are road racing with an AT?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?