C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:49 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcessiv
I was in the same dilemma exactly 1 year ago (only difference: '13 GT, not '15).

I test drove a Brembo 5.0 and a C6 LS3 back to back. There is no comparison. The Brembo felt like a powerful family sedan, while the C6 felt like a sports car.
^you just said what I was gonna say. I drove my nextdoor neighbor's 2014 5.0 PP/Brembo brakes/3.73 gear (I think) and I just...was...not...impressed. It was alright but to compare to the Vette is not happening. The BOSS 302 I am sure is a righteous contender given it's internals and certainly sounds like sex with jelly on top when you have the baffles pulled. But I cannot drive a Mustang; the Lord tells me it is wrong as my hands and feet told me last time I drove one.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 AM
Freak3150
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't give you any help with the intangibles like looks and ergonomics, but performance wise the Vette will almost certainly waffle stomp the crap out of the GT. I had a '12 GT500 (550 HP/510FtLbs) and the very first time I took the Vette to the track (on a test and tune day where they don't do crap for prep) I managed to get within a tenth of my best time ever with the Shelby on a decently prepared track. Full disclosure, I can't drive.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak3150
I can't give you any help with the intangibles like looks and ergonomics, but performance wise the Vette will almost certainly waffle stomp the crap out of the GT. I had a '12 GT500 (550 HP/510FtLbs) and the very first time I took the Vette to the track (on a test and tune day where they don't do crap for prep) I managed to get within a tenth of my best time ever with the Shelby on a decently prepared track. Full disclosure, I can't drive.
I may use that phrase someday...
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 AM
MR.LT1
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Corvette is a sports car while the Stang is a muscle car.Differences everywhere.The Stang is heavier and won't corner anywhere near as well as the Vette.It won't be as fast. period. Even if you get the 436 HP 2015 Stang.Different cars,different feel.You need to drive both and see which you like better.
Yes and no...As I totally agree that they are totally different cars. My 2013 Mustang GT with Steeda Suspension upgrades, old air intake, and 93 Octane Tune Handles like it is on rails. I get an average of 22-26 combined city / hwy mileage. Easy to get in and out of. Reliability has been great. I too have had no issues with the MT-82 Tranny. My total investment: I purchased new in February 2013 a white GT Premium, leather seats, Brembo brakes with 3:73 rear. 32k + tax. Total in Steeda upgrades, wheels and tires approx:7k parts and labor but what a different beast it is and I never see another like mine in the street. Corvettes I love them. I have always been a big C4 body style lover. I owned a 93 Ruby back in the day. What didn't impress me was the overall quality of the car. I am sure the C6's are much different and I would love an Arctic white C7. I guess in the end its in your heart what you really want. Either way enjoy whatever you get as I am sure you will be happy.

My Mustang's transformation:
When I first purchased her:

Picking her up

Steeda Cold air intake and tune

MBRP cat back

Steeda lower, upper control arms, springs, Heavy duty strut mounts, and panhard bar

Lowered on stock wheels

Added Steeda front and rear sway bars with relocation brackets and SVE wheels with 285/19's in the back 255's in the front

My daily driver. Now at 30k miles

Last edited by MR.LT1; 08-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:54 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MR.LT1
Yes and no...As I totally agree that they are totally different cars. My 2013 Mustang GT with Steeda Suspension upgrades, old air intake, and 93 Octane Tune Handles like it is on rails. I get an average of 22-26 combined city / hwy mileage. Easy to get in and out of. Reliability has benn great. I too have had no issues with the MT-82 Tranny. My total investment: I purchased new in February 2013 a white GT Premium, leather seats, Brembo brakes with 3:73 rear. 32k + tax. Total in Steeda upgrades, wheels and tires approx:7k parts and labor but what a different beast it is and I never see another like mine in the street. Corvettes I love them. I have always been a big C4 body style lover. I owned a 93 Ruby back in the day. What didn't impress me was the overall quality of the car. I am sure the C6's are much different and I would love an Arctic white C7. I guess in the end its in your heart what you really want. Either way enjoy whatever you get as I am sure you will be happy.

My Mustang's transformation:
When I first purchased her:

Picking her up

Steeda Cold air intake and tune

MBRP cat back

Steeda lower, upper control arms, springs, Heavy duty strut mounts, and panhard bar

Lowered on stock wheels

Added Steeda front and rear sway bars with relocation brackets and SVE wheels with 285/19's in the back 255's in the front

My daily driver. Now at 30k miles
nice..
Old 10-01-2014, 06:30 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by C4RACER
oh you have to get a red one, all Corvettes are red donchya know!

I had a black C6 and I was not thrilled with the quality of the paint. I had a red C5 which was really nice and now a Lemans Metallic Blue which is also really nice. I am not into white Corvette's personally, but to each his own there! I agree that yellow may get old. Some of the grays and darker silvers are pretty cool, IMHO.
Not an 08+ obviously but DSOM is an awsome looking color! (Totally biased opinion)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Default c6

i vote for the c6. I bought a 2007 with 14151 miles on it in August. Because of the miles i was able to get the GMPP warranty for 24000 more miles and 36 months on it. So i dont see where the mustang has any better deal since u only get 3 years 36000 miles on a braned new 1.
The 07 i bought was a coupe lt3 a6 with all the options on it. Paid 32000 for it and love it
Attached Images   
Old 10-01-2014, 07:19 PM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I myself thought about a '15 mustang,went out to the dealer
to look at one last weekend but not in yet,the ones I looked at on youtube
are awesome but its not a Corvette and talked myself out of it,
for now anyway.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

my 5.0 that I built up and sold after a year of ownership -

very nice daily driver. my largest problem was with the live axle being super unpredictable if you hit unlevel surfaces while driving hard.. they finally went IRS though for the 15. a LOT of my underbody had rusted out from a year of driving a car, mind you, I live in Seattle and it didn't go through any salt or snow .. it was just cheap uncoated parts with a lot of surface rust. I really didn't care for the transmission either.

when I was considering my c6 vette I waited for news on the 15 GT - when I found out it gained weight and didn't reduce size at all, I knew it wasn't sports-car enough for me to want it. I appreciate the forged internals they gave it, maybe the 8th cylinder failures will go away... but at the end of the day it's just not a sports car driving experience. if you want a larger vehicle with more utility and a comfier ride, go mustang. if you want a real sports car, go vette. from someone whose been there... GO VETTE.

now with the bias out of the way... go ask on the mustang forums and see what kind of responses you get. then compare the two, and ask yourself, why am I asking the internet how to spend my money? .. ultimately they are both good cars. drive both, see what you prefer!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 PM
harrykerry
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Poster

Originally Posted by Bruze
I agree, but I don't have a clue how to take a picture off my PC and turn it into a wall poster. I'm sure somebody does.

I guess you'd need the mother of all printers.

Email it to Kinkos!
Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 AM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

I had that thought, but then I went to "no". As the 2015 Mustang ages it will be yet another Mustang...like all the old beaters you see on the road. Corvettes stay classic.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on what you Really want. I dislike any late model Mustang. I won't buy Anything with a OHC engine, to complex and expensive to work on. With that said, wife owned a '85 LX 5.0 for a few years. It turned out to be a pretty good car.

I love C6 Vettes and maintenance is not much. These cars are very durable. There are people with 200,000-300,000 miles on them and usually with very few issues in that time. The design of the C6 is timeless, GM nailed it. I don't Ever intend to sell my '09, i like everything about it.
I think you would be Very Happy with a C6.

What we have purchased recently is a 2014 Camaro SS. Very impressed with the car. The performance, braking and handling is excellent. It feels nearly like a Vette with a steel body. We love it.

Last edited by Rebel 1; 10-14-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:04 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The 15 Mustang has some new features/tech in there like Launch control and different setting for street/track/wet/snow.3 or 4 different engines including a turbo 4 banger that makes 310 hp and almost as much torque which is more then it's V6 makes. The GT 5.0 is 425 HP (or is it 435? I forgot). They also upgraded the suspension and so on.Completely new car from prior generations.There will also be a limited run of "50th anniversary" 'Stangs. 1964 to be exact.They improved handling and added a whole bunch of stuff that Vettes have had for a while now. Having said all that,the 'Vette and 'Stang are two very different cars when you remove the similar HP numbers. You should drive both,but the '15 Stang won't be out for a little while,at least around here anyway. It will never be a Corvette no matter what they do but it is and always has been a muscle car. Technology has certainly improved it's output but still,it has a back seat,is way heavier then any Vette which you will feel no matter which version you choose. Weight is only overcome with gobs of HP,and 425-435 for that car isn't enough I believe.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
The 15 Mustang has some new features/tech in there like Launch control and different setting for street/track/wet/snow.3 or 4 different engines including a turbo 4 banger that makes 310 hp and almost as much torque which is more then it's V6 makes. The GT 5.0 is 425 HP (or is it 435? I forgot). They also upgraded the suspension and so on.Completely new car from prior generations.There will also be a limited run of "50th anniversary" 'Stangs. 1964 to be exact.They improved handling and added a whole bunch of stuff that Vettes have had for a while now. Having said all that,the 'Vette and 'Stang are two very different cars when you remove the similar HP numbers. You should drive both,but the '15 Stang won't be out for a little while,at least around here anyway. It will never be a Corvette no matter what they do but it is and always has been a muscle car. Technology has certainly improved it's output but still,it has a back seat,is way heavier then any Vette which you will feel no matter which version you choose. Weight is only overcome with gobs of HP,and 425-435 for that car isn't enough I believe.
Interesting points...I've looked at the 2015 Mustang 5.0 GT Premium, 435 hp, with 6 speed box.

It's interior, dash, gauges, etc., are far superior imo, to the Charger, or Camaro.
It's got to be very quick, fairly nimble, and fun to drive.
I'd really like one, but unfortunately I cannot afford both, so I'd have to sell my 'vette, and that's not going to happen.

There's another aspect to consider.
It's that narcissistic tendency in all of us when our 'vettes turn heads.
I don't care, how fast, well appointed, or tasteful a 2015 Mustang can be, it's still a Mustang.
It tends to blend in with millions of other Mustangs on the road, and no one but other Mustang owners give it a second look.
Personally, I'd find it difficult to give up all the unsolicited attention my 'vette generates.

Last edited by Hameister; 10-14-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Racerrich11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on my third Vette and wouldn't even consider anything else.. Just my opinion!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Last edited by vara411; 10-14-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I've owned them all: ZL1, GT500 and three C6's..........My GS is a keeper!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
furiousox
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

the 5.0 coyote in the pre-2015 is a great motor but just lacked the low end punch I look for in a domestic V8, otherwise i was offered a screaming deal on one

the 2015 gained more weight, and even though i love how it looks, i don't think it'll be a sportier driving experience than my c6. and it shouldn't be as it's much bigger and has backseats.

One thing that's a certainty for me though, the Stangs sound so much better. I've followed catback only 5.0s and Boss 302s in the canyons and holy crap they sounded INSANE.

Flamesuit on.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by furiousox
the 5.0 coyote in the pre-2015 is a great motor but just lacked the low end punch I look for in a domestic V8, otherwise i was offered a screaming deal on one

the 2015 gained more weight, and even though i love how it looks, i don't think it'll be a sportier driving experience than my c6. and it shouldn't be as it's much bigger and has backseats.

One thing that's a certainty for me though, the Stangs sound so much better. I've followed catback only 5.0s and Boss 302s in the canyons and holy crap they sounded INSANE.

Flamesuit on.
You're wrong!
Old 08-28-2016, 06:11 PM
TSquare2112
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I was in the exact same situation a month ago.

I was in this situation about a month ago. Long story short, the wife stole my new 2015 ram and gave me her 2014 Ford explorer (paid for). My local Ford dealer had a 2013 corvette grand sport lt3 with 45,000 miles. It was in excellent shape. I've always wanted a Vette. I looked it over, and looked at the 2016 mustang GT performance package. I sat in the Vette, and looked over what it had to offer, and did the same with the stang. I decided on the mustang. I like tech, it means a lot to me. I also like manual transmission for a sports / muscle car. The Vette was auto and stang manual. The mustang interior is nice, itbwas more comfortable, and just felt better to me. The Vette was beautiful, and I felt good in it, just thought the mustang was a better purchase for me personally. The premium model, performance package, shaker audio, and navigation was within $1000 of the Vette, and I got the factory 3 yr 36 bumper to bumper. Something I wouldn't have had with the Vette. Both are within 5 HP of each other as they sat. The mustang was the right one for me. A month later, I regret not driving the Vette, just for the experience, but I am still happy with my mustang.

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette or 2015 Mustang GT?