Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Old 08-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
airspeed
CF Member

Default car wax

Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.
airspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
BWF07
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

/jack.tipton.16

Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.
I happen to use Adams. I have been using it since 2006 and I have not changed.
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
P0234
CF Senior Member

I've got an unopened bottle with your name on it if you pay for shipping. PM me.
P0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
duckvett
CF Senior Member

Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.
duckvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Firefighter84

It all depends on what your looking for in a wax.

All the stuff I use now is pretty much from Griot's. Expensive and some stuff works well others aren't so good, I don't care for their soap (Gold class is cheaper and comes in large jugs for the same price). If you do decide to use the Best of Show wax remember a little goes a long way. I've always applied too much and removing it is a PITA. Using the small amount and the griot's buffer makes removal easy now. I learned you could also spray some speed shine to help remove the residue as well.

Everyone has their favorites and I'm just starting to learn about keeping the paint looking nice. You have to start somewhere and learn as you go. Look under "Car Care" under General Topics for advice and help as well.
Firefighter84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
2CRUZIN
CF Senior Member

I have used it but I like the Meguires NXT. Seems easier to remove and brighter shine. But as others have said it's very subjective.
2CRUZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....

Don-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
rsparks64
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
Griot's "Best of Show" needs to be applied very, very, VERY thin! Anything thicker than that will be a bear to remove. I cannot speak about it's durability or how long it lasts, as I usually wax the Corvette 4-5 times a year. I do like the results from Best of Show, but it seems a little more subdued (on Cyber Gray) than the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 that I prefer.

What duckvett said, except with perhaps one more "very" as to how thin the coat should be.
rsparks64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
RocketDawg
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Send a message via Yahoo to RocketDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don-Vette View Post
I have seen the Griots at Advance auto and through their catalogs but haven't tried it yet. I use Meguires NXT 2.0 and Mothers synthetic and Surf City carnauba paste wax. You apply these to the whole car first and they come off very easily and you can get them at your local auto parts store and wallyworld! There is no denying the results! ....
You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.
RocketDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You use all three of those during the same waxing, or does it mean you've used them all at different times? Just wondering if there is a sequence you use. I think some people put Carnauba wax on top of other products.
I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.
saplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
Don-Vette
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saplumr View Post
I'm sure he doesn't use them at the same time. That would be redundant.
Yeah that would be silly. I rotate whatever I'm in the mood to use.
Don-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Nomomoney
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
Wax is really subjective. Everyone has their favorite. I have never used the wax you are referring to, but I understand it is a good quality product. You will get members that swear by different brands that will range from the expensive products that are available through specific dealers or by online purchase on down to the simple wax that you can get at Walmart or any of the auto parts stores.
It all comes down to the following. Does the product do what you want and is to process of applying and removing what you want. Sometimes you need to try different brands until you find what you are looking for.
+1 - Adam's is what I use. Great product.
Nomomoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
ProfessorDeath
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Michael D. Bircher
Send a message via AIM to ProfessorDeath

On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.
ProfessorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #14
saplumr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath View Post
On my previous black car, I tried all kinds of waxes and products (Zaino, Adams, Turtle Wax Ice, NXT, you name it). To me, they all pretty much ended up looking the same, so I stick with Meguiars products. They look great, apply well, remove well, and they're very cost effective.

I do not attend car shows other than as an observer, so if miniscule details are important, then my opinion can be considered useless, since I don't care about details I wouldn't notice without a magnifying glass, but to me, all car waxes pretty much look the same.
If you're really into details, certain products can make a huge difference in Black. Unfortunately the difference makers aren't cheap.
saplumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
pokerpro
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post

Hey Jack, so now I know your secret you use Adams products. Guess I'll have to use them too so I can keep up with you.
pokerpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

i use what i used on my 67 vette back in 71. liquid glass. there are so many good waxes and polishes out there that will leave you confused as to what is the best.
billyboy47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
truckplay
CF Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to truckplay

it is a PITA to use, it shines like crazy but does not last. I use mine if I am willing to spend hours on the car. there are many other options that are easier and faster to use. you can't go wrong with most of the shelf products, among the easiest is Rejex (although it is not a wax) I use the H... out of it.

Tom
truckplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
twinarrow99
CF Senior Member

Agree with all comments regarding Griots Best of Show. No matter how thin applied, unless you use detailing spray it is ridiculous to remove. They really need to change their formula. I recently used some Mothers Gold Carnuba for grins, was a breeze to apply and remove.
twinarrow99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #19
CF Senior Member

I use the Best of Show wax and apply it with the Griots machine. I have never had a problem removing it. It is and awesome wax, very durable and makes washing a breeze. I highly recommend it.
128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #20
Killrwheels@Autogeek
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by airspeed View Post
Has any one heard of this car wax (Griot's) or used it? if so what were
your results. it is advertise as best of show wax, thanks for any info.
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-car-care.html

One of many great lines we carry for our forum friends. Visit our car care forum or the car care area of this forum for help as needed. We are also available by phone.

Use coupon code CORVETTEFORUM for 10% off most car care products at www.autogeek.net (some exclusions apply)
FORUM VENDOR FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS !
Killrwheels@Autogeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page car wax