C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hatch opening when walking by

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Seth05
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch opening when walking by

I have a 2005 purchased it June of last year. Last year I can remember a couple times I would park get out shut the door, about the same time the hatch would pop open. I would shut it and go on my way thinking maybe I somehow pushed the button on the fob in my pocket. Now this year it is happening with a greater frequency. Went out to dinner with a friend the other day parked got out started walking away from the car and the hatch pops open. I turn around and shut it, immediately it opens again, shut it, it opens did this about 5 times. (of course he's a Ford guy so I took some jokes about his Ford never has that issue)
Noticed that it has something to do with the rear of the car and the key fob, if I hand the fob to someone else or get it farther than about 5 feet from the rear of car when I shut the hatch it won't open again, if i keep it in my pocket it continues to want to open after I shut it again.

Just replaced the battery in the fob in April.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Assuming the fob button isn't sticking and the fob's internal contacts for the trunk switch are clean...............

I'd start by cleaning the push-button switch in the bumper, just above the license plate.

Very easy DIY. Check the Sticky/FAQ Section for details on the procedure.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:32 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Yea, sounds like your button on the bumper is probably stuck. It's activated by proximity, so it probably activates the circuit whenever it thinks you're close and then reads the switch as depressed.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have 05, and while back it did the same thing with my hatch, then it stopped has fast has it started, never found out why it did it. That was over two years ago.

I thought it was remote, but don't think so, cause I never used the second remote or replaced the batteries in the remote. What I remember doing cause my Iphone in the same pocket with the remotes some times mess up opening the doors or starting the car.

When you find out, let me know incase it comes back.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 08-03-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by LbulletM
Yea, sounds like your button on the bumper is probably stuck. It's activated by proximity, so it probably activates the circuit whenever it thinks you're close and then reads the switch as depressed.
You get half credit on this one. It does sound like a stuck bumper hatch button but nothing on this car is "activated by proximity". Actions are ALLOWED by a FOB in proximity. The pushing of a button somewhere on the car or on the FOB must always be the first thing that happens. You can walk up to the car, pound the FOB on the car, rub the FOB over every surface, and place the FOB anywhere on or in the car and the car will never know it is there until a button has been pushed initiating a search for a FOB.

There are 3 ways to open the hatch. First is the FOB button which the OP says was not pushed and is not stuck or the FOB battery would be dead in hours. Second is the button on the dash. That one isn't the issue because the hatch opens while walking away while that button opens the hatch instantly. That leaves the bumper button which initiates a challenge signal from the rear transmit antenna (one of 4 in the car) that will be heard by any FOB within a few feet of the rear and responded to by that FOB. It sounds like an intermittent in the rear bumper button is initiating challenge signals continously. As the OP walks toward the back of the car the FOB finally gets close enough to the rear antenna to hear it and respond and the correct response allows the hatch to be signaled to open.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:11 AM
velocity c6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing kinda. When I used the remote to unlock the car. Figured out when the running lights went off, hatch would open. Pull far right passenger tail light. Look down and there will be a big connector for all the lights in the back. Pull it up off the keeper. Unplug it. Clean it out and put some dielectric grease in it. Had water in mine and this solved it for me. Good luck!!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:00 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
You get half credit on this one. It does sound like a stuck bumper hatch button but nothing on this car is "activated by proximity". Actions are ALLOWED by a FOB in proximity.
Haha fair enough. I'll take the half credit though! Would still solve the problem if it is what we think it is.

Learned something new!
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might check to see that the latch is catching. Maybe when you shut the door you are creating increased pressure inside which is then popping the latch free. Doubtful, but just a thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Hatch opening when walking by

Quick Reply: Hatch opening when walking by