C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Steering Column Lock Question

Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 AM
tjs121
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Steering Column Lock Question

Hey everyone,

Just picked up a 2005 6sp two weekends ago and damn, this is a fantastic car...when it works. It's been disabled almost half of that time due to the dreaded "service column lock" error. It worked about the first week I had it with no issues until it stranded me in a parking lot with no warning.

Pretty standard symptoms:
-Service column lock appears on DIC, car won't start and wheel is still locked
-Unhooking battery does not fix this
-Parked battery level reads 12.0v on the DIC
-When i can get the engine on, car reads 14.0-14.4v on DIC

I bought the column lock eliminator from Corvettes of Houston but I cant install it if the wheel is locked like it is not. My questions are:

1. If somehow I get the car started, can I perform the install with the engine on? The times when I've gottten the car running, after I drive it, the column lock issue reappears when I turn it off and then try starting it immediately again.

2. I think I've read every single thread out there on this issue but are there any tricks to getting the car started? My issue seems to be heavily related to ambient temperature for example, it rained last night and the car started in the morning before the sun came up.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM
COMMANDER2OOO
Melting Slicks

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

if thats the only way u can get it to stay unlocked yea do the install with the car running.
once u install the eliminator the steering column doesnt lock anymore but it has to be unlocked before install otherwise it wont work. goodluck
Old 08-08-2014, 12:46 PM
tjs121
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems there was never a definivitve answer. Is this problem related to battery voltage like the C5's or is the C6 problem independent of this?

Get notified of new replies

To Another Steering Column Lock Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Steering Column Lock Question