C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a missing key Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 04:36 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing a missing key Fob question

2 years ago we traded our VR '05 for an Acura TL and the garage became unbearably dull. We just bought a beautiful VR '08 w/4430 miles. Perfect except the owner damaged the #1 key fob during a battery replacement. I have the #1 fob but it is inoperative...but the emergency key is in my possession and the half of the case with the #1 stamp may be OK.

So my question is: Can I purchase a new #1 fob, or a used #1 or #2 fob, and program it myself to be a replacement #1 fob. Have read something about putting the fob into the glove box slot, etc etc. Of course I can use the emergency key from the original fob.

Do I understand this correctly??

Thanks guys...it's great to be back!!

Bob
Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes you can, you will need to do the long programing ... read here http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...hat-to-do.html
Old 08-09-2014, 05:38 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

Thanks, but in the instructions I don't see anyplace where I designate the new or used replacement fob as my new #1 fob?? Plus I don't understand the bold red reference to a UNLOCK button...where is the UNLOCK button??

Thanks, Bob
Old 08-09-2014, 05:46 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NoisC6
Thanks, but in the instructions I don't see anyplace where I designate the new or used replacement fob as my new #1 fob?? Plus I don't understand the bold red reference to a UNLOCK button...where is the UNLOCK button??

Thanks, Bob

When you do the long programing the first fob you program will be #1 and continue put to 4 fobs

The unlock button is on the fob

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6FobProgramming.pdf

SEE NOTE #9 and NOTE #12

Good luck
Old 08-09-2014, 06:45 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

Oh...THAT unlock button....sheesh sometimes I amaze myself with being so stoopid!!!

Thanks... Bob
Old 08-09-2014, 06:48 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

No worries... we all have done things that ..... well seemed less than smart after we learned the answer
Old 08-16-2014, 04:13 PM
NoisC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by GL10DR
No worries... we all have done things that ..... well seemed less than smart after we learned the answer
Having problems with programming. Bought car with only the #2 FOB...the #1 FOB had been destroyed by botched battery replacement. So I bought a new FOB to be programmed as #1.

Used the procedure recommended above and got the new FOB programmed as #1. It works as it should. I had hoped I wouldn't have to do anything to #2, but during the process it must have been erased. So now when I turn the key 5 times it always says "Off/Accessory - To Learn". I want it to say "Ready for FOB #2.

So do I need to continue to go thru steps 10, 11 and 12 until it says ready for FOB #1?? If yes, can I skip #1 (it works OK) and go to #2??
And while going from Steps 10,11 and 12 do I need to wait the full 10 minutes for each, or just push bottom half of start button to cycle thru until getting to #12??

Basic question is: FOB #1 works as intended...How do I program #2??

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by NoisC6; 08-16-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Having problems with programming. Bought car with only the #2 FOB...the #1 FOB was destroyed by botched battery replacement. So I bought a new FOB to be programmed as #1.

Used the procedure recommended above and got the new FOB programmed as #1. It works as it should. I had hoped I wouldn't have to do anything to #2, but during the process it must have been erased. So now when I turn the key 5 times it always says "Off/Accessory - To Learn". I want it to say "Ready for FOB #2.

So do I need to continue to go thru steps 10, 11 and 12 until it says ready for FOB #1?? If yes, can I skip #1 (it works OK) and go to #2??
And while going from Steps 10,11 and 12 do I need to wait the full 10 minutes for each, or just push bottom half of start button to cycle thru until getting to #12??

Thanks, Bob
Doing the long procedure erases all fobs and you should have programmed 2 at the same time as 1.
I think doing the short method you may be able to add 2 through 4, but it may be the long method to start over for 1 and 2. As the short method may only be to add 3$4....
Old 08-16-2014, 07:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Having problems with programming. Bought car with only the #2 FOB...the #1 FOB had been destroyed by botched battery replacement. So I bought a new FOB to be programmed as #1.

Thanks, Bob
Reading these instructions should give you an idea of where you are:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

Update: Just went to garage with cclive's instructions to begin the process again...thinking I was going to end up with the long process. Thought I would again test the keyfob slot before beginning reprogramming so took the newly programmed fob #1 along. Trunk open, windows down, glove box open...turned key 5 times, and installed Fob #1 into slot...DIC said "Ready for Fob #2"...which is exactly where I was trying to get to. So I took Fob #1 into the house and returned with #2. Inserted #2 and DIC changed to say "Ready for Fob #3". Removed #2, pressed it's unlock button, and pushed bottom half of the start button. Result: Key Fob #2 is now programed as well as #1. So thanks guys...appreciate all the help.

Anything else I need to do??

Bob
Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 PM
cclive
Team Owner

This is interesting because I have never encountered a situation where someone has programmed only one fob. So when the key is turned five times, the system immediately goes to READY FOR FOB 2. Glad to hear it all worked out. Did you have FOB 1 in the car when you turned the key five times?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM
NoisC6
Instructor

Originally Posted by cclive
This is interesting because I have never encountered a situation where someone has programmed only one fob. So when the key is turned five times, the system immediately goes to READY FOR FOB 2. Glad to hear it all worked out. Did you have FOB 1 in the car when you turned the key five times?

Fob #1 was not actually in the car when I turned the key 5 times...but it was only 3' away. After turning the key 5 times I inserted #1 into the glovebox key slot thinking I was checking to be sure the key slot and Fob #1 key were both OK. Was surprised when DIC said "Ready for Fob #2".

Seems like that I had been stuck in some sort of loop...where I could never get the system to go to "Ready for Fob #2" in the previous attempts. I eventually quit and left the car alone for about a day and then the above happened.

Posted this info for your benefit...

Bob

Edit: Actually I think at the beginning of the previous attempts I saw "Ready for Fob #2" after programming #1, but I didn't realize what that meant...and think I pushed the lower half of the Start switch to "complete" the programming of #1 Fob. Remember I had a Fob #2 that worked fine before I started the whole reprogramming process...so didn't think I needed to reprogram #2. So it seems it's been stuck in the "Off/Accessory - To Learn" loops since, but stopping the process for some length of time got me back to the "Ready for Fob #2" point.

And another bit of info...once I did insert Fob #2 into the keyslot the DIC almost immediately said "Ready for Fob #3"...which is when I removed #2, pushed it's unlock key and then pushed the lower half of the Start switch which caused the DIC close down in what looked like a normal manner.

Does this make sense??

Last edited by NoisC6; 08-18-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
cclive
Team Owner

It all makes sense. My question was only because I have never encountered a situation where only the #1 fob was programmed and then programming was stopped. You're in good shape now!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM
NoisC6
Instructor

It all makes sense. My question was only because I have never encountered a situation where only the #1 fob was programmed and then programming was stopped. You're in good shape now!

CCLIVE, I posted this info for your information...you clearly help a lot of people here wrt FOB stuff and I thought you might like to know.

I did indeed stop after programming #1 because I already had a programmed #2. Even though the instructions said so, I did not realize that the programming of #2 was erased while doing the long program. I had kept the #2 Fob far away so thought it was unaffected...now I understand that it is the car's system that is erased...that could have been clearer IMO. Or it could be that everyone but me understands that clearly...LOL

Thanks again, Bob
Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 PM
cclive
Team Owner

No problem Bob, I just wasn't clear if you had done the long or the short procedure. I didn't know what would happen if one stopped the programming after #1 as I had never heard of anyone doing it. Glad it is all working!

PS...if you want an extra fob or two, you can get extra fobs and use the short procedure to add them as #3 and #4...4 is the max.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:53 AM
NoisC6
Instructor

No problem Bob, I just wasn't clear if you had done the long or the short procedure. I didn't know what would happen if one stopped the programming after #1 as I had never heard of anyone doing it. Glad it is all working!

PS...if you want an extra fob or two, you can get extra fobs and use the short procedure to add them as #3 and #4...4 is the max.
OK thanks...good to know. Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a missing key Fob question

Quick Reply: Replacing a missing key Fob question