C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another ‘My Car Wouldn’t Start’ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Another ‘My Car Wouldn’t Start’ Thread

How many things can go wrong all at once?

I took my ’06 vert for state inspection on Friday, brought it home, parked in the garage.

Saturday evening I put the top down and went out to dinner with the Mrs. When we got to the restaurant, I put the manual top up and went in to eat. Two hours later, we came out and the headlights were on and so was the radio! I always leave the headlight control in AUTO so I never think about turning them off. I just get out of the car, the doors lock and the lights go out. Apparently the inspection station left the control in the ON position. Even with that, I assume the lights time out and shut off automatically to save the battery. That must be the case since they didn’t stay on in the garage Friday night.

But after I put the top up, I would have entered ACCESSORY mode to put the windows up. I must have left the car in ACCESSORY (User Error!). I guess the headlights don’t time out in ACCESSORY mode.

I had dashboard lights but the car wouldn't start – called AAA and they came in about ½ hour. He hooked up a booster but it wouldn't start. He tried repositioning the cables a few times but it still wouldn't start; just a relay click! Running out of options, I tried putting the FOB into the glove compartment slot. With that, the car started right up. There was never an indication of a missing FOB.

I drove about 10 miles home and put a Battery Tender on it overnight. Sunday morning the Battery Tender showed a green light = fully charged but the FOB wouldn’t unlock the door. The four year old FOB battery still read 3 Volts but I replaced it anyway. With that, the doors opened and now all is well.

What are the odds that three issues would all hit me at the same time?
  • Headlight switch left on
  • Car left in ACCESSORY
  • Dead FOB battery

In spite of all those issues, we were only inconvenienced by the ½ hour wait for AAA. Not too bad.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:41 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'D SAY IN THIS CASE THE ODDS ARE 100%! Glad all is fixed.

Quick Reply: Another ‘My Car Wouldn’t Start’ Thread