C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low beam headlight recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 05:28 AM
camgci
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low beam headlight recall

Has anyone who has experienced their low beam headlights turning off, noticed if their dash lights also turned off at the same time? My wife said the other night when she was out, the dash lights turned off a couple of times and then came back on. She didn't notice if the headlights turned off or not.
Any word when dealers will get the repair kit for the headlight recall? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:47 AM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't had it happen to me. I did get the recall letter but waiting for parts.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:52 AM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I believe they operate separately. I've seen my dash lights come on when my headlights are off. Have my recall letter as well. Waiting on another notice when parts/plans are in place.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gman in NC
I believe they operate separately. ...
Totally independent. Is she certain it wasn't just getting dark which will cause the dash illumination to dim to the night level?

Haven't gotten the letter yet but I don't really care since there are so few cars that actually have the issue (0.2% or a couple out of every 1,000) and even those that do still have plenty of light choices even without low beams. In the extremely unlikely event that my lights go out I will turn on the fog lights or switch to high beam and then worry about a fix.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
myfunz
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

GM Customer Service sent me this link to check your VIN https://recalls.gm.com/#/

I do have a recall on my '05 the low beam issue but no remedy yet.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:07 PM
Jimmy52
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My VIN also has the recall. Contacted local Chevrolet dealer. They have no idea what is going to be done or who is paying the repair cost. Nothing has been finalized. All they say is wait for a letter. Doesn't sound very promising
Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 AM
TFFTBR
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since letters have gone out (still waiting on mine) and there is a Service Campaign number for it, it's obvious that GM is taking action. Yah, mine falls under it too. Unfortunately, after the Cobalt/HHR debacle, GM has to seriously cover their hind ends. Keep in mind, every one of these "Campaigns" has to be identified, a fix designed and verified, the bulletin written AND go through the legal department. If any changes have to be made, they're made then have to go through the process all over again.

There are several bulletins that have the information available, but also says "remedy pending" which means they've probably already made it through the legal process and now have to produce the parts, test them to be sure it's a good fix, then put them into production for several thousand vehicles before everything is released. The bulletin number for the Corvette headlights doesn't even come up yet which shows us where they are in that process. It's gonna take time, but at least the issue is being addressed. Covering your rear is big business and every aspect has to be reviewed before they can make a final decision.

I may be wrong on this part, but IIRC, since most of these cars were built under the "old GM" that went bankrupt, the current GM isn't technically responsible. At least they're doing the right thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Low beam headlight recall

Quick Reply: Low beam headlight recall