C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap out factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM
msingl1060
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap out factory radio

I want to upgrade my factory unit which has GPS, one disc, satelite radio but no onstar. This is the Bose system is there a problem doing this. What systems are available and compatible with Bose.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:00 PM
DaveN355
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Do a search for Double D Mods. They have a bunch of radio kits for our Vettes. I plan on getting a Kenwood kit from them in the near future. Had a C5 owner in our local club recently installed a Kenwood kit from them and he said everything went in pretty straight forward.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Jefff1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just completed a stereo overhaul on my '11 GS...Installed a Pioneer double din unit...disconnected and took out the center speaker on the dash...replaced the door tweeters and the speakers behind the seats with Focal speakers running off a 4channel amp...I kept the Bose base units in the doors running off the Bose amp...The Pioneer head unit controls the Bose and Memphis Audio amps...Pioneer also has a number of different choices for equalization and you can create custom ones too..there is a wide range of adjustment...The new rear camera is integrated into it too...Sound is quite a noticeable upgrade
Old 08-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If you have the HUD and want your turn arrows/distance displayed on it, then the only choice is the factory Nav.

If you don't care, then there are lots of choices.

I do care, but that's just me.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just ordered the Kenwood 890HD and all the accessories to go with it for my '13 GS. Could not stand the factory nav one more minute and the built in Garmin will be a welcome relief. Not my first time around the block with these Kenwood units thou as I have had them in other cars and they are great. I never used my HUD from day one so no matter there.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 AM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

For the amount of time I actually use the unit, the factory NAV is fine. If there's an issue, my cell phone WAZE app takes over.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by red2012
I just ordered the Kenwood 890HD and all the accessories to go with it for my '13 GS. Could not stand the factory nav one more minute and the built in Garmin will be a welcome relief. Not my first time around the block with these Kenwood units thou as I have had them in other cars and they are great. I never used my HUD from day one so no matter there.
I also installed this unit in my 08 Vert. I didn't dislike the factory nav but the Garmin is better. I also wanted Bluetooth, which the Kenwood provides along with HD radio, satellite and ipod integration. I run an ipod and a memory stick and can switch between the two with a touch on the screen.

The screen doesn't show fingerprints much, either. I also added a front mounted camera along with the rear and now I never scrape on curbs.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:32 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jimb100
I also installed this unit in my 08 Vert. I didn't dislike the factory nav but the Garmin is better. I also wanted Bluetooth, which the Kenwood provides along with HD radio, satellite and ipod integration. I run an ipod and a memory stick and can switch between the two with a touch on the screen.

The screen doesn't show fingerprints much, either. I also added a front mounted camera along with the rear and now I never scrape on curbs.
Great to hear some one else is using the 890. How does it sound compared to stock? I have the Bose and I have no complaints with that as all my music on my I pod touch is all re mixed and re equalized before it goes on my i pod and it sounds great.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that if you do a lot of highway driving, any upgrade may be a waste. I just took a 800 mile trip on mostly highway and the inside of the car is so noisy, an old transistor radio would have sufficed. I have the original GY run flats, which contribute to the noise. I love good quality sound as much as anyone, but I would never put an expensive upgrade in this car. Just my opinion. And for what its worth, the Navi works fine, if you take the time to learn it. No Playstation-like graphics, but very functional and accurate for my purposes. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by LooseScrew
Keep in mind that if you do a lot of highway driving, any upgrade may be a waste. I just took a 800 mile trip on mostly highway and the inside of the car is so noisy, an old transistor radio would have sufficed. I have the original GY run flats, which contribute to the noise. I love good quality sound as much as anyone, but I would never put an expensive upgrade in this car. Just my opinion. And for what its worth, the Navi works fine, if you take the time to learn it. No Playstation-like graphics, but very functional and accurate for my purposes. Good luck with your decision.

My experience also.

The Nav/Bose in our 2009 sounds pretty good when the car is sitting still and shut off. Engine noise sitting still makes it sound not as good. Wind/tire noise at 75 mph makes it really crummy.

I tried the Blockit mats and could not detect any improvement. New Michelins helped, but after a while they get noisy too.

As for the Nav, we also have 4 cellphone Navs, 2 Garmins, and 2 other-maker factory navs. We have used the C6 factory Nav for nearly 150k miles over most of the US and parts of Canada. It's non-intuitive, but overall it works about as well as any other GPS. All of them work, none of them are perfect. They just have different issues from one make to another.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:12 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

My experience also.

The Nav/Bose in our 2009 sounds pretty good when the car is sitting still and shut off. Engine noise sitting still makes it sound not as good. Wind/tire noise at 75 mph makes it really crummy.

My '13 GS is just the opposite. Bose sounds excellent at any speed with my I pod touch.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:20 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I've got HUD in 3 diff vehicles and wonder why you would never use something that keeps your eyes from dropping down from the windshield. HUD gives a ton of info and you never take yours eyes off the road ahead.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

My '13 GS is just the opposite. Bose sounds excellent at any speed with my I pod touch.
IIRC, you later year guys got a different speaker setup than our 2009. We too are using an Ipod, so the sound input should be similar.

Hmmm, maybe better speakers would be worth it.
DDmods does good work, I'm told.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:10 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saplumr
I've got HUD in 3 diff vehicles and wonder why you would never use something that keeps your eyes from dropping down from the windshield. HUD gives a ton of info and you never take yours eyes off the road ahead.
I had it in my '12 coupe and now in my '13 GS. I just can't get used to it. I find it distracting and the couple of times I tried to like it, it just gives me a headache. I find enough info just from the gauges for my liking.
IIRC, you later year guys got a different speaker setup than our 2009. We too are using an Ipod, so the sound input should be similar.

Hmmm, maybe better speakers would be worth it.
DDmods does good work, I'm told.
d.
Were is your source music coming from that you put on your i pod. Like I said all my music is re equalized and then put on the i pod with the i pod set on flat EQ and use the head unit to control bass, treble etc.. sounds really good in my car and i do know music having played bass for a good part of my life. Some will disagree on the bose but I think it sounds excellent with the way my music is recorded.

Last edited by red2012; 08-28-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Search on this forum is your friend.

As the others have said, Double-D is the Go2 guy here for all audio needs.

That being said, I would recommend you avoid the Kenwood products. In the past, I was a huge Kenwood fan but after JVC bought them they have gone to crap and their head units are unreliable and buggy. I have had two in the last couple years and now I am going to replace them with Pioneer. Don't believe me? Go over to the KenwoodForum.com and check out what you are instore for if you are crazy enough to buy one of their crapulant products.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Flame Red

That being said, I would recommend you avoid the Kenwood products. In the past, I was a huge Kenwood fan but after JVC bought them they have gone to crap and their head units are unreliable and buggy. I have had two in the last couple years and now I am going to replace them with Pioneer. Don't believe me? Go over to the KenwoodForum.com and check out what you are instore for if you are crazy enough to buy one of their crapulant products.
I know all about Dennis and I have been on the phone with him three times this week already. He never tried to dissuade me from buying a kenwood product and that was the topic of our conversations for three days. And yes I am crazy enough and will take my chances.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:36 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
For the amount of time I actually use the unit, the factory NAV is fine. If there's an issue, my cell phone WAZE app takes over.

Get notified of new replies

To Swap out factory radio

Old 08-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Were is your source music coming from that you put on your i pod. Like I said all my music is re equalized and then put on the i pod with the i pod set on flat EQ and use the head unit to control bass, treble etc.. sounds really good in my car and i do know music having played bass for a good part of my life. Some will disagree on the bose but I think it sounds excellent with the way my music is recorded.
I downloaded into ITunes from my own CD's.
As mentioned, it sounds good when there is no engine/tire/wind noise, but those things seem to overpower the system when we are going places.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:12 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Flame Red

I have sent back 9 Pioneer units in last 2 weeks. 2 Kenwood units all year.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

As for the Nav, we also have 4 cellphone Navs, 2 Garmins, and 2 other-maker factory navs. We have used the C6 factory Nav for nearly 150k miles over most of the US and parts of Canada. It's non-intuitive, but overall it works about as well as any other GPS. All of them work, none of them are perfect. They just have different issues from one make to another.
Good summary of the Nav. The reason it is the same as a lot of other OEMs Nav systems is because it is a Denso which is used by a fair number of other auto manufacturers.

Bill

Quick Reply: Swap out factory radio