C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I test drove a 2008 Vette

Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Earlsays
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I test drove a 2008 Vette

So I finished up work for the day, saw that we still had the 03 Z06 M/T in stock, as well as an 08 base model - at least I think it was, no HUD

I drove the red one, the 2008...being an employee driving a company vehicle, company insurance, etc. I didn't really push it...I did notice, however, that it will get to that 70MPH speed limit in a hurry. This one was an automatic. Shifted great, I haven't driven one with a stick, I probably should, just to compare.

I have to say, I really liked it, definite complete polar opposite to my F150, but very, very cool, and very fun, and I know I would enjoy that car.

I do like the C5 interior better...to me it seems like everything about the interior of the C5 is of higher quality, but it could be that all my vette memories are in a C5.

I liked the layout of the C6, the window switches felt very strange to me. Again, I'd get used to that. Squeaks and rattles, but being a former Mustang owner, I'm used to that (and the vette wasn't as bad)

The interior did have a certain cheap feel to it...again, no worse than any Mustang I've ever owned/driven/ridden in.

I'm just not sure one way or another. I would owe pretty close to the same as I owe on my F150 if I where to swap, mid 20K range...and my payment would probably be somewhere in the range of 450-500, just like now. So that end of it would be the same.

Insurance, I'm not sure...31, clean record, no tickets, no accidents, nothing...but, single, no real discounts available either. Currently I pay 130/month through AAA for the truck...vette might be little higher, but probably not too bad.

I wouldn't be filling up with 26 gallons every time, and I would probably do better than 14-16MPG that I currently get out of my truck.

I really do love my truck, but it just seems like too much vehicle for me, no wife, no kids, not towing, not hauling, none of that...so why do I drive a supercrew F150?

AHHH I'm just not sure what to do....truck is low interest and getting paid down quickly...vette probably wouldn't be much higher, but still, making a change is a bit to think about...plus, being a diehard Ford guy, driving a vette would raise some eyebrows....however, they sure are fun...I keep going back to the whole "life is short, just do it" argument...I might have to make this happen, maybe not THIS vette, but one for sure.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:29 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Once you drive one you are hooked. This says it all "life is short, just do it"

Post pictures when you get it
Old 08-30-2014, 04:50 PM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Should not have drove it. I can attest to that!
Old 08-30-2014, 05:14 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'D GO TO AN EYE DOCTOR immediately if you think the c5 interior is better the the c6's...
As for the 08, check the harmonic balancer for wobble,take the top off and put it in the back and go find some bumps in the road to see if it rattles back there. If the noises you mentioned are with it on,the latches may need replacing. Do slow turns in the parking lot when cold and listen for creaking type sounds outback of the car.If you hear anything,the rear diff fluid needs changing.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 PM
montereyredvette
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 61 Posts

If your having trouble deciding between a pick-up and a Vette....you should probably keep the truck.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:42 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bhoch
Should not have drove it. I can attest to that!
'cause it sounds like you can't afford it.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Earlsays
6th Gear

I think I'm gonna do it, just not the one I drove today...I will find the one I want (I don't want a red or black one, not white either, anything else is fine) something with HUD, and all the goodies...it will be worth the wait. As for affordability, sure...I can swing it...hell, the truck was more than the used vette...I need to take care of a few things, get some ducks in a row first, which will give me time to find the right car anyway, and I'm already driving something I like, so, there's no rush factor...

I appreciate all the fine folks who contributed positivity to this thread, keep that going
Old 08-30-2014, 07:06 PM
vforrest
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How important (needed) is it to you that you "haul" things in the truck? You can't throw an ATV in the back of the Vette. If it's all about the fun...then it's a no brainer.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,439 Likes on 778 Posts

Interesting. I traded in my F-150 on my 2008, and have never looked back. Not regrets. It really depends on what it is you want. A Corvette or a pickup truck. I really like my 2008.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:20 PM
Earlsays
6th Gear

There's seemingly no need to haul anything, before I had the truck, it seemed like I always needed to move something, wanted to go after some piece of furnature or some such thing that I couldn't haul in my thunderbird, or in my mustang. Now, I guess my life is more stable, or different, those needs are gone, I didn't realize. I have used the truck as a truck a total of one maybe two times in a year.

The only thing I'd be missing out on with a truck, is, that I wouldn't be able to get a jet ski or a boat, which was one of the reasons I jumped on getting a truck...well, a year later, I am still finding myself on the fence about a boat, don't think I want one as badly as I thought (I guess I already got THAT out of my system)

But I still want a vette I went to the drag strip last weekend....took the F150, had fun with it, but running a big heavy truck in the 1/4 just feels strange to me...vette would be fun at the track
Old 08-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Joe Spinners
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm was on the same boat...single, no kids, but I do have a mortgage though. I had a '13 king ranch that I traded in for a low mileage C6 and never looked back. A test drive was what did it for me and I was hooked! I did end up buying a one owner '02 f150 fx4 pretty cheap as my daily driver though lol
Old 08-30-2014, 10:30 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Joe Spinners
I'm was on the same boat...single, no kids, but I do have a mortgage though. I had a '13 king ranch that I traded in for a low mileage C6 and never looked back. A test drive was what did it for me and I was hooked! I did end up buying a one owner '02 f150 fx4 pretty cheap as my daily driver though lol
as have you,i have best of both worlds F150 dd/2013 g.s for "Fun"(my f150 is 12 years old though) still going strong
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,001 Likes on 2,166 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlsays
I wouldn't be filling up with 26 gallons every time, and I would probably do better than 14-16MPG that I currently get out of my truck.

You don't want a vet with these criterium.

I average around 16 city, since I tend to be getting on it more than not (plus 24mpg when in 6th gear on the highway about to fall to sleep driving long distances bored out of my mind).

Also, there are two tanks in the vets, being one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. When you fill up the vet (more than half full), the drivers side tank first fills up, then over flows to the passengers tank to fill it up. The fuel is first used out of the passenger tank, then out of the drivers tank (the one you filled up first),

Why do I bring this up, its the passengers tank fuel gauge level sending unit in the passengers tank that when left with the tank empty, the rheostat pad contract bars of the unit loves to oxidize to cause the unit to fail, and at a cost of over $1K to replace it.

So for this reason, you don't leave the vet with the tanks empty. Yes you may run them down on a long road trip to empty them while you are driving it, but since the car ends up sitting for most of us that don't use them as DD's, we leave the car sitting with full tanks of fuel instead.

To be truthful, unless you have front pocket change (money to burn for new toys) to not only pay for the car, but the needed upkeep as well, then it may not be time for you to have a Vet. Truthfully, what I tell everyone looking to get a vet, if you have to finance a vet to own one, then it's not really for you.

Simply a vet is just another toy to own, and borrowing money for a toy that you will drive only when weather or time permitting is just living beyond your means. Same goes if you don't have the pocket money to blow away on up kept as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:58 AM
Mr. Smith
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

I average around 16 city, since I tend to be getting on it more than not (plus 24mpg when in 6th gear on the highway about to fall to sleep driving long distances bored out of my mind).

Also, there are two tanks in the vets, being one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. When you fill up the vet (more than half full), the drivers side tank first fills up, then over flows to the passengers tank to fill it up. The fuel is first used out of the passenger tank, then out of the drivers tank (the one you filled up first),

Why do I bring this up, its the passengers tank fuel gauge level sending unit in the passengers tank that when left with the tank empty, the rheostat pad contract bars of the unit loves to oxidize to cause the unit to fail, and at a cost of over $1K to replace it.

So for this reason, you don't leave the vet with the tanks empty. Yes you may run them down on a long road trip to empty them while you are driving it, but since the car ends up sitting for most of us that don't use them as DD's, we leave the car sitting with full tanks of fuel instead.

To be truthful, unless you have front pocket change (money to burn for new toys) to not only pay for the car, but the needed upkeep as well, then it may not be time for you to have a Vet. Truthfully, what I tell everyone looking to get a vet, if you have to finance a vet to own one, then it's not really for you.

Simply a vet is just another toy to own, and borrowing money for a toy that you will drive only when weather or time permitting is just living beyond your means. Same goes if you don't have the pocket money to blow away on up kept as well.

WoW.....! So everyone who doesn't have cash to pay for their Vette needs to not worry about owning one..? In your opinion nobody should ever finance a Vette? This is the most ridiculous comment I've read since being on this forum. Nobody wants to hear about your indirect financial bragging..... Good for you that you didn't need to make payments for yours! You're better than everyone here.... (That's what he wants to hear..). That was the worst advice to the OP that was completely unnecessary.

To the OP; a truck and a Vette are two vehicles that shouldn't even be compared.. I think a truck has it's purpose, but doesn't have the fun factor of the Vette. I'm in the you only live once category..... I say do it! I doubt you'll regret it after that test drive that left you with the feeling that brought you to post here,,,, know what I mean. Go find one and have fun with it!
Old 08-31-2014, 01:24 AM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

remember home depot rents trucks for $20 if you need one.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:36 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I like the look of the C5 interior better. It seems sportier. As far as how it feels and fit/finish? C6 is miles ahead, but a bit....antiseptic.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:49 PM
Earlsays
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Mr. Smith
WoW.....! So everyone who doesn't have cash to pay for their Vette needs to not worry about owning one..? In your opinion nobody should ever finance a Vette? This is the most ridiculous comment I've read since being on this forum. Nobody wants to hear about your indirect financial bragging..... Good for you that you didn't need to make payments for yours! You're better than everyone here.... (That's what he wants to hear..). That was the worst advice to the OP that was completely unnecessary.

To the OP; a truck and a Vette are two vehicles that shouldn't even be compared.. I think a truck has it's purpose, but doesn't have the fun factor of the Vette. I'm in the you only live once category..... I say do it! I doubt you'll regret it after that test drive that left you with the feeling that brought you to post here,,,, know what I mean. Go find one and have fun with it!
Thanks man...I didn't respond to that "front pocket change" comment, because I'm not into arguing with comments like that...I will have to finance the vette, as I am with the truck, I'm not independently wealthy, and I do have to get up and go to work every day to make anything happen for myself...I work hard, I put in long hours, and if I want something, generally, I go get it. It might take me longer than the average person to get what I want, but it's usually worth it.

I had a dream about the car I test drove last night...in the dream, I bought it...toward the end of the dream, for some reason, the car turned into a 70s Lincoln Continental Mark V, yellow and green, and the car had a full drum set mounted to the trunk...for some reason...when I woke up, the first thing I thought of was how cool the vette was, then laughed about the whole Lincoln end of the dream...weird as that was...

I will have a Corvette, maybe a C5, maybe a C6, who knows the specifics, but I will have one, hopefully before this year is over...but if it's next year, or event the year after that, so be it. Point is, dreams turn into goals, and goals turn into reality...it's not all about money for me, it's about living my life the way I want to live it.

Get notified of new replies

To I test drove a 2008 Vette

Old 08-31-2014, 07:57 PM
wlean99
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Earlsays
Thanks man...I didn't respond to that "front pocket change" comment, because I'm not into arguing with comments like that...I will have to finance the vette, as I am with the truck, I'm not independently wealthy, and I do have to get up and go to work every day to make anything happen for myself...I work hard, I put in long hours, and if I want something, generally, I go get it. It might take me longer than the average person to get what I want, but it's usually worth it.

I had a dream about the car I test drove last night...in the dream, I bought it...toward the end of the dream, for some reason, the car turned into a 70s Lincoln Continental Mark V, yellow and green, and the car had a full drum set mounted to the trunk...for some reason...when I woke up, the first thing I thought of was how cool the vette was, then laughed about the whole Lincoln end of the dream...weird as that was...

I will have a Corvette, maybe a C5, maybe a C6, who knows the specifics, but I will have one, hopefully before this year is over...but if it's next year, or event the year after that, so be it. Point is, dreams turn into goals, and goals turn into reality...it's not all about money for me, it's about living my life the way I want to live it.
man did you take an AMBIEN that night?? I had some wierd dreams on that stuff.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523

So unless you can pay cash for your Vette you shouldn't have one? Yeah,right. That way when you look back on your life you can tell yourself that even though you didn't get the vette you always wanted at least you were sensible and never lived beyond your means. No thanks. I'm not saying take on massive debt to live a dream but come on. Life is temporary.Its not going to matter after your gone. Do what you can to make it happen. Its still just a freaken car.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:29 PM
donwil
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Smith

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I test drove a 2008 Vette