C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:29 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Tire Repair

I took my tire to pep boys for a flat repair. Holiday weekend, and no one else was open. I rolled the tire in, and gave specific instructions, I wanted an inside repair with a patch-plug. The nail was perfectly centered in the tread, easy repair for an experienced technician.

3 hours later, I go back, and the morons plugged it from the outside.

If you research this, once a tire is plugged, it is not considered serviceable. Especially on a performance tire. In fact, the plug cannot be removed, you cannot grind it off, and patch over it. The tire is considered destroyed by an improper repair.

So they ruined a perfectly good tire, and now they are paying for a new tire, and installation. They admitted they did wrong, and are making it right. I went right up the ladder to the corporate office.

When you need a tire repair, make sure it's done with a patch-plug combination. And don't accept anything less.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:45 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Great that they are paying for the mistake, however you are left holding the bag as far as locating a replacement, since Pep Boys won't carry it and your time and inconvenience are worth something. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Tire Repair