C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defrost

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 PM
whitesnake81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Defrost

2005 C6 - The A/C blows cold and through the vents as it should. I push
the defrost button and the air moves to the floor board and not
to the defrost vent on top of the dash. I push the defrost button again and it circulates back to the A/C vent. In the mornings while running the A/C, it will cause moisture on the outside of the windshield in front of the defrost vent. Does anyone know what would cause the defrost not to work?
I would appreciate any help on this.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitesnake81
2005 C6 - The A/C blows cold and through the vents as it should. I push
the defrost button and the air moves to the floor board and not
to the defrost vent on top of the dash. I push the defrost button again and it circulates back to the A/C vent. In the mornings while running the A/C, it will cause moisture on the outside of the windshield in front of the defrost vent. Does anyone know what would cause the defrost not to work?
I would appreciate any help on this.

Old thread. Mine just started doing this too. The air would also go warm/hot at times while the AC was on.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:58 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

There was a thread about the 'mode doors' that re-direct the airflow, that may address your problem. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Major PITA to repair. Good Luck

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 07-12-2015 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
There was a thread about the 'mode doors' that re-direct the airflow, that may address your problem. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Major PITA to repair. Good Luck
Thanks, KJ. I don't believe mine is due to a delaminated mode door because it doesn't make a weird sound. It acts like the vacuum hoses that control it are switched. However, does the C6 use vacuum hoses to actuate the mode door? I don't even know where to begin looking. I had the var in for a recall and hope the mechanic didn't mess things up.

John
Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
Thanks, KJ. I don't believe mine is due to a delaminated mode door because it doesn't make a weird sound. It acts like the vacuum hoses that control it are switched. However, does the C6 use vacuum hoses to actuate the mode door? I don't even know where to begin looking. I had the var in for a recall and hope the mechanic didn't mess things up.

John
the parts blowup shows actuators..

just as a side note, i believe there are actuators that move parts (like shades) inside the unit, thats where usually the problem is when air moves incorrectly or fails to move properly.

this is a blow-up of the a/c unit. i think (but not positive) that the shades are item #1. the actuator is item #8, there are 2 of them(i know it show 3 of them but parts list says 2 required). also #29 is an actuator.

i am not a a/c unit repair person, but from what i can tell...
the purple area is for the dash vent air ,
the brown circle area is the shades

this is info i had saved from many years ago, i dont know what year the blow-up is for, but suspect its valid for all C6
Attached Images  

Last edited by ChevyDave; 07-15-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: fixed attachment
Old 07-20-2015, 02:51 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
the parts blowup shows actuators..

just as a side note, i believe there are actuators that move parts (like shades) inside the unit, thats where usually the problem is when air moves incorrectly or fails to move properly.

this is a blow-up of the a/c unit. i think (but not positive) that the shades are item #1. the actuator is item #8, there are 2 of them(i know it show 3 of them but parts list says 2 required). also #29 is an actuator.

i am not a a/c unit repair person, but from what i can tell...
the purple area is for the dash vent air ,
the brown circle area is the shades

this is info i had saved from many years ago, i dont know what year the blow-up is for, but suspect its valid for all C6
Thank you. Great diagram. If an actuator stops working, how does that make air flow to a whole nether part of the car? Seems like air woudl continue to flow to the vents rather than moving to the floor if the defrost actuator broke.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:32 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Default SOLVED! Disconnected the battery. Defrost works fine.

Either in this thread or another, someone mentioned that disconnecting the battery has corrected this issue with some who have experienced. I did just that. Disconnected the negative cable from the battery for one minute then reconnected. Defrost now works perfect.

God bless!

Get notified of new replies

To Defrost

Quick Reply: Defrost