C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette IQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:13 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Corvette IQ

What is it about our cars that makes our IQ drop by 40 points?

I saw a recent thread where someone was selling a set of wheels for $5000. (He'll probably get it too).

Then there's the guy who got a quote for a 4LT dash replacement of @$2200 to resolve some delimitation of the leather.

And don't even get me started on 'A' vendor who's prices are so high, he doesn't even post them on his own website. (hint, those $2 hunks of molded plastic masquerading as splash guards are going for $200)

Seriously. What is WRONG with people? Is it just me or do our cars make us lose any sense of intrinsic value? I can't blame the vendors. They'll charge whatever they can get, and they should.

We all hear and complain about the Corvette tax, but it exists only because we are willing to pay it.
</rant>

In any case, what other examples can folks share of absurd prices being happily paid for the privilege of maintaining or upgrading our cars?

Last edited by bobeast; 09-18-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The parts department at any Chevy dealer.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:47 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

I think its more of a value thing. Price and value are two different things. When one values something price means nothing (within reason of course).

We try to be fair on our pricing and reviews from our customers say we are. We believe in treating others how we would want to be treated.
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 09-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Some people that have got the money don't mind paying it.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by American Heritage
I think its more of a value thing. Price and value are two different things. When one values something price means nothing (within reason of course).

We try to be fair on our pricing and reviews from our customers say we are. We believe in treating others how we would want to be treated.
http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
From what I've seen your prices do seem to be fair. I would certainly not hold you up as an example of these absurdities.

In any case, my issue is more with people who are willing to pay the corvette tax than with any who would charge it.

I guess I consider value in a comparative sense. For example, when I see a used set of wheels going for the same price as a new supercharger, I have to mourn a village's loss of its idiot.

I think you uttered the key phrase "within reason".
Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Yeah, like those guys who go out and waste upwards of $40-60k+ for an impractical automobile that just seats two people and serves little purpose other than to break speed laws while enticing the owners to set aside big chunks of time keeping it looking better than when they left the showroom.

Why not purchase a more reasonably priced car that at a minimum has room for at least four people? You could get one of those for a fraction of what you would pay for that two-seater.
Old 09-19-2014, 12:29 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Yeah, like those guys who go out and waste upwards of $40-60k+ for an impractical automobile that just seats two people and serves little purpose other than to break speed laws while enticing the owners to set aside big chunks of time keeping it looking better than when they left the showroom.

Why not purchase a more reasonably priced car that at a minimum has room for at least four people? You could get one of those for a fraction of what you would pay for that two-seater.
While I recognize (and appreciate) the sarcasm, I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. Are you suggesting that since we paid so much for our cars, that a $5000 set of used wheels makes sense?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by bobeast
While I recognize (and appreciate) the sarcasm, I'm not sure I'm understanding your point. Are you suggesting that since we paid so much for our cars, that a $5000 set of used wheels makes sense?
It's just Greed and that is all there is to it. Some times I cannot believe what some people ask for old JUNK parts. I see people every day try to sell a let's say used NAV unit for $500 because it is a piece of garbage and they removed it from their car. For that money you can buy state of the art sound and like you say some damn fool will buy it. There is an old saying "there's a sucker born every day" just try not to be that sucker.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

In any case, what other examples can folks share of absurd prices being happily paid for the privilege of maintaining or upgrading our cars?
You mean like buying brand new ($1700) OEM Z06 mufflers just to get like ~2' of extra 3" piping for improved sound on one's Grand Sport? Good thing I don't know anyone that dumb.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:16 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

@bobeast... if some is charging something why do you really care? Don't buy it and then never buy from them. I certainly don't when I see that kind of stuff...

Look at what dealers and many forum vendor dealers have been asking for C7's. Then when they need to clear out inventory they make it sound like they are doing us a favor with a discount or decide to accept various incentives...... There are a number of the forum dealers I will never buy from now because of there BS. Yes, they can charge and get what they can... But when they act like they are doing us a favor on a discount.. Blah!...
Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

My point, and I'm glad you appreciate the sarcasm, was that everything Corvette related is 'excessive.' Whether spending lots of money on the car itself which nobody really "needs', or spending lots of money on high-priced accessories, again which nobody really 'needs', it's all very unnecessary.

I do understand that greedy vendors jack up prices knowing full well that we Vette owners will likely pay whatever they demand because we can likely afford it. But we all know what happens when we fix our minds on that certain something that our cars just 'need' to have. Vendors know that and price those items accordingly to whatever the market will bear.

Buying an expensive Corvette is as nonsensical to the non-Corvette person as is the purchase of a $5,000 set of wheels to some of us.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:57 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I am often amazed that someone will buy a 50k Vette...install 20k worth of mods that make the car worth 40k and when they try to sell it can't they can find a buyer....and for what a couple drag races or a couple smoky burn outs? 💸💸💸💸💸💸
Old 09-19-2014, 07:39 AM
high9s
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Judgebull
I am often amazehitsat someone will buy a 50k Vette...install 20k worth of mods that make the car worth 40k and when they try to sell it can't they can find a buyer....and for what a couple drag races or a couple smoky burn outs? ������������
Judge you are looking at it the wrong way, you want to be the guy that buys that car and for alot less than asking price. Let them take the new car hit and the mod hit.

If you think Corvettes are bad, Harley Davidson wins hands down. people spend 20 to 35 thousand Dollars on a motorcycle that is basically worth about $12,000 an air-cooled v-twin that makes about 60 horsepower and weighs 900 pounds the year is 2014 seriously. HD will not even post HP numbers...anywhere.

Then the happy new owner will buy a thousand dollars worth of leathers at the dealer and helmet and put another 10 to 15 thousand in chrome and other crap on the bike (you do get a free T-shirt). HD=hundred dollars. before the flaming starts I own one. It just amazes me.

People/businesses need to study Harley Davidsons business model, it is a Gold Mine they created.

Last edited by high9s; 09-19-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

I dont think this phenomenon exists only with Vettes. Lots of specialty things have ridiculous price tags attached. Hunting, fishing, golf, purses, clothing,etc etc..... People find a way to p!$$ lots of money away on plenty of things.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 AM
Rky Mtn C6
Le Mans Master

Received 890 Likes on 375 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C7 of the Year Finalist -- Modified

I agree. Look at the people who drop $6k on a supercharger, only to have it sit in the garage. Not to mention those who "lower" their cars. For what? To test the skid plates.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
oldtee
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try Porsche prices. They will drain your wallet faster then 2 days in Las Vegas.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Doing your homework and shopping smart goes a long way to save some money. It's no different than buying furniture or a TV or anything else. When companies make specialty items and you want them, you pay specialty prices!!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette IQ

Old 09-19-2014, 09:41 AM
dctex99
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, some people think my having 85 watches is excessive "because you can only wear one",,,to each their own! BTW watch sales are up significantly even tho people will say that they don't NEED one because they can look at their phone......lol. They are NOT for telling time; rather appreciating the fine machining and movements.......ok, back to Vettes....
Old 09-19-2014, 10:22 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Some times I cannot believe what some people ask for old JUNK parts. I see people every day try to sell a let's say used NAV unit for $500 because it is a piece of garbage and they removed it from their car. .
Your missing the point on that one. People know it's not a good nav unit but they are willing to pay the price because they want to keep their car all original.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm not sure the IQ's drop when one buys a Corvette.....I think it may be the fact that these forums just gives us more of an exposure to the "Intellectually Challenged"....LOL. Just look at some of the opinions that are posted. Then we all just kinda accept it when the "Intellectually Challenged" fall back on the ol cliché of "We all have a right to our opinion"....LOL. I got no problem with people expressing their opinions....but sometimes their opinions ain't worth !@#$.

Quick Reply: Corvette IQ