C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this tune conservative enough for track days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:10 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Is this tune conservative enough for track days?

I couldn't get no bites in the "scan and tune" forum, so let's try here

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-specific.html

I just want to be sure I don't run too lean, if I hammer it for a half hour with this tune. I won't have my wideband sensor installed before the event, so just looking for experienced tuners to make me feel a little more at ease....

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I'll be honest it's kind of hard to tell with that graph considering it doesn't show a "Max A/F" at a fidelity that is really useful. It leans out at 3k then gets more rich after about 3300 and then stays in what I would think is in a pretty safe/rich AFR at the top end; I'm no expert though.

What kind of wideband did the tuner use. Do you have cats? It's really hard to tell without a real data
Old 09-22-2014, 02:57 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Fuel cools the motors (why you want to run the motor at 12.5 or greater where it should pull most of the power), so regarding dropping the AFR down below 12.5, your just asking to over heat the motor over longer periods.

Next was this tune only done on the Dyno alone, or was the car taken out to road test final the tune instead?

Also, might help to just post the tune file if you are asking about a tune.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-22-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:14 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Dano523
Fuel cools the motors (why you want to run the motor at 12.5 or greater where it should pull most of the power), so regarding dropping the AFR down below 12.5, your just asking to over heat the motor over longer periods.

Next was this tune only done on the Dyno alone, or was the car taken out to road test final the tune instead?

Higher numbers actually mean more lean (less fuel more heat).

Lower should safer to a point.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I'll be honest it's kind of hard to tell with that graph considering it doesn't show a "Max A/F" at a fidelity that is really useful. It leans out at 3k then gets more rich after about 3300 and then stays in what I would think is in a pretty safe/rich AFR at the top end; I'm no expert though.

What kind of wideband did the tuner use. Do you have cats? It's really hard to tell without a real data
Thanks for the additional questions, I'm just learning about computerized tuning. He used a Bosch wideband O2 sensor, they screwed it into one of the X pipe threaded bungs, where I will eventually install my own O2 sensor. This tune was minutes after installation of LG SuperPro 1 7/8 headers with the high flow cats and 3" piping, to the factory 2 1/2 NPP mufflers.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:49 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dano523

The tune was done on the dyno alone. It feels good on the street, but I'll wind it up in a safe stretch of highway, and pull the plugs to look at them too. In fact, even at the track I may pull the plugs, just to give me more of a comfort factor.

I'll ask them to email me the tune in the meantime, for both my factory tune and this installed tune. I feel better having it saved in two places anyway, in case something happens to the shop, etc.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by Seadawg
The tune was done on the dyno alone. It feels good on the street, but I'll wind it up in a safe stretch of highway, and pull the plugs to look at them too. In fact, even at the track I may pull the plugs, just to give me more of a comfort factor.

I'll ask them to email me the tune in the meantime, for both my factory tune and this installed tune. I feel better having it saved in two places anyway, in case something happens to the shop, etc.
That's a great idea! I'd ask the tuner if he can see max A/f in his logs as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this tune conservative enough for track days?

Quick Reply: Is this tune conservative enough for track days?