C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Press brake to start question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:04 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Press brake to start question.

The last couple days when starting the car the"press brake to start" message would come on. So I would take my foot off of the brake, put it back on and start the car. This morning it said the same thing and won't start. Just say's "press brake to start". Anyone know the problem? I'm assuming a switch? Thanks!!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Are you pressing it enough?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Are you pressing it enough?
I jumped in the truck and am already at work. But yes I'm pretty sure I pressed it as I normally do then even harder. I'm assuming since the last few days it said that and never has before something was slowly going out??
Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

There is no switch. There is a position sensor that tells the BCM computer the exact position at all times. The BCM watches the position and when it moves down from its previous position the BCM says you are pressing the brake pedal. So it sounds like there is an issue with the position sensor. Read the codes. There are 8 that could identify the specific issue with this sensor.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
There is no switch. There is a position sensor that tells the BCM computer the exact position at all times. The BCM watches the position and when it moves down from its previous position the BCM says you are pressing the brake pedal. So it sounds like there is an issue with the position sensor. Read the codes. There are 8 that could identify the specific issue with this sensor.
I'm just guessing, BCM means Brake Control Module? And reading the codes, I would need to find someone with a code reader to come to the house.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

BCM - Body Control Module. That is the computer that supervises and controls most of the body functions as opposed to the ECM (Engine Control Module) that handles the engine and transmission.

You can stop and Wal-Mart and get a code reader. They are $25 on the Internet and $50 at Wal-Mart. Any auto parts store will have them also. You don't need an expensive one but, like a simple tool kit, everyone needs one.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Don't the auto parts stores rent those readers? I know they rent tools.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

I know Autozone rents tools but not a code reader. They will read the codes for you but it is such a quick job to do in the parking lot they don't have a procedure to let you keep the tool. Problem is the OP can't get the car started so he can't take it to a auto place to get the codes read for free.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 PM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Got home this afternoon and tried to start it again, still said the same. Then went back and pushed the brake harder than usual. It started and has started ever since. Oh well??
Old 09-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I am guessing this is unique to auto cars, in my 6mn I just have to depress the clutch to start. It sounds like the brake switch is either on its way out, or is out of adjustment. I know on older cars the switch could be moved back and fourth. Do your brake lights work ? Do you hear the relay clicking from under the passenger side when you press the brake pedal ? Maybe the switch was pushed to the end of its adjustment and now only engages at the very end of the brake pedal travel.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:12 AM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

My 13 GS is the same. If I let it sit for a week I have to use both feet on the brake to get it to start. If one or two days a little pressure works..
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 AM
ALLEN007
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I am guessing this is unique to auto cars, in my 6mn I just have to depress the clutch to start. It sounds like the brake switch is either on its way out, or is out of adjustment. I know on older cars the switch could be moved back and fourth. Do your brake lights work ? Do you hear the relay clicking from under the passenger side when you press the brake pedal ? Maybe the switch was pushed to the end of its adjustment and now only engages at the very end of the brake pedal travel.
Yes I do hear the relay clicking when I press the brakes. I think I'm going to replace the brake switch just in case.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 AM
MTsVette
Drifting

Location: O'Fallon Illinois - Currently own a 2016 Z06 1LZ A8 Coupe
Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
My 13 GS is the same. If I let it sit for a week I have to use both feet on the brake to get it to start. If one or two days a little pressure works..
I've noticed on occasion that after the car sits for a day or two, the brake pedal is hard to push. But it starts.

I have a '12 GS...A6

MT
Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Some mornings my brake booster sill has some vacuum, I believe, making the brake pedal an easy push. Other mornings it doesn't, causing a stiff pedal.

Get notified of new replies

To Press brake to start question.

Quick Reply: Press brake to start question.