C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish the Corvette wasn't made by GM

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:13 PM
mozz51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish the Corvette wasn't made by GM

First, let me say I love my Corvette. The Vette is my first GM vehicle. I've had many Ford's, Chryslers, Acuras, and a Mazda. The Vette is an 05 with 58,000 miles. So far the driver door lock actuator, Body Control Module, alternator, water pump have all been replaced and the shifting is getting a little notchy. Never had that many problems with other manufacturers and this is on the brand's halo car. Anyone else having repair issues?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM
The Director
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mozz51
Wish the Corvette wasn't made by GM
Thousands and thousands of people have been saying that for years and years.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:30 PM
mozz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Director
Thousands and thousands of people have been saying that for years and years.
Yet there's not another car I would rather have. So are we just not very bright or what?
Old 09-23-2014, 05:46 PM
vara411
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

It's very much a case of the "other hands."

On one hand, GM has a lot of resources to bear, which helps accelerate Corvette Division's R&D, I would imagine. Shared components/tech, corporate relations also reduce costs. They also have a robust distribution channel.

On the other hand, GM could, despite the bailout, go t*ts up. That would drastically affect the car. Funding difficulties have delayed or scrapped different designs.

It's a mix. But I'm with you: I love this car. It's got a soul, and GM has managed to improve the car without robbing it of that.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Yet there's not another car I would rather have. So are we just not very bright or what?
ha. name another lightweight, stylish v8 coupe that can hang with cars that are much more expensive, still get upper 20s mpg freeway and still able to haul a considerable amount of stuff in the trunk. we are driving our only option, there is no real competition in my eyes.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:58 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

The best GM cars are built by Holden and they will close soon. Holden still builds the Chevy SS but not for long. They missed the ball with the new CEO it should have been Bob Lutz.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,050 Posts

What does "made by GM" really mean nowadays? My weeknight / weekend car is a 2013 GS vert purchased new in June 2013. Now with over 10,000 miles and not a single issue. My daily driver is my wife's hand-me-down 2006 Toyota Matrix. That "made by Toyota" car is of great quality even though it was made by GM in Canada. Incidentally, the Pontiac Vibe that shared the same chassis etc was made by Toyota in Fremont CA. Curious, isn't it? I am proud to own a GM car that is made in the U.S.A. even though there are numerous foreign-made components. Such is life.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM
mozz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by simplegto
The best GM cars are built by Holden and they will close soon. Holden still builds the Chevy SS but not for long. They missed the ball with the new CEO it should have been Bob Lutz.
But the corporate bean counters would never let that happen. Lutz is too much of a car guy.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM
rsparks64
Drifting

Received 278 Likes on 160 Posts

First, let me say I love my Corvette. The Vette is my first GM vehicle. I've had many Ford's, Chryslers, Acuras, and a Mazda. The Vette is an 05 with 58,000 miles. So far the driver door lock actuator, Body Control Module, alternator, water pump have all been replaced and the shifting is getting a little notchy. Never had that many problems with other manufacturers and this is on the brand's halo car. Anyone else having repair issues?
Think how bad it would be if it were a Dodge or a Ford.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:07 PM
mozz51
Instructor

Originally Posted by rsparks64
Think how bad it would be if it were a Dodge or a Ford.
I've owned many ford trucks and cars with no major issues. I can't fault their build quality. My DD is a Fusion. I had my '78 1 ton pickup for over 20 years. it just ran and ran. Problem is Ford has nothing to compete with the corvette.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:14 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Entaille
ha. name another lightweight, stylish v8 coupe that can hang with cars that are much more expensive, still get upper 20s mpg freeway and still able to haul a considerable amount of stuff in the trunk. we are driving our only option, there is no real competition in my eyes.
I agree..... It's American! ( and, yes, I know many parts are not ) but what is more "American" in the performance and nostalgia department than the Corvette, Harleys, and the Mustang!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:31 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
What does "made by GM" really mean nowadays? My weeknight / weekend car is a 2013 GS vert purchased new in June 2013. Now with over 10,000 miles and not a single issue. My daily driver is my wife's hand-me-down 2006 Toyota Matrix. That "made by Toyota" car is of great quality even though it was made by GM in Canada. Incidentally, the Pontiac Vibe that shared the same chassis etc was made by Toyota in Fremont CA. Curious, isn't it? I am proud to own a GM car that is made in the U.S.A. even though there are numerous foreign-made components. Such is life.
i think it means made by "grumpy men." somtimes it really shows, doesn't it?
Old 09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

I've owned many ford trucks and cars with no major issues. I can't fault their build quality. My DD is a Fusion. I had my '78 1 ton pickup for over 20 years. it just ran and ran. Problem is Ford has nothing to compete with the corvette.
Nope, not since 1957.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 PM
JimmyLee
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 200 Likes on 116 Posts

There have been several high mileage reports on this forum of C6 owners with outstanding reliability. It's always a crapshoot, no matter what brand you buy.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Part of the problem is the comparison. Trucks and passenger cars are usually less trouble prone than cutting edge sports cars. Packaging constraints (weight, size), environment issues (proximity to heat, lower vehicle mass, stiffer suspension), and cost (low production = higher unit cost = higher tradeoff in cost vs. sourcing) all conspire against the Vette. Yet overall problems are not really any higher than the majority of the vehicles out there. Trucks in general are built to be bulletproof first, and weight/cost/performance second.

Sorry to hear about your problems with your '05. Most C6 owners haven't had that many issues - some have had more. I know many will jump all over me for this, but there's a reason I never buy a first year car - Chevy or otherwise. Done it once before (82 Firebird), and had a similar experience to yours. My 2007 C6 has been pretty much issue free, apart from Chevy's poor radiator design.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

I was very hesitant when I bought my 1st corvette (2001) because of all the problems we previously had with GM products (e.g., 3 Cadillacs became lemons----one electrical; one had about 9-12 water pumps installed in 13 months; and one was an unsolvable oil problem since day 1). Since then I have had 2 Lexus's with ZERO issues; and my wife and daughter have had BMW's---with ZERO issues except dirty rims). But here is the kicker---and the real truth---if Lexus, BMW or some other reliable firm were selling the Corvette it would be for a price WELL beyond my means. I have to give credit to GM when it is due-----they have priced the corvettes right! And, I have not had ANY issues with the 4 corvettes I have owned (all with mileage under 20,000).
Old 09-23-2014, 06:56 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyLee
It's always a crapshoot, no matter what brand you buy.

My last two work/surf vehicles have been Fords. The last one went 178,000 miles with no major problems. The current Ford has 37,000 miles and is the worst car I have ever owned.
Crapshoot is right. My 2007 Corvette is spectacular.

Get notified of new replies

To Wish the Corvette wasn't made by GM

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Our last Ford Escape was the biggest piece of crap we have ever owned. Three winters and it was rusting out in the quarter panels, had more rattles, was noisy, and rode like $h!t. Traded it in for a Buick Encore and couldn't be more happy.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:05 PM
dctex99
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You bought the first year of the C6; a very complicated car....and yours is 10 years old; Good luck...
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Richard Ames
Drifting

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Trade for a Viper, your Corvette is over 9 years old. We traded a trouble free 04 Durango and grandkids ended up with it and they are fixing a lot of items.

Quick Reply: Wish the Corvette wasn't made by GM