C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System Service Warning????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 12:55 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
Default Fuel System Service Warning????

I need some advice regarding getting the Fuel System Service warning light on my display. I have a 2005 with 51K miles. This is what happened: Last week my gas gauge was down to just below 1/8th of a tank and I was within a few miles of getting gas. All of a sudden I look down and my gas gauge dial drops to nothing. Right about that time, a warning message shows up on my display "Fuel System Service". I made it to the gas station and filled up my tank. When I started it up, the gauge read normally but my check engine icon light was on. The next morning I drove it to the GM Dealership where I bought it and they checked it out. They reset the computer so the light went away but were not sure what else it could be other than the possibility of a fuel send issue in the gas tank. They said that if it happened again, I should bring it to a Chevy Service Center as their GM Center would not have the tools to repair it. Isn't Chevy a GM product? I guess that's another story! Anyway, they said that the tank may have to be dropped for a repair. Also, they said that the Vette has 2 tanks which I did not know. It's been a week now and have driven it over 500 miles and have not had any light come on since. The car drives well and even when the light came on I did not notice any performance drop. Is it possible that this occurred because the gas level dropped too low which triggered something in the computer system or is there possibly another issue I can "look forward to" in the future?
Old 09-26-2014, 01:25 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Get a can of Techron from Walmart and add it to a full tank of gas. That usually solves these type of things.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:06 PM
JAsVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by EVRose
Get a can of Techron from Walmart and add it to a full tank of gas. That usually solves these type of things.
Thanks...I guess it couldn't hurt, and who knows!!!!!
Old 09-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,826 Likes on 1,968 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Try the Techron for a couple of fills and if you can use Tier 1 fuels....like Shell V-Power and others like it....Chevron gas has techron in it. If it is your fuel level sensors then it will throw a P2068 or P2066 code. The tech's can do other test with an Ohm meter to see if it is actually the fuel sensor. Your 3/36 warranty will cover this or a GMPP warranty but with or without warranty it requires the fuel tank to be dropped to fix the sensors.........I know all this because it just happened to me. It is now fixed.

Make sure you know what is going on before you let the dealer take you for a ride on it....there are lots of threads on this subject on the forum....good luck with it......
Old 09-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,016 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Granted that you can add the techron now, but it's better to add when you are below 1/2 on the gauge, and filling up the car instead.

The way that it works,

You fill the drivers tank, and once its full (gauge at 1/2), the fuel from the drivers tank is sloshed over via cross over tube to fill the passenger tank.

When the car is using fuel, it pulls all the fuel from the passenger tank first, then uses the driver tank fuel last.

So to get the Techron mixed with the fuel and into both tanks, you want to get the gauge below 1/2 before you fill up so the techron can be mixed with the fuel going into the drivers tank, which is them sloshed over to the passenger tank.

On the same token, if you are keeping the car under 1/2 full, then you are driving around with a empty passenger tank that is allowing air to get to the fuel level sensor pad in the passenger tank, requiring the use of Techron to clean the the oxidation off the fuel level sensor pad to prevent the codes.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel System Service Warning????

Quick Reply: Fuel System Service Warning????