C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key fob reprogram question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
dominatorishere
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key fob reprogram question.

my 2005 c6 only had one key fob. i recently purchased a #2 on ebay and programmed it but noticed that the car added it as the #3 instead of the #2. This means there might be a #2 floating out in the real world. Is there a reprogram method that would allow me to make my new fob #2 and erase the missing #2. Or, is there a method that would let me erase all fobs and start over? I reviewed the methods in the forum and the manual and none fit my situation. i would like to avoid going to the dealership if possible. Any help would be great.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:59 AM
GL10DR
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dominatorishere
my 2005 c6 only had one key fob. i recently purchased a #2 on ebay and programmed it but noticed that the car added it as the #3 instead of the #2. This means there might be a #2 floating out in the real world. Is there a reprogram method that would allow me to make my new fob #2 and erase the missing #2. Or, is there a method that would let me erase all fobs and start over? I reviewed the methods in the forum and the manual and none fit my situation. i would like to avoid going to the dealership if possible. Any help would be great.
You are correct, there is a #2 fob somewhere. You will need to do the long method to reprogram your fobs. Make sure you test the glove box slot before you start this procedure.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...hat-to-do.html

http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6FobProgramming.pdf
Old 10-01-2014, 10:31 AM
SmileyOr
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm about to do this for my car as well. If I remember correctly from reading through the how to, the new programming will be unique and the old FOB will no longer work should it ever be found.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The number on the fob cover doesn't mean much, internally they are all the same.

The "difference" is in the sequence they are introduced to the car. The first will always be number 1, the second will be number 2 and so forth. fob numbers 1 and 2 are the only ones that can be personalized for the memory functions.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:21 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dominatorishere
These instructions fit your question exactly, erasing all and starting anew with the fobs you have, while deleting any missing fobs:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tructions.html
Old 10-02-2014, 02:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by SmileyOr
I'm about to do this for my car as well. If I remember correctly from reading through the how to, the new programming will be unique and the old FOB will no longer work should it ever be found.
The short procedure will add the fob as the next consecutive number, leaving current fobs intact. The long procedure deletes all fobs and starts anew with the new ones that you currently have.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:28 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
The short procedure will add the fob as the next consecutive number, leaving current fobs intact. The long procedure deletes all fobs and starts anew with the new ones that you currently have.

That's what I was remembering. My current key is the #2 key. My last 4 cars were purchased through an auction or were sold at auction at some point and the key's I have had were the #2 instead of the #1 key.

I have purchased a second key and I'm just waiting on the key to arrive from Performance Corvettes. Should be here, but the USPS system has some issues with NE vs N and they can't seem to find me at the company address I gave them due to this single error. I live on NE ST and work on N ST and my autofill was entered incorrectly the first time and it's stuck. I thought I edited it, but perhaps didn't save the changes. Different zip codes, but all else the same.

I'll be sure to test first though to be sure the system works before starting the long procedure to set the new key as #1 and the old key as #2.
Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 AM
dominatorishere
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys I did the long program and everything worked out fine. 2 fobs programmed and were good to go. Thanks again.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 PM
SmileyOr
Pro

Completed the long programming and Home Depot was able to cut the key with the #28 GMC/BUICK/CHEV tooling. It had to run through the cutting process twice to get the cuts defined completely.

The process reset my radio and navigation. This should be added to the how to's.

Thanks for adding the additional personal experiences.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 10-05-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional info

Get notified of new replies

To key fob reprogram question.

Quick Reply: key fob reprogram question.