C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas cap problem-Traction control

Old 10-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Nitemare9
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas cap problem-Traction control

Has any one had a problem with the gas cap not staying tight??? It causes the DIC to flash the "service engine" light and the DIC says the "Traction control" needs service and the car goes into low power mode. The "traction control off" light comes on. I went to the dealer the first time it happened and don't know what they did, but got it back and they said the codes were cleared. I find out it happens after getting gas, if the gas cap is not in the right position. It seems the cap is very loose when I put it on and does not get tight and if it's in the wrong spot, all the warnings come up until I go out and reposition the cap, and then everything clears on the DIC. Any ideas???
Old 10-02-2014, 02:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Nitemare9
Has any one had a problem with the gas cap not staying tight??? It causes the DIC to flash the "service engine" light and the DIC says the "Traction control" needs service and the car goes into low power mode. The "traction control off" light comes on. I went to the dealer the first time it happened and don't know what they did, but got it back and they said the codes were cleared. I find out it happens after getting gas, if the gas cap is not in the right position. It seems the cap is very loose when I put it on and does not get tight and if it's in the wrong spot, all the warnings come up until I go out and reposition the cap, and then everything clears on the DIC. Any ideas???
The C7 doesn't have a gas cap.

Were you intending to post this in the C6 section of the forum?

In your details above, it's time for a new gas cap. It should always be tight and should be tight with a quarter turn and then a few clicks.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM
vettetwo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

Why are you removing the gas cap? You are supposed to fill through the door in the middle of the cap.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Nitemare9
Instructor

Default Opps

Wrong Forum, sorry................
Old 10-02-2014, 03:41 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 908 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

Now that you are in the right forum............
I have found through trial & error, that the gas cap needs minimal pressure put on it to correctly lock. I was pressing inward on the cap and it would not lock in place. Just place the cap in the neck and gently turn clockwise 1/4 turn.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 PM
frankb
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
I have found through trial & error, that the gas cap needs minimal pressure put on it to correctly lock. I was pressing inward on the cap and it would not lock in place. Just place the cap in the neck and gently turn clockwise 1/4 turn.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:00 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by duckvett
I would go so far as to even slightly pull on the cap as it gets threaded. For some reason, that seems to help.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Good advice has been given on gas cap. Gas cap has absolutley nothing to do with traction control.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM
Nitemare9
Instructor

OK, maybe the gas cap has absolutely nothing to do with traction control, but loosen up your gas cap and see what happens. When it's not tight, my DIC lights up with traction control failure and reduced power mode.
I tried putting the cap in lightly and turning a 1/4 of a turn, and guess what, it locks. I have been pushing harder and harder trying to get it to lock and that doesn't work. I have not driven the car yet, but I'm sure it will drive fine. Thanks for the response.
I've had the 427 for over a year, so I guess I got it right by accident some times.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:59 AM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

OK, maybe the gas cap has absolutely nothing to do with traction control, but loosen up your gas cap and see what happens. When it's not tight, my DIC lights up with traction control failure and reduced power mode.
I tried putting the cap in lightly and turning a 1/4 of a turn, and guess what, it locks. I have been pushing harder and harder trying to get it to lock and that doesn't work. I have not driven the car yet, but I'm sure it will drive fine. Thanks for the response.
I've had the 427 for over a year, so I guess I got it right by accident some times.
At first just turning works fine, and like on most cars I would turn until it clicked several times. Actually the C6 cap should only be turned one click. And as it got older it would work as well so I would push down and have problems. By the time I learned you not push down and only go one click, about a year, the cap was ruined. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas cap problem-Traction control

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gas cap problem-Traction control